Kuiu Yukon vs. Stone Glacier M7

I know this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I'm wanting to pick up a new layer for all day wet weather in rifle elk season and for blocking the wind over top of a puffy while glassing. Anyone have experience with both, or recommend checking out something else?

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know about the Yukon but the M7 is amazing. It can be rolled up into its own hood and packs fairly small. Superb quality and the pit zips are nice. Very waterproof and windproof. Sleeves are a bit long but designed that way for glassing situations. Slides through brush very well. Very durable. Not the quietest material but if its raining it doesn't matter. I wear it on cold rainy days just to the store and get compliments like crazy on it.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
The M7 is a soft shell and Yukon is a pure rain jacket. If you’re going to deal with rain Yukon all the way. If you are dealing with cold wet conditions (a tad bit of rain but most snow) M7 is your huckleberry.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have zero experience with the Yukon, but the M7 is fleece lined and only usable in colder weather. The M5 will be a better bet for year round use over the M7. I have the M7 and love it once the snow starts flying and the temps drop. I also have the Kuiu Kutana Storm Shell jacket and pant and really like them as well. I’ve spent a lot of time in really bad weather in the Kutanas and they’ve never failed me. They’re pretty durable as well.

schmalzy

WKR
Thanks. I already have the Chugach and was looking for something a little more “durable” for the real thick nasty stuff. Looks like the Yukon might be the answer.

I’d check out the kutana as well if you’re looking for some more durability than the chugach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The M7 is a fully taped shell with a soft face, it isn’t a “soft shell.” The Yukon is also “soft” on the outside. The main difference is the actual jacket length, with SG being a lot longer, as well as the M7’s fleece liner. They are strikingly similar, but the M7 is much more focused as a late season piece. The yukon is much more focused on durability, so it is specialized in another way.

The Yukon wasn’t as great to layer with late season. Cuffs were too tight with too little adjustability. Small gripes overall.

OP
Radosilver
Anyone have experience with the Forloh Soft Shell? Seems like this might fit right in between a heavier rain shell like the Yukon and a waterproof fleece layer like the M7. Curious if I’m off base there.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
The fleece in the M7 isn't that much. No more than my Jetstream jacket. With pit zips and rated more waterproof than the M5. The M7 isn't just for freezing weather and snow.

The M7 is a soft shell and Yukon is a pure rain jacket. If you’re going to deal with rain Yukon all the way. If you are dealing with cold wet conditions (a tad bit of rain but most snow) M7 is your huckleberry.
I have the m7, its a tough RAIN jacket that will work for many different sinareos, hunt hard

M5 has 31,000 and M7 has 33,000 mm of rain protection. It's right on their website.
So you think they spent the money to create an entire additional textile for 2000mm

You don't you think its more like just a variation in the tests that day?
2000mm isn't anything. 6%