Lander vs spearfish

Hunting wise It’s a wash and has no influence. My go to hunts are New Zealand/Alaska..

Interested if any on here reside close to either of these two options and can offer insight.

Not concerned with job market either.

will probably rent a house first year.

jolemons

WKR
I prefer Spearfish as a town, Wyoming as a state, Lander for mountains and proximity of a decent sized metro (Rapid) to Spearfish. Depends on what is most important to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
N
I prefer Spearfish as a town, Wyoming as a state, Lander for mountains and proximity of a decent sized metro (Rapid) to Spearfish. Depends on what is most important to you.

I lived in Dickinson for 4 years and also in thermop for a summer so spent plenty of time in both.

but holiday is a lot different then living in a place.

You live near either?

jolemons

WKR
Negative. I used to do be a consultant and had WY MT and western SD as a territory so have spent a lot of time in both. I'm in northern NM now

jmez

WKR
I live close to Spearfish. Nice town, small college but not really a college town. A lot of nice houses, bit of an upscale community. Year round outdoor recreation.

Good medical facilities and hospital. Blue ribbon trout stream runs all the way through town. They have a semi pro baseball team that plays in the summer.

What things are you interested in?

Rapid City is close for an airport, about 40 mins. Spearfish sits right on the interstate so easy access. Real estate is pricy, especially if you want to be out of town. Deadwood is 15 minutes, if you like to gamble.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

bline

FNG
I mostly grew up on the edge of the Black Hills on the WY side. Spearfish is a nice town and the Black Hills are pretty cool with lots to do. Big game hunting opportunities are a lot more available in WY than SD, so if that's important I'd definitely recommend Lander.

• Banned
OP
N
Not too worried about hunting tags. I’m trying to get better about not hunting so much as a whole. If I could get it down to 3-4 good missions a year with day hunts spread throughout for fresh meat that’s good.

The reality is I don’t hunt in September and I don’t really care for elk hunting at this juncture. Tags are a wash..

Schools are a consideration

so are tweakers

not interested in becoming a second class citizen of my own town/community But want that to be balanced with positive disposition toward economic growth.

not interested in a mini Bozeman.

General outdoor recreation is a huge positive. Terry peak for me and Nordic for the wife should provide entertainment through whatever winter months we stick around.

many swimming holes in spearfish?

I guess at this point it’s pretty heavy spearfish. Trying to find out if there are glaring negatives I hadn’t thought of, or someone coming out saying lander is dead nuts an unreal spot.

jmez

WKR
Lots of swimming holes around Spearfish. They also have a really nice water park. Terry is nice. You can buy season passes in October very reasonable.

Good school system for academics. Newer schools that are nice. Their athletics aren't great, just ok. Used to be really strong but have fallen off recently.

No need to worry much about tweakers, they are all in Sturgis. Spearfish is a clean little town. Not a mini Bozeman feel, more local small town.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
I live in SD and have spent lots of time in the Hills. Each summer we also spend a week or so backpacking near Lander. Both are nice places and the insights people are giving you in this thread are solid.

jags

FNG
In Sheridan here. Both are nice towns, if you like town a bit more happening, more people, access to services, shopping and shows than Spearfish. If you like it a bit quieter, laid back and remote than Lander.

With Spearfish you will have to deal with a couple of weeks every summer during the rally and several thousand bikers in the area.