Large Black Cats

yes, it's possible. but believe it or not, cats that we call pets can and do grow to 5-6 foot tip to tip. a black panther/jaguar is much larger than what you saw and typically will not exhibit any of the behavior you described. an avg. house cat has a tail around 12 to 18 inches. an overgrown cat, which happens, will appear longer. I was just trying to help identify the type of cat you saw, and admittedly having fun in the process. it is also possible that only one of those were a jaguar and the other 2 were not.

49ereric

WKR
I don’t think but I do know these were LBC’s
What species grow to the sizes I’ve described ?
Science says there is no melanism in the puma family….I’m ok with that
The only thing I can describe them as is a LBC
I know at one time there were jaguars all over the south and southeast
Is it possible there are still pockets of them left in these area ? Who knows ?
Science doesn’t know it all and neither does the DNR.
DNR denied all cougar-puma sightings here for years until trail cams came about in a big way. DNR still says no breeding big cats in the state of Mn but they been wrong about everything else concerning cat sightings.
Sister in Laws husband called the DNR when the LBC was in their small field (@2 acres at most) and DNR said no big cats of any kind.
Bus driver saw it several times crossing the road and others as well.
this was @25 years ago. No sightings since that I know of but i don’t hear everything.
My wife saw a cougar from the house (normal color) spring of 1985 crossing the road.
trust your eyes!

I would never trust DNR lol. they said the same thing here till enough people called them out. now the official stance is we use to have mountain lions, but they're all gone and what you're seeing now is a very large cat. somehow, they figure a ML is not a large cat? and they admit they cant identify the type. none of them ever being black by the way.

Last edited:
On a serious note, I'm curious, what percentage of mtn lions get treed? I know around here of bear hunters treeing Fisher Cats, know of a few spotted on trail cams as well. We are in a historic range of them, but sightings are rare. I'd say I know of more people who have seen an LBC than Fisher cats, yet we know they are around.

So out west, where cats are run with hounds, has anyone gotten a picture of a treed LBC?

def90

WKR
As for DNR's.. There's a reason why they may deny the existence of an animal that may be on a landscape as it may have huge impacts on their resources/budgets. If they admit to a breeding population of cougars in Minnesota for instance they now have to come up with management plans and everything that goes with that. It's the last thing that an understaffed dept on a tight budget wants to take on.

Wolves have been spotted around Colorado for years but CPW always denied they were here as that would mean opening up a huge can of worms in regards to the ESA and so on.

All in all it does not mean that there are black panthers.

49ereric

WKR
All in all it does not mean that there are black panthers.
the easiest thing to do is dismiss the word of others and I understand it completely and it doesn’t bother me cuz it is very human to do so.
personally I never saw the LBC but people I trust did and that is good enough for me.

def90

WKR
the easiest thing to do is dismiss the word of others and I understand it completely and it doesn’t bother me cuz it is very human to do so.
personally I never saw the LBC but people I trust did and that is good enough for me.

I grew up and lived in Mn prior to 2000 when I moved out to Co. I have no doubt that there are cougars in Mn, there were pics of them in the late 90's before I left. There are no black cougars in Mn though.

OP
Y

Yarak

WKR
My brothers one and only sighting was on the highway into town
He stopped to watch a flock of turkeys move across the road and when they got into the wood line the LBC with two bounds crossed the road and went after the turkeys
He said it looked to be 6-7’ nose to tail tip
This was about 7 years ago

he stopped for turkeys? he must not be a hunter or there were people around lol. I for one do not brake for turkeys. me and that cat would have fought for dinner.

My brothers one and only sighting was on the highway into town
He stopped to watch a flock of turkeys move across the road and when they got into the wood line the LBC with two bounds crossed the road and went after the turkeys
He said it looked to be 6-7’ nose to tail tip
This was about 7 years ago
No pics? I’m shocked

OP
Y

Yarak

WKR
he stopped for turkeys? he must not be a hunter or there were people around lol. I for one do not brake for turkeys. me and that cat would have fought for dinner.
Yeah I’m an avid turkey hunter too but this was during the summer and daytime on a somewhat busy road