Kuiu Yukon/Katana or Arcteryx Alpha SV

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a new non hunting Rain jacket for "hiking/mountaineering" . Does anyone have experience with the high end Arcteryx jackets(SV) vs the high end Kuiu Yukon/Katana? I don't need the jacket to be quiet. Just looking for the best weight/waterproof material.

Assuming you aren’t needing serious 4-season alpine expedition gear, aren’t going to be ice climbing, etc. I’d add Arc’teryx Beta AR into consideration. It will weigh the same as the Kutana (a bunch lighter than Yukon or Alpha SV) but is a little tougher, has equal-for-your-purposes waterproofness and DWR, and will look cooler in the hiking/mountaineering crowds. So you get lightweight/packable benefits over the Yukon/Alpha SV, with some of their durability advantages. It’s noisy for sure and may or may not fit you as well, and doesn’t stretch like the KUIU pieces, and has an oversized hood to accommodate a climbing helmet, so there are trade-offs depending on what you’re doing with it. It’s baggier to be built for layering like the Alpha SV.

OP
aaron600rr

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you aren’t needing serious 4-season alpine expedition gear, aren’t going to be ice climbing, etc. I’d add Arc’teryx Beta AR into consideration. It will weigh the same as the Kutana (a bunch lighter than Yukon or Alpha SV) but is a little tougher, has equal-for-your-purposes waterproofness and DWR, and will look cooler in the hiking/mountaineering crowds. So you get lightweight/packable benefits over the Yukon/Alpha SV, with some of their durability advantages. It’s noisy for sure and may or may not fit you as well, and doesn’t stretch like the KUIU pieces, and has an oversized hood to accommodate a climbing helmet, so there are trade-offs depending on what you’re doing with it. It’s baggier to be built for layering like the Alpha SV.
Thanks a bunch for your insight!

andydwyer

WKR
I like the Beta SV and LT because I hate the collar on the AR and prefer the pocket layout of the Betas. I believe the Alpha and Beta have Gore Pro 3L so they're as waterproof as you're gonna get. Just different cuts, feature, and face fabrics and DWR. The Beta AR has ripstop nylon and the others are smooth I believe.

My dad has been beating the tar out of a Beta AR for 20 years and it's still waterproof. Those old ones are heavy though.

All that being said, I just got a Kutana set... We'll see if I made the right choice.