Kyrgyzstan Ibex Hunt

I just booked a cancellation ibex hunt that I’ll leave for on November 10th. I live in the Salt Lake area, but am considering flying out of LAX due to flights being about $1,400 cheaper and there only being one connecting flight in Istanbul vs 3 or 4 flying out of Salt Lake. Is there anything I should look out for flying out of LAX with a rifle and/or returning with an Ibex and a rifle?

For the guys that have been, what pieces of gear would you consider must haves? Anything you took that you feel like you really didn’t need? Any pieces of advice you’d give about flying through Turkish airlines, especially concerning whether they want the ammo in the case with the rifle or in its own case.

I’d appreciate any info, stories, pictures of past hunts, etc. This has been a dream hunt of mine for years now, and when this opportunity came my way I had to jump on it!

I went in 2014 and flew Turkish they were great. Can’t help you with LAX but I despise that place! Trekking poles are a must. If you take good glass the guides will use them, and they’re eyes are better than yours. I chose not to take my own stove and food, and I really regretted that about day 2.

Cant answer any of your questions, but good luck! And please do a write up when you get back, including the name of the outfitter.

Movi

FNG
Never been but nice reindeer in your profile pic! I saw that bull in July on the island when I was there.

I have never been to LAX but I cant imagine it would be a pleasant experience going with with a gun. Sorry I have nothing else to add. Good luck on your hunt though I'm sure it'll be a blast!

bascott1

WKR
Be flexible. Be careful with your carry on. They made me weigh mine and 9 kg was the cutoff. Had to add stuff to my checked bag and was a little overweight but they let it slide. Leaving atlanta I had my ammo in my checked bag. Coming back they made me keep it outside the bag for some reason.

buzzy

WKR
Leaving on Sunday for an ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan. I plan on a write up when I return at the end of the month. I am bringing a lot of warm clothing as I expect it to be cold. Get diamox from your doctor for altitude sickness. Also get an antibiotic from the doc in case of severe sickness. I created a couple of cheat sheets with meters to yards conversion on it to have in my pocket and also a cheat sheet with common language conversions. I’ll send you a pm later with that as someone here created one and shared it with me. I’m bringing a Zoleo for satellite communication. I also contacted USF&W and they suggested I fill out the 3-171 import form electronically. You will need this if you bring your trophies home with you. Then upload your cities permit with 2 stamps. They said often the folks filling them out forget the 2 stamps and then it’s a paperwork problem when you get home. Go with the flow and enjoy the hunt. That’s about all I got I think. Can’t help you about LAX, I’m flying out of SFO.

USF&W page below

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I was there in August, let me know if you have any questions that haven’t been answered already. Who are you going with?

Last edited:

buzzy

WKR
I was there in August, let me know if you have any questions they haven’t been answered already. Who are you going with?
Did you have any problems with CBP getting your trophies cleared? Or did you leave your trophies there to be shipped to the US? Thanks

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
We left ours there to be shipped back, Ibex need a cities permit to import, find a import broker to help guide you through the process. The agency in charge of import is US Fish and Wildlife

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
A cities permit takes 30 days to issue?
says their website
No, the outfit that you go with in Kyrgyzstan will file the paperwork with the local government and be issued the permit you’ll use that to import your hide and horns. It’s not issued by fish and wildlife

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
USFW does not distinguish between the mid-Asian ibex and the Himalayan ibex, they consider both to be Capra Siberica. Because Pakistan listed their Himalayan ibex under Cites Appendix III, all mid-Asian (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan) need either an export cites or a cites certificate of origination from the country's governing authority. In Kyrgyzstan, an export cites can be issues in one to two business days, which allows hunters to take their trophies home with them as checked luggage. Only cites Appendix I and II species will require an import cites from the USFW in addition to the export cites from the country they are taken.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going next sep and have talked to quite a few folks that have been.

Several recommendations that I received.

Get familiar with a horse if you haven't ridden lately.
Take some of your own food/snacks, stove.
Take extra cheap binos for guides if you have available, apparently, they will try to use yours.
Practice long range shooting, shooting uphill/downhill if you can. Average shot 400-500yds.
Take extra duffle and tennis balls to haul horns hm, should be able to get a permit within 1-2 days. Cheaper than broker at a later date.
drink lots of water
bring garmin inreach if available

All i can think of at the moment.

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm going next sep and have talked to quite a few folks that have been.

Several recommendations that I received.

Get familiar with a horse if you haven't ridden lately.
Take some of your own food/snacks, stove.
Take extra cheap binos for guides if you have available, apparently, they will try to use yours.
Practice long range shooting, shooting uphill/downhill if you can. Average shot 400-500yds.
Take extra duffle and tennis balls to haul horns hm, should be able to get a permit within 1-2 days. Cheaper than broker at a later date.
drink lots of water
bring garmin inreach if available

All i can think of at the moment.

I don't know the legalities, so this is a question not a statement, but I've heard that some of the countries in that area (India too I think?) don't allow satellite messengers?

I’m booked at the end of Sept 2023. Did you guys take boots with insulation or no? Take two pairs?

Like reach out to some of you for some recommendations if that’s ok.

chamois

FNG
I am Europe so I can't help with the traveling from LAX part but regarding the hunt I would suggest you take very warm clothes, insulated boots of course, and a warm sleeping bag and mattress, should you need to flycamp.
And be ready to spend many hours on horseback. Not on a comfortable saddle horse but in a small mountain pony with an iron structure covered with a folded blanket to sit on.
By my experience, with the outfitters I have hunted with, I would save the extra weight and not bring any food with you. My guides always carried a thermos with hot tea so I would not bring a stove. If you do, be aware that gas canisters and fuel are not allowed in a plane, so you should arrange for your outfitter to buy it locally for you.
I have shot and killed seven Ibexes and a Tien Shan Argali in several hunts, and the furthest shot I have taken was 360 yds, the closest being 180. Ibex populations are normally high and there is always a way around.
Driving to the base camp which will normally be around 10,000-12,000 ft takes long and gives your body time to acclimatize, an sleeping there the first night will also help. Drink a lot of water at all times, even when not thirsty is the best thing you can do. And avoid drinking any alcohol.
My sat phone is Irydium and it has always worked.
Any question in particular?