Kuiu Strongfleece 280

ChrisAU

WKR
I’m returning the 280 in LG, its too big for me. Slender 5’8 150, 38 chest and wear med in all their base and mid layers. When I tried a med 260 awhile back it was way too tight and even the lrg was tight in the shoulders and forearm on me. The 280 is cut roomier than the 260, not so tight forearms either. Its a very warm piece, good stand alone but layered under the axis fine too. I’d only wear it as a mid layer if it was very cold with little exertion. I like the hood fit better than the 240.

Glad to hear about the forearms, ordered mine yesterday. 5'11 205 and my 260 XL is tight in the forearms and a little loose in the abdomen but otherwise nice.

Benjblt

WKR
I’m returning the 280 in LG, its too big for me. Slender 5’8 150, 38 chest and wear med in all their base and mid layers. When I tried a med 260 awhile back it was way too tight and even the lrg was tight in the shoulders and forearm on me. The 280 is cut roomier than the 260, not so tight forearms either. Its a very warm piece, good stand alone but layered under the axis fine too. I’d only wear it as a mid layer if it was very cold with little exertion. I like the hood fit better than the 240.
Awesome. I just ordered a Medium. I was hoping the 280 was cut a little better then the 260. Kuiu CS sucks. I called them to ask and they said the 260 and 280 were cut the same. I get a minimal amount of helpful information out of them when I call.

Awesome. I just ordered a Medium. I was hoping the 280 was cut a little better then the 260. Kuiu CS sucks. I called them to ask and they said the 260 and 280 were cut the same. I get a minimal amount of helpful information out of them when I call.

Their customer service has been good for me in the past. However, I recently had a call as well where it was like pulling teeth to get info or opinions/advice. Must be the wrong CS rep??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
Their customer service has been good for me in the past. However, I recently had a call as well where it was like pulling teeth to get info or opinions/advice. Must be the wrong CS rep??

Yeah, sometimes they just aren't helpful. They only know the surface level stuff and aren't that friendly. every now and then I get someone eager to help with some good insight.

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
Guess it would depend how you intend to wear it. Like most things Kuiu, if you plan on running multiple layers or a puffy under you’ll probably want to upsize. Being such a warm piece in itself, I dont see layering much under it. Plus you’ll want the fleece closer to your body to get the most of its warmth. The thick fleece runs the full back, front, hood and arms. Only the side stretch panels are thin. The LG armpit to armpit measures 24 inches.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Guess it would depend how you intend to wear it. Like most things Kuiu, if you plan on running multiple layers or a puffy under you’ll probably want to upsize. Being such a warm piece in itself, I dont see layering much under it. Plus you’ll want the fleece closer to your body to get the most of its warmth. The thick fleece runs the full back, front, hood and arms. Only the side stretch panels are thin. The LG armpit to armpit measures 24 inches.

After using my 260 one time I thought it was too heavy and too warm for backpack hunts, in early rifle season CO anyway. I think the 280 will be a great whitetail piece.

Benjblt

WKR

Funny, the Kuiu website states that the lighter material is still mapped on the back.

For what it’s worth I ran the 260 last year on my WY deer hunt starting mid September into October when it snowed. I run colder than most and it was a welcome upgrade to my Peloton 200 as a mid. I found I grabbed it more than my 240 for warmth and agree with a previous comment that it doesn’t cut wind as well as the 240.

I tried on my buddies 280 in a large and if I ordered one I’d still keep to my normal size of a medium 5’10” 170 and more legs than torso. I could see how a medium might be too snug for guys with broader shoulders and bigger arms.

Having the 260 I don’t think I’ll be ordering the 280. If it’s that cold out I’ll likely have another jacket already on hand to layer up when sitting and take off when exerting high energy.

What's your scale say for weight on the large?

Benjblt

WKR
Well I picked up the 280 and I have to say that I'm disappointed in how tight it is. It's doable if I'm just wearing a short sleeve but with a long sleeve under it is pretty tight, especially in the shoulders. I'm only 5' 8" 170 lbs so I'm not sure why a Medium wouldn't fit me. I just don't get Kuiu's thought process. Just a touch looser would have been nice. Other then that the jacket seems awesome.

prm

WKR
The 280 interests me. The DWR finish would be nice. But it needs the wind block of the 240 to find a place in my lineup. That’s the magic of the 240. I emailed them a couple days asking how they compare, but haven’t heard back. While I do like Kuiu’s gear, their fit is hit or miss for me. They make it so narrow that many pieces I simply cannot wear. Sizing up to get it to fit around my arms results in ridiculously long sleeves.

Sadler

WKR
Do any of you guys have experience with the Sitka heavyweight hoody and the strongfleece? Which one compares to it, if any? I just sent the peleton 240 back because it was a little lose and from the sounds of it, the strongfleece is a lot more fitted like the Sitka heavyweight hoody, which I prefer in a mid layer.

ChrisAU

WKR
Do any of you guys have experience with the Sitka heavyweight hoody and the strongfleece? Which one compares to it, if any? I just sent the peleton 240 back because it was a little lose and from the sounds of it, the strongfleece is a lot more fitted like the Sitka heavyweight hoody, which I prefer in a mid layer.

The non-hooded Sitka Heavyweight in size Large and the Kuiu SF 280 in XL are my go to mid layers, based on if I want a hood or not. I find that they fit very similar given the two different sizes.

Sadler

WKR
The non-hooded Sitka Heavyweight in size Large and the Kuiu SF 280 in XL are my go to mid layers, based on if I want a hood or not. I find that they fit very similar given the two different sizes.
Thanks Chris. Are they about the same warmth?

Sadler

WKR
I'd give the Sitka HW a slight nod in warmth, but the SF gets a nod in durability.
I think I can deal with that since the SF has hand pockets. That’s the one thing I wish Sitka would add to their heavyweight hoody. Thanks again Chris