Laramie, Wyoming Trailer Axle Repair

Rambo

FNG
I was on the way home from my 17 year old son’s ALMOST successful elk hunt when I hit a pot hole and snapped the axle on a 6 x 10 trailer. A $600 tow to Laramie, Wyoming now has me searching for a repair. I had to leave it in a storage facility to get my buddy, who was helping with the hunt, back to Iowa for a family emergency. Does anyone from the area of Laramie have any recommendations for a shop to replace the axle? Hoping to find someone that is good to deal with and reasonable. I will need to be making phone calls on Monday (09/25/23) to get this arranged. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!IMG_1909.jpegIMG_1912.jpeg

OP
Rambo

Rambo

FNG
Order a new axle take the 4 U bolts off and install in a couple hours in the parking lot

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I thought of that. I had to beg borrow and plead to get the facility to allow me to store the broken trailer. They said no repairs allowed on the facility. But I may have to push it!

I'd just tell them that if they want it off their property you've gotta throw an axle on it. Sounds like a real crappy situation. There's gotta be trailer repair or mechanic in Laramie. It's a fairly decent size town.

wyosteve

WKR
There's a Murdoch's in Laramie that sells trailers. Might be easier to buy a new trailer, load the busted one on it, drive back home and sell the 'new' trailer. Just a thought. I'm in Cheyenne and we have 'K's' Trailer Sales but not sure that helps much.

There's a Murdoch's in Laramie that sells trailers. Might be easier to buy a new trailer, load the busted one on it, drive back home and sell the 'new' trailer. Just a thought. I'm in Cheyenne and we have 'K's' Trailer Sales but not sure that helps much.
Good point as he's got a pretty small trailer. Might even be able to get a uhaul trailer that'll fit it. I bought a real nice flatbed from Factory Direct there in Cheyenne, they'll have some good stuff if he needs to buy..

OP
Rambo

Rambo

FNG
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I really do appreciate it. I am leaning towards buying an axle and taking it there. The trailer isn’t mine, it belongs to my buddy’s grandfather. But it is a heavy duty former Department of Transportation trailer and would require a winch to load on another trailer.

I am counting my blessings. We are safe and I just spent 10 days chasing bugling elk with my youngest son in the mountains. I am blessed. Were it not for an unseen limb that sent his arrow over a huge bull at 30 yards, we would have a beautiful bull at home with us. The experiences we had together were priceless.

I’ll get through this expensive little hiccup.

Thanks again!

Weldor

WKR
Tractor supply sells axles pick one up when you arrive, cordless impact and a couple of jack stands and your on the road again. Sucks when it happens on a hunting trip. Been there before changed my axle at a carwash.

I replaced my boat trailer axle recently after a bearing failure ate the spindle. It was pretty straightforward & I only have basic mechanical knowledge.

I had to order the right size from R&P trailers. You’ll need to know capacity, hubface distance and leaf spring distance. A Jack and Jack stands. Not sure if you’ll need to unload the equipment

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I really do appreciate it. I am leaning towards buying an axle and taking it there. The trailer isn’t mine, it belongs to my buddy’s grandfather. But it is a heavy duty former Department of Transportation trailer and would require a winch to load on another trailer.

I am counting my blessings. We are safe and I just spent 10 days chasing bugling elk with my youngest son in the mountains. I am blessed. Were it not for an unseen limb that sent his arrow over a huge bull at 30 yards, we would have a beautiful bull at home with us. The experiences we had together were priceless.

I’ll get through this expensive little hiccup.

Thanks again!
If you get another trailer you could use some scrap pipes for rollers, a large come along and some long spud bars to push it around. Just start dragging it up, you might be surprised.
I have dragged some heavy items onto trailers like this.