KUIU socks?

I have some store credit at KUIU and I'm thinking about getting a few pairs of socks. Anyone care to share any experience with the different types they offer?

BBob

WKR
I have a few of the Ultra merino crews. I don’t like tall over the calf socks so I got the crews. Probably 3 years old give or take. Comfortable, no rubbing issues, dry overnight, keep odors in check and pretty durable so far. No complaints at all. If anything I could do with a lighter sock down here so I wouldn’t mind trying the midweights. They didn’t offer the midweights at the time I bought the ultra crews.

lokifox

FNG
I have a few of the Ultra Merinos.

Only complaint is the foot box seems to run a hair larger than other brands. Probably just need to wash and dry them a few times to size them down.

Mojave

WKR
I have a few pairs of Kuiu socks. They are fine.

I wear size 14's so I am one of those that has problems with socks no matter where I go.

I have had really good luck ordering from Swazi in New Zealand.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like them. The padding does actually help. No problems with durability.

Jbxl20

WKR
I have 2 pairs I had a hole in the arch of the foot after a few miles and Kuiu replaced it under warranty. I have a narrower foot and prefer the darn toughs. Specifically the spur boot lightweight are my favorite.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I used the ultra merino a for several years, they are great socks and most of mine are still intact a mud usable still. I’m pretty much all in with smart wool these days but the kuiu socks are legit.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw another vote in for Smartwool.

My current favorites are the Hike Classic Edition Zero Cushion Liner Crew Socks (it's a wool, nylon blend IIRC). I recognize that this may be tough to for folks who are planning to hunt and sit in cold weather all day in uninsulated boots (or who like socks as foot cushions). I do not.

Heck, I've even switched to the thinnest merino socks (also smartwool) I can tolerate thermally when I ski, too.

For reference, I've also purchased FL & Kuiu socks in the past, too (among other brands).

MtnMuley

WKR
I must be the only one with issues with the Kuiu socks. Mine slip down as bad as any sock I've owned. The padding in specific areas is great, but I can't keep em up. This was their 1st run, initial offering. Not sure if the slip issue has been fixed.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I used store credit for 2 pairs of socks a while back. They are better than smart wool, but far worse than Darn Tough or Fits.

Ammo29

FNG
Amazing sock. I run them with my Crispi Nevada’s (upsize), as the socks make your boots a little tighter and leather tends to shrink overtime. I put on 10+ miles a day and this combo has caused me zero issues. Highly recommend.

They're great socks but I don't care for my pair.

There is so much technical patterning of cushion and compression that it doesn't line up with my foot shape very well.

I prefer kennetrek and first lite for socks.

cams

FNG
The Kuiu socks I have don’t stay in place, keeps slipping. I bought some Darn Tough’s and I like them better than the kuiu.