Rain Jacket- Experienced Opinions-Swazi, Sitka Etc.

hadda

FNG
Hello,
looking for some input into a new Rain jacket. Ive used an arcteryx alpha sv and been happy with it, but after warrantying my last alpha sv, seeing arcteryx's new prices, hideous colors, and thinking (probably too much) about UV brighteners, Im considering other options, specifically the swazi tahr ultralite, the sitka dewpoint, and the kuiu chugach.

I get pro deals, which makes the sitka hurt a bit less price-wise. I see kuiu's prodeal has dropped way lower than it was. Camo pattern vs earth tone doesnt really matter to me.

For context, Im in BC I would use this for a couple week long backpack trips a year, and a week or 2 of backpack hunting in BC and the Yukon, as well as letting it sit in my backpack for daytrips and a backup for my job.

Im not a big guy, 5'6 and about 150 lbs athletic build, so sizing availability also matters. Im normally a small, but I see the dewpoint only comes in medium.

I notice the tahr does have pit zips, which for me is a downside, maybe a deal killer. I love mechanical venting.

Any considerations? Thanks

Last edited:
i liked my swazi pull over but i got awfully wet from sweat,sold it,(maybe here) if i ever get cashed up again or go to NZ,i'd try a zip up version but im pretty squared away on foul WX gear now

OP
H

hadda

FNG
i liked my swazi pull over but i got awfully wet from sweat,sold it,(maybe here) if i ever get cashed up again or go to NZ,i'd try a zip up version but im pretty squared away on foul WX gear now

Ya the lack of ventilation is definitely one of my concerns with almost all of the swazi jackets

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can have totally dry but you’ll be wet from sweat. You can have breathable but it will wet out in significant enough rain. It’s about wearing the right piece for the job and current conditions.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I love my Kuiu Yukon set. It’s held up to all the elements from a PNW coastal rain forest to the heavy snows of the Rockies.
Kuiu Yukon is not rain gear. It’s get you through light precipitation gear. For days and days of nonstop rain do NOT rely on “hunting brand” rain gear or you will be sorry (been there done that). I’m not here to take a crap on any brand in particular I’ve tried pieces from all the “hunting brands” and have found some great pieces. Just trying to help educate people on gear that works and doesn’t for clothing.

A recent story from another member and Kuiu Yukon gear…

“I just returned from a hunt on the Alaskan Peninsula. We had everything from a drizzle to heavy wind blown rain for eight straight days. It was a great test for rain gear.

I purchased a Kuiu Yukon jacket specifically for this hunt. The jacket was a dismal failure. My bush pilot chuckled when he asked, "Is that your rain jacket?".
"Nope" I replied, "just a jacket I wear in the rain."

The jacket had a seam leak between my shoulder blades and leaked heavily there. That is fixable. The worst part was the fabric just soaked through and my liner jackets were wet in no time. The sleeves were the worst as rain was caught at my elbows as I glassed.

If it had been colder, there could have been a serious safety issue. I'd be returning this jacket to Kuiu if they warrantied their products to work as advertised. At $350, it's a complete ripoff. I would have been just as dry (or just as wet) in a $100 soft shell jacket.”

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ya the lack of ventilation is definitely one of my concerns with almost all of the swazi jackets
I usually bring two rain jackets anytime it calls for me needing the Swazi Tahr. The Tahr and Overpants for slow moving, sitting, days of rain and super wet vegetation. Swap over to waxed Fjallraven Vida Pro ventilated pants and breathable patagonia shell style rain jacket for being truly on the move or light precipitation.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've put my Dewpoint jacket/pants through some pretty tough conditions- both weather and terrain. If I went to work on a fishing boat I'd probably buy something different, but for hunting it's what goes in my pack.

Mojave

WKR
Real rain gear is made by Grundens or Helly Hanson and is rubberized.

Anything else in real rain is a joke.

Eastern BC is different than Western BC. Western BC is real rain gear country.

Eastern BC will get by on things that are similar to Gore-Tex, Toray or Schoeller. Similar to the rest of the Northern Rockies.

I do not own real rain gear. I do own a Swazi Tahr and I have worn it in wet weather. But not Alaska or Western BC weather.

Maybe it would be ok. I'd prefer the Grundens or Helly Hanson model if I was serious about rain gear.

FWIW I have been using a very light weight rain jacket over a soft shell and been pretty happy. I take the combo when I am not expecting rain - usually a OR helium over a kuiu or Sitka soft shell. I can layer up if I get heavy rain or I let the soft shell handle light precip. I would bust brush with it or wear it if I was expecting days and days of rain, but it works well for the occasional shower and I have an out layer that breathes and functions better the rest of the time.

Red33

FNG
I live in North Idaho and frequently hunt in the rain. For all- day rain, I wear Kuiu Yukon top and bottom. The bottoms make a crinkle noise in the ass when I walk, but otherwise are great and my go-to. For intermittent rain when I keep a lightweight set in the pack, I use Sitka dewpoint. Not as weatherproof as Kuiu, but good for 1/2 day rain. As others have said, for multiple days of straight rain, either one will wet out eventually- get real rain gear. But, if it doesn't have vents like Yukon, you'll wet inside- out.

OregonHunter13

For most hunting standard breathable raingear made by whatever company you choose will work to varying degrees but for sustained rain and in uses where you will have pressure on your raingear such as wearing a pack or busting brush non breathable rubber raingear is your only option for staying dry. For example as I type this I am commercial fishing in Alaska one crewman wanted to bring his own raingear for more comfort. He brought his KUIU Yukon brand new and within 6 hours it had wetted out and he was soaked in the driving rain. Where the rest of us wearing Grundéns are bone dry. If being truly dry matters rubber raingear is your only option.

2-Stix

WKR
I run 3 layer Goretex...brand doesn't matter. I run mountain hardware as I have a history in mountaineering.

Bone dry...full rubber. The lighter the more breathable the more it gets wet from the outside. The heavier there more it will wet out from the inside.

Is Cabela's MT050 Goretex rainwear decent? Anyone have experience with it? I see it goes on sale sometimes for a pretty good price.

Venom One

WKR
Is Cabela's MT050 Goretex rainwear decent? Anyone have experience with it? I see it goes on sale sometimes for a pretty good price.

I bought a set 20 years ago, and for hunting rain gear, it was some of the best gear you could buy at that time. I wore it for several years (only during hunting season so minimal use), but it worked well. The down side is the brushed face - which makes it very quiet - also retains a lot of water weight. A few years ago I read a comparison between the MT050 and some modern rain gear and it didn't fare very well.

With Kuiu's current sale going on, I would highly recommend taking advantage of it and getting a set of their rain gear that fits your needs.

Last edited:

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Kryptek Jupiter jacket. It's quiet, light weight and packs down small. For the money it has been a quality jacket.

wildcat33

WKR
Im not sure the Dewpoint can be beaten for the price. 3L goretex, non-helmet hood, pit zips, 12oz for under 200. As far as specs go, its pretty much identical to the Arc Teryx Beta LT for a fraction of the price.