Kuiu peloton 97 zip off pants -- where to buy Toray Karuishi

andydwyer

WKR
Hey guys, I just got a pair of the Peloton 97 bottoms and im shocked at how thin they are. Does anyone use these as a mid layer? How warm does it keep you? I was hoping they'd have 200 or 240 pants.

I'm looking for zip off mid and heavy weight fleece pants for a mid layer under my waders or in the tree, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. So, I'm pretty much set on sewing my own.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a bolt of Toray fleece? I'm looking at a few different polartec fabrics as well. Any suggestions? I've been wanting to make a hoody out of Wind Pro forever... Maybe now's the time.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re just talking about a warm layer for waterfowl hunting (walking distance to truck, ATV, or boat), maybe these would work? You can find them at mil surplus stores if you want to take a look. Warm and bulky, not high speed low drag, but neither are waders.

Seeknelk

WKR
For waders get fleece waders pants. Simms and other make. Insanely warm. Can't approach the warmth with layers of long johns that's for sure . I only wear them for winter type fly-fishing. Cut foot stirrups off if you hate em

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
Thanks for the ideas, but I'm dead set on light weight zip off. I've had the bulky stuff and I'm not stoked on it.

I was in the same boat as you prior to this past hunting season. I ended up ordering the 97's and I'll tell you they are ALOT warmer than they appear. They ended up being my go to mid layer pants. My season was short but I did get to wear them a few mornings where temps were high 30's and low 40's. Very comfortable with a light base layer and Predator G2 pants. I like them so much I plan on adding another pair just for shitz and gigz. I also love the 97 hoodie.

As for a heavier fleece with side zips ..I sewed some zippers of my Cabela's Thermal Pro bottoms. They don't make them anymore but it's just Polartec Thermal Pro High Loft fabric. Very high warmth to weight ratio on those as well. Not quite as good as Polartec Alpha Direct but close. I'm sure both can be found with some searching. Another good Polartec fabric is the WindPro high loft. Blocks enough wind and is warm as hell.

On a side note it really bothers me that ALL hunting clothing companies don't have at least knee high zips on all their pants from base layers to outerwear. It would really make adding and subtracting layers much quicker and allow boots to stay on your feet.

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
Yeah, I'm definitely keeping these 97s and getting either the 97 or 200 hoodie. How does the 97 compare to the pro merino 200 warmth wise? It's a lot lighter for sure.

I'm liking the smooth face on the karuishi and I think it's lighter than the polartec equivalent. I'm probably just going to have to email Toray to find a distributor, but the retailer list on their website didn't turn up anything useful.

PHo

WKR
As far as a comparison between the two fabrics, I have a peloton 97 hoodie as well as the peloton 200. In my opinion the 97 is just as warm as the 200. It is lighter and more breathable, but less wind resistant and less durable. If I’m stationary and there’s no wind I honestly don’t see a difference between the two. I’ll use the 97 for active hunts where I’m conserving weight, but if I anticipate any sort of brush busting the the 200 comes out. The 97 piles very easily.

Bump79

WKR
As far as a comparison between the two fabrics, I have a peloton 97 hoodie as well as the peloton 200. In my opinion the 97 is just as warm as the 200. It is lighter and more breathable, but less wind resistant and less durable. If I’m stationary and there’s no wind I honestly don’t see a difference between the two. I’ll use the 97 for active hunts where I’m conserving weight, but if I anticipate any sort of brush busting the the 200 comes out. The 97 piles very easily.
I have been rocking my 200 for 6 or so years now. It's my go to peice and I wear it on pretty much every hunt and has held up amazingly well.

My preference is 200 for top and 97 for bottom.

Wearing 97 zip offs every morning Coues deer hunting in AZ right now. Was 18*F and they worked as a mid layer very well.

Also like the 97 Zip neck hoody. They are warmer than the very light weight would indicate they should be. I usually have a 240 hoody over them. Not a good top layer in the brush.

utley010

FNG
Agreed with the above. The 97 bottoms are quite warm while moving and can keep me comfortable under attack pants down to 10-20F. The 97 top is great for moving when you need just more than your base shirt, but I wouldn't call it warm. Being "extremely warm for the weight" means less when the piece weighs virtually nothing.

The 97s have been sitting in my shopping cart for a while. Buuuuut I've struggled pulling the trigger as the ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-Off Bottoms paired with Attack pants has been my active combo from November to now (I'm wearing this combo right this second) in Vermont. Just ran the trash up the 1/4 mile driveway in -4 temps.