Kuiu vs Sitka

DoubleR92

FNG
Hey guys brand new to Rokslide and just wanted some opinions on these two clothing companies. I’ve got some older clothing that’s getting tired and just curious what the pros and cons are that you might have and recommendations. I hunt archery in the PNW so it can get hot to very cold and snow. Just wondering what you guys have to say.
Thank you!

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
There are plenty of threads on this already, just do a search.

It's mostly Ford vs Chevy... but with the caveat that Kuiu makes active-wear. Their stuff alone will not keep you warm in winter if you're sitting in a stand in 10° with wind.

Sitka has a line that is specifically built for keeping you warm while being in a stand.

Kuiu is cheaper. Sitka is more expensive.

Kuiu is a very trim fit. Nothing is baggy or loose. Very athletic fit.

I own Kuiu. If it gets too cold I have BassPro insulated bibs/jacket I throw on.

Last edited:
OP
D

DoubleR92

FNG
There are plenty of threads on this already, just do a search.

It's mostly Ford vs Chevy... but with the caveat that Kuiu makes active-wear. Their stuff alone will not keep you warm in winter if you're sitting in a stand in 10° with wind.

Sitka has a line that is specifically built for keeping you warm while being in a stand.

Kuiu is cheaper. Sitka is more expensive.

Kuiu is a very trim fit. Nothing is baggy or loose. Very athletic fit.

I own Kuiu. If it gets too cold I have BassPro insulated bibs/jacket I throw on.
Really appreciate the feedback. Have you noticed is Sitka more durable compared to Kuiu or?

welcome. Both are great Options. I’d throw first lite in the mix there.

I am big (6’3” 250#) and kuiu sizing never really worked for me. Their pants happen to be my favorite. Attack and pro for colder weather. Tiburon for hot. I gave up on everything else but it had more to do with fit than performance.

sitka is awesome. Look at the apex stuff. Their rain gear is top notch but carries a price to match. I have spent a few rainy days in my storm front and cloudburst gear and been warm and dry. Their warm weather gear is great too.

first lite is worth a look. IMO they have some of the best wool options in the business.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate the feedback. Have you noticed is Sitka more durable compared to Kuiu or?
I have never worn or owned Sitka so I can't speak to durability. I can say though I've never had durability issues with my Kuiu gear, including overall craftsmanship (such as seams coming loose or something). Additionally Kuiu has a lifetime warranty on their products (not sure what Sitka offers).

Also, if I may slightly contradict my previous comment about Kuiu not keeping you warm while stationary...

...right now I'm in a ladder stand. It's 41°F with a "feels like" 36° from the wind. I've been here for 2 hours so far and I am perfectly comfortable (other than my toes and fingers, which is unrelated to Kuiu gear). My layers are:

Head: Walmart beanie and Kuiu balaclava

Upper: Kuiu Peloton 118 longsleeve, Cold Pruf baselayer (Amazon), Kuiu Kenai Ultra (for insulation), Peloton 240 hoodie (to block wind)

Lower: non-kuiu stuff

I dont have lower body Kuiu stuff because I can't make up my mind on what I want. If I need anything warmer I have some insulated/waterproof/windproof layers from
BassPro I can throw on.
0e6273953d3f433ea8b6b7202f417c38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
welcome. Both are great Options. I’d throw first lite in the mix there.

I am big (6’3” 250#) and kuiu sizing never really worked for me. Their pants happen to be my favorite. Attack and pro for colder weather. Tiburon for hot. I gave up on everything else but it had more to do with fit than performance.

sitka is awesome. Look at the apex stuff. Their rain gear is top notch but carries a price to match. I have spent a few rainy days in my storm front and cloudburst gear and been warm and dry. Their warm weather gear is great too.

first lite is worth a look. IMO they have some of the best wool options in the business.
This is a great suggestion. First Lite is more dad bod acceptable than Kuiu lol.

First Lite, Kuiu and Sitka are all great. For me it ultimately came down to which patten I liked the best. The deer don't care, but if I'm spending money on it I wanna like it!

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I think Kuiu would tailor to what you’re looking for being in the PNW. Hip zips/ pit zips for when you’re on the move to dump heat. Good DWR on a lot of their outer layers and durable. I’m about the same dimensions as you and medium in everything fits perfectly for me. Medium in Sitka is almost too tight but I have wide shoulders

Lowg08

WKR
I have a little bit of it all. I’m getting to prefer certain items from each place. First lite wool is top notch.

Honyock

WKR
I've been happy with everything I have used so far from Kuiu. Kuiu fits me better {5'6" 150). The reason Kuiu is not higher priced is you are not paying retail mark up when you buy direct to the consumer. Sitka is great gear just doesn't fit me as well and I would rather not pay a 30-50% retail mark up.

BluMtn

WKR
I wear the KUIU guides and also Kryptek Vellus, pants, jacket, and Cadog 2 pants. When the weather starts getting around the zero mark then I go to the Cabelas Wooltimate and when it gets well digger cold then I go to the Cabelas 050 pants and coat. I have tried the Sitka but could never get a warm and fuzzy feeling about them. I do have Sitka 1/4 zipup heavy shirts, I do love those.

BluMtn

WKR
I run Sitka, and have used kuiu, both are quality products, but Sitka customer service and warranty is night/day better ime.
I agree with you on KUIU's warranty. Tried to use it once and got told to pound sand. I really like their stuff, but when I think about buying more I know that there will be no warranty so I go else were. To bad because I like the stuff I have.

Also a PNW hunter. I own Kuiu and Sitka gear. 3 out of 4 things I've bought from Kuiu in the past year have had to be returned. Two pieces of clothing started falling apart a week into wearing them and the Chugach jacket I have soaked through 4 hours into a hike on it's first trip. That being said, I sent in pictures in each instance and received replacements, no questions asked. Two of those replacements are going strong but the Chugach jacket still doesn't cut it for me. I know several people who work construction that wear the Yukon jackets throughout the winter and they've held up nicely.

I own a handful of Sitka items as well. I have absolutely abused a few of those items and they've held up great. I like their selection of fabrics as they offer some proven materials as well as their Thunderhead line that has a soft outer fabric which is near silent in the brush.

I think either option will work fine but I will personally be purchasing Sitka in the future as they use proven materials and have the Thunderhead line.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to hunting apparel but have worked in outdoor apparel production so I'm somewhat familiar. I like all the Sitka gear I own and am very impressed with their quality but I don't know if it's what I'll always buy (see below). I personally won't buy Kuiu as they only carry lifestyle apparel for women and I believe women who hunt should have just as good of gear as guys. So between the two my dollars will always go to Sitka. However a good friend of mine owns pretty much everything Kuiu and swears by it. For me I'll probably go between Sitka, First Lite, and then save a bit of $ with other outdoor brands for items that don't need to be hunting specific.

One note for Sitka is that they are owned by GORE so all product will use GORE fabrics/laminates; even the non-waterproof stuff. Not a problem for wind/waterproof gear, but for mid-layers and such you'll of course get a great product but you'll also pay considerably more than similar items from other manufacturers.

OP
D

DoubleR92

FNG
I have never worn or owned Sitka so I can't speak to durability. I can say though I've never had durability issues with my Kuiu gear, including overall craftsmanship (such as seams coming loose or something). Additionally Kuiu has a lifetime warranty on their products (not sure what Sitka offers).

Also, if I may slightly contradict my previous comment about Kuiu not keeping you warm while stationary...

...right now I'm in a ladder stand. It's 41°F with a "feels like" 36° from the wind. I've been here for 2 hours so far and I am perfectly comfortable (other than my toes and fingers, which is unrelated to Kuiu gear). My layers are:

Head: Walmart beanie and Kuiu balaclava

Upper: Kuiu Peloton 118 longsleeve, Cold Pruf baselayer (Amazon), Kuiu Kenai Ultra (for insulation), Peloton 240 hoodie (to block wind)

Lower: non-kuiu stuff

I dont have lower body Kuiu stuff because I can't make up my mind on what I want. If I need anything warmer I have some insulated/waterproof/windproof layers from
BassPro I can throw on.
0e6273953d3f433ea8b6b7202f417c38.jpg

Thank you for all the details and info on those products you have on and how you layered them all!

OP
D

DoubleR92

FNG
I think Kuiu would tailor to what you’re looking for being in the PNW. Hip zips/ pit zips for when you’re on the move to dump heat. Good DWR on a lot of their outer layers and durable. I’m about the same dimensions as you and medium in everything fits perfectly for me. Medium in Sitka is almost too tight but I have wide shoulders
I had some other pants and jackets that have those zippers too and they are life saver. I didn’t know that kuiu had those. Thank you

JLL

FNG
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I agree with what someone said earlier that Sitka has specific gear to keep you warm and I don't think Kuiu has as much for that. Kuiu does have a good fit.