Kuiu peloton 97 vs ultra merino 145

I need the help of a kuiu expert or someone with a lot of kuiu experience...
I called the kuiu shop and was told by someone in CS that the peloton 97 and the merino 145 hoodie were essentially the same in terms of warmth. Anybody able to compare the two?

I have a 145, but am looking at getting a 97 hoodie and now I'm rethinking that idea if they are really similar in warmth. I have used the 145 a lot as a base layer or over a merino 125 and I like the piece, but it's kind of an awkward in between piece for me.

LightFoot

WKR
The merino will warm you in the cold and cool you in the heat. The synthetic will just warm you.

The peloton 97 is one of the most comfortable base or midlayer because it is so soft, light, and warm.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
E
The merino will warm you in the cold and cool you in the heat. The synthetic will just warm you.

The peloton 97 is one of the most comfortable base or midlayer because it is so soft, light, and warm.

As far as warmth is concerned, are they really rough equivalents?
Do you happen to have both pieces?

LightFoot

WKR
I have both. I can't say that I've compared the side by side like that. I like merino as a base layer, so the 97 is usually a midlayer over the 145.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d give a slight edge to the 145 because it’s woven tighter, 97 let’s air through easily. Size wise I’d go up one with the 97, a large 145 fits me perfectly but the large 97 is a little tight and a shorter cut. The 97 is my favorite midlayer when active (add a shell to break wind). 97 will dry way faster than the 145 if that’s a factor for ya.

Clarence

WKR
I think of the 97 as more of a midlayer. In my opinion it is one of kuiu's best pieces. In my system, the 2 pieces serve a different use.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
I think of the 97 as more of a midlayer. In my opinion it is one of kuiu's best pieces. In my system, the 2 pieces serve a different use.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

No possible way a 145 merino comes close to a peloton 97 for warmth.
I use short sleeve 145 merino or a peloton 118 then wear the 97 over.
The peloton 97 has a lofted fleece but is extremely light and has a huge warmth to weight ratio. Only complaint is tendency to pull threads if they catch on brush but I’ve had mine since they came out and it’s going strong still

Elikini

FNG
Like many have said, they are different pieces for me. The merino 145 is used as a baselayer with the 97 as a mid layer. The 97 is way light (but warm) and don't ever like it as an outer layer due to the lofted fleece catching on things. Thats the only thing I worry about with it but I have had it for 2 seasons with not issues so far.

OP
E
Comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. The Ultra Merino is a baselayer and the Peloton 97 is an ultralight midlayer fleece.
That is why I figured I had to ask around here. The CS person said that and I was a little surprised to be totally honest. I don't consider the 145 to be incredibly warm. I'd honestly put it just above the core lightweight hoody in terms of warmth. Which lead me to reconsider the 97 I have been looking at.

OP
E
I’d give a slight edge to the 145 because it’s woven tighter, 97 let’s air through easily. Size wise I’d go up one with the 97, a large 145 fits me perfectly but the large 97 is a little tight and a shorter cut. The 97 is my favorite midlayer when active (add a shell to break wind). 97 will dry way faster than the 145 if that’s a factor for ya.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for

OP
E
I don't consider any merino pieces to be warm. I even had the FL Labrador in 400gm weight merino and froze in that thing as a midlayer in temps in the 50's while stationary. All of my insulation layers are synthetic or down.
Why do you think that is?
I only own a little bit of Merino. I have a 125 shirt and a 145 hoodie. Hiking tonight the the dogs, the 145 was warm enough over a poly t shirt, but not crazy warm by any means.

I own both (plus the Peloton 200 and StrongFleece 260).

Wear the Merino 145 as a stand alone shirt. Wear the Peloton 97 as a very lightweight sweatshirt for incremental warmth when needed.

Personal opinion time...
Do not waste your money on the Peloton 97. Yes, it is light and provides some warmth but it is not the orgasm-inducing piece that so many of its ardent supporters proclaim. You are better off spending a bit more to get additional warmth with the Peloton 200, StrongFleece 210, StrongFleece 260, or StrongFleece 280. This additional warmth does come at a huge weight penalty: a bone-crushing 5-11 ounces depending on the piece.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 97 as a base if it's cold enough. I'm slowly moving away from merino because I'm tired of being wet all the time.
I do the same, ive gotten away from merino and the 97 is my base layer once it’s chilly. I have the tops and bottoms and love both. In fact, I’ll be buying another set during their next sale

jd1006

WKR
There’s nothing in merino that’s close to the Peloton 97. The 97 always comes with. Either as added insulation layer or as the baselayer when it goes below 40. The merino hoody is more specific use when I want a versatile layer that can handle my stink.

OP
E
I own both (plus the Peloton 200 and StrongFleece 260).

Wear the Merino 145 as a stand alone shirt. Wear the Peloton 97 as a very lightweight sweatshirt for incremental warmth when needed.

Personal opinion time...
Do not waste your money on the Peloton 97. Yes, it is light and provides some warmth but it is not the orgasm-inducing piece that so many of its ardent supporters proclaim. You are better off spending a bit more to get additional warmth with the Peloton 200, StrongFleece 210, StrongFleece 260, or StrongFleece 280. This additional warmth does come at a huge weight penalty: a bone-crushing 5-11 ounces depending on the piece.
I'm really curious about the strongleece 210, do you have that specific piece? I don't have any kuiu Mid layers, and am considering adding a 210 and a 240 (why did you gp 260/280 over the 240?). The 97 is intriguing to me just for use as a high activity layer but I can see your point as well.

I'm not really an ounce counter. I watch the weight of some of my gear, but if I need something it's going with.

OP
E
I like the 97 as a base if it's cold enough. I'm slowly moving away from merino because I'm tired of being wet all the time.
Do you find that the thinner merino does a better job than the thicker? I don't own a ton, but I found the 125 kuiu t to dry a lot faster than the 145. I have some 250 bottoms and tops from ice breaker and they are comfortable but don't dry well at all. I use them late season for whitetails, camping in spring and fall and pheasant hunting and they come off before the drive home from pheasant hunting just to get dry.