Kuiu vs Mystery Ranch Packs

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I have kuiu and my hunting partner has mystery ranch. I run a 3000 as a day pack and have a 7000 ultra for pack trips. I love the low weight. I have packed lots of meat with the 3000.

The advantages of the kuiu is much lighter as a day pack. The MR is way burlier. When packing meat my friends MR won. Especially packing a rack where it was stiffer and easier to attach.

I just bought the Kuiu load hauler and I think it will be an improvement for hauling racks over the frame plus 3000 bag.

I also have a Tatonka that is amazing hauling big quarters.....

My take is KUIU is still better if you care about weight. When I’m in the bush for a long day I want to keep pack weight reasonable so this combination works for me.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at the MR Marshall too....

I traded a Kifaru Spike Camp for mine and couldn't be happier.

It's got design elements from the old Dana Designs Terraplane, the NICE frame 6500, but currently on the Guidelight MT frame. (So way lighter) I rarely will fill it up, but it secures loads well even if I only use the tube pockets. Mine is the version on the original Guidelight frame (not MT).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

zippe444

FNG
Ive been running a icon for the last 6 years and havent had any problems with it hauling elk out

jhoff04

FNG
I've been very pleased with my MR Sawtooth 45. I have packed out a couple of cow elk and a couple of deer with it in the past 2 years and have been thoroughly impressed with it's capabilities and toughness. I know there are probably better packs out there but for a premium price (i.e. Kifaru).

For what it's worth, several websites currently have the '23 MR Metcalf's on closeout... would be a heck of a deal for someone not wanting to spend $500+ on a pack.

I've tried MR a couple of times and can't make it work. Fit isn't good for me, which is the biggest issue, but their bags also lack intelligent design and are frustratingly "strappy" in use. I also hated Kuiu the first time I tried them, but the newer stuff works well from a fit perspective and the bags are very usable. Ultimately you can get used to any bag, so focus on finding the best fit.

Second vote that the MR’s are scrappy. The compression straps that are buckles on both ends opposed to sewn on are very easy to lose. I ended up just buying like an 8 pack of them from MR because I kept leaving them on mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony

WKR
Camofire has bear tooth bags only and metcalfs listed today for the next 10 hours as of my post.