Lake House Do's/Don'ts

Wrench

WKR
Either have an outdoor shower/bathroom or an exterior door to a bathroom. Everyone comes in dirty and wants to poop in a hurry.....no reason to run through the whole place to do it.

Outdoor sink and bbq with concrete counters are able to be a quick pressure wash away from new.

Lots of outdoor seating....let as many eat and mingle outside as possible.

Have a simple winterization setup.....make low point dumps in supply lines and or air/antifreeze injection pump.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Couple things: Bozeman is my last name, not the location....I am in Alabama, so freeze points are not a concern. This will be a retirement home for my wife and I as we like the area and close enough to family but just far enough away so no one can just 'show up'. The idea of a trust is in the works, so yes, will be rolled under our family trust.

thanks for the thoughts/ideas.......appreciate the feedback.

Who is everyone else? Are you saying that they rent it out all the time? That's one of those decisions to be made up front.......whether to rent it out or not.
all their extended family wants to use it as their weekend destination, even parking campers in their yard, to come up and enjoy the lake. at first it was fun, but after every weekend was spent hosting family and friends, after a couple years, they realized how much of a crimp it put on them and their summer.

Dont buy in an HOA ever.
Dont go in on it with anyone (friends,family ect ect). Buy it outright.

Make damn sure the lot is legally Dockable and it is in deep water. Turn back google earth imagery and see how low the lake gets and make damn sure there is water at that location when the water level is super low.

I know someone who bought a half million dollar home on clarks hill in GA. Their dock was high and dry every other year for several years in a row due to lake levels......They didnt think about them pulling the levels that low. They eventually sold it but it took a real sucker to buy it....

KHNC

WKR
Not sure what state you are looking, but NC/SC builders are charging 250.00 per sf to build right now. I turned down a full price offer of 500k recently on our Lake Murray home that we bought for 235k in 2019. Cost to build a new house at Lake Greenwood was going to cost 500k to build 1900sf home with garage to meet HOA reqs at the land we bought there recently. Decided to just keep the Lake Murray house and not sell it. In 2019 Building cost were 125-150 in SC.

Have an idea of what you want to build and talk to a/your builder and dirt guy before you buy the lot. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen people in these situations but a lot and not understand setbacks and what can actually be built on a lot. Type of foundation? Slab on grade, crawl space, walk out basement, etc. does the lot lend itself for what you want? Yeah you can do site work to make things work, but will local regulations allow it and are you willing to pay for it?
One of the biggest ones in MN is where is the neighbors well? Now where is your well going to be? Now triangulate the septic setback of both, as well as the setback from the lake, lot lines, house, buildings, etc, and this is where the septic can go. Many a time the well driller backs his truck up, drills the well, and doubled the cost of your septic because now the drain field has to go in the most difficult place when he could of moved the truck 50’ and it wouldn’t of made a bit of difference to them but they got their first.
What’s the situation on the access road? Is it right on a state or county road or is it an unincorporated shared access? The biggest pain in the ass on earth is dealing with a half dozen people with lake places on an unincorporated shared drive way that need roadwork done. Not going to go any further with that one, but if you know you know
Take out any trees that could come down on the potential house before it’s built. Don’t save every friggin tree if there is the potential it’s coming down in the next 10-15 years.
Those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. Everything prior to this was pretty spot on as well, neighbors are nosy and your family and friends are free loaders, but once you get beyond that it’s bliss.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
If you are planning on growing old there, think about what can become difficult when you are aging. Climbing stairs, routine maintenance and cleaning can all become rough when older. If you or your spouse needs a walker or even a wheel chair, would that force you out of your home?

Outdoor space is my biggest advise. I like the idea of a bathroom accessible from the outside, and an outdoor sink. Covered space outside is also nice so that everyone doesn't end up inside on a rainy day.

For security, don't keep anything of value there, or at least not in sight. No guns, no booze, no high end electronics. Leave blinds open when you are not there so potential thieves scoping it out don't see anything of value.

Not sure what state you are looking, but NC/SC builders are charging 250.00 per sf to build right now.... In 2019 Building cost were 125-150 in SC.
Wow, that sounds like a steal......In my area of SW FL, new construction (that was quoted at $350/sq ft) is ending up at $425-450/sq ft by the time the permit is closed.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
The entry to a bathroom from the outside is on the list........like that idea. Yes, we have a house plan, it is buildable on the various lots we are looking at. We've checked those boxes.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Ez Willie brought up my point. I moved to the Lake 5 years ago permanently. Now have roughly a half hour commute daily. I’m not sure I could ever go back to not living lake life. This does come with a price however. I equate it to being a “campground host”. There is always work to do. Depending on prevailing wind, you’re constantly doing yard clean up. Branches, sticks, debris, gazebos, etc. Anything not secure. However the wind is a positive if bugs are an issue. None on the windy side, but they congregate on the calm side.
Know your neighbors! May seem minor, but they’ll all know you. Especially if year round residents. Brings me back to the yard cleanup point. Lake property becomes everyone’s business and all eyes are on you. I’m fortunate to have great neighbors, and everyone is great on upkeep, but those who aren’t will hear it. Lakes can be ruined by a few bad apples using it as a party place and ripping around tearing up the lake every weekend. Depending on the lake size, kids yelling, bonfires, fireworks, etc are the norm during the summer.
Like I said, I wouldn’t change it just something’s to consider and be aware of.
Congrats and enjoy the adventure!

KHNC

WKR
Wow, that sounds like a steal......In my area of SW FL, new construction (that was quoted at $350/sq ft) is ending up at $425-450/sq ft by the time the permit is closed.
Damn!! People told me we were crazy to ask 500k for our lake house since it sold for 235k. Wasnt long before a guy from up north offered full price. Im glad i did my research on new construction. No way we would have been better off to sell unless we didnt want a lake house at all.

elkyinzer

WKR
We go to a lake house we find on AirBnB a few times a year. Usually a couple long weekends and a full week. A lot cheaper than owning one and I don't have to worry about it. Also get to check out different areas instead of being tied down.

Good locks and security system.

Some distant family have a similar situation but when they arrived for their vacation they found squatters living in their house. They scattered like roaches and left mountains of trash and bugs and dog crap.

As others have said you will have people come out of the woodwork when it is time for their family vacation.

Cabins have different use and needs than city homes. Dale Mulfinger is an architect that has published several books about Cabins. Great inspiration and super intelligent stuff.

I personally would be uncomfortable with the usability of a shoreline with tides exceeding ~6 feet. My local reservoir can have 40 foot annual fluctuations annually and even the marina has been sitting in the mud for several years now. Docks for big tides are not inexpensive.

Concur with @flatlanderhuffandpuff re: security. My cabin had a break in as evidenced by missing padlocks. Nothing went missing b/c nothing was worth taking. Still, my part of the mountains lost a county sheriff before the squatters were rounded up.

Pretty certain the expense and labor of owned vs VBRO points to renting for most (me too), even with inflated real estate pricing.

Kilboars

WKR
Lots of great advise here.

My wife and I have decided we’d rather rent a vacation home than own one.

Even when we stayed at my parents house on a lake we spent half of the time fixing stuff or cleaning in for them to show our appreciation.

Even if we rent a home for a week I’ll always leave in better shape than I found it and treat it like it’s my own. But I don’t have any pressure to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
all their extended family wants to use it as their weekend destination, even parking campers in their yard, to come up and enjoy the lake. at first it was fun, but after every weekend was spent hosting family and friends, after a couple years, they realized how much of a crimp it put on them and their summer.
You tell the extended family to pound sand.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Living full time at the lake, in a very recreational area, I can tell you more of what I don't want.
Carpet. I remedied this a while back. If I could have my way, I'd have just built a nice shop house.
Wrap around wooden deck. It looks cool and is nice for company, but upkeep is a PITA
A yard to mow on a steep hill. PITA but mine isn't terrible.

I wish I had: A shop house
Larger outside socializing/firepit area. If you think you might be hosting groups of 10, build it big enough for 15 minimum.
Bigger shop. It's crazy the things you accumulate that you'd like better storage for, along with enough space for boats, UTV's, vehicles, etc
Walk in shower. Obvious reasons
More outdoor outlets. Obvious reasons
A true mud room

A shop house, with hydro floors, with an additional shop. lol

Marble

WKR
We did remote cameras all around the outside. It's not really for security, but more to keep an eye on the place in case snow breaks something on the house or some other damage/issue occurs.

And as far as who can stay there, for us, immediate family only. Not uncles, cousins, nieces or nephews.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

In Minnesota ,early in life had house in neighborhood. Wrestled with buying lake cabin as 2nd home . Ended up moving to a lake . Have lived here 20 years. No regrets. In MN taxes are brutal on 2nd house . Something to consider. Do the math and figure how many days/weekends you are realistically gonna spend there in a summer or year. Other distractions of life, kids activities , etc. There it sits not using it. Wasn't real interested in maintaining 2 houses. Possible place to retire after selling current home ? Option to buy adjoining lot for investment /kids ? Airbnb/vrbo for extra income? A million different thoughts and options . Good Luck with the decision ( currently wouldn't wanna build. Maybe in a year after the recession and slowdown kicks in . Prices are inflated stupid crazy and set up for a big bubble pop )