Last minute tips- helping someone on their first season

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey Guys,
Last minute i just realized i could use some tips on helping someone new to elk hunting get a shot.

Normally i hunt with my brother, and that guys been my partner in crime since the day he was born so when we work together in the woods its just all second nature and things dont really need to be said on whats going on.

This year im taking a buddy of mine hunting for the first time (his absolute very first time), i of course told him there are no guarantees with anything at all but.... my plan was basically just to set him up and call in animals from 30 yards back (ya know... the usual plan) except i forget he doesnt know .... when to move, not to move, when to draw, etc.

Any tips for getting a brand new hunter to find success or... at-least mitigate the blow outs?

I'll explain to him the basics of course, wait for them to move behind a tree if you can before you draw, dont move when theyre watching you, keep the wind in your face... etc. but i know a lot of those seemingly simple things come from years of messing them up and its a bit of an information dump for things that are going to be happening in real time and under adrenaline. I'm no guide so taking folks out with little experience isnt something im experienced at myself

WCB

WKR
Make sure he knows to get in front of cover not hide behind it. Also maybe a good idea to instead of him moving forward from your calling spot...you should move up with him set him up then move back and call. That way you can explain to him where to look for shots and make sure he is set up correctly.

IMO if he has never hunted and even more so never hunted elk I wouldn't expect him to make a move on an animal while you are calling. The job is going to be yours to pull that elk in front of him. As far as when to draw etc...It would be more instructive to inform him to have his bow up and semi ready all the time (bottom cam resting on his thigh/waist and make sure you can draw straight back and slow.

Other than that your going to have to be very patient.

Wapiti1

WKR
In all honesty, I'd be right beside him and coach him through it. But almost all of my methods are for a solo hunter, so it wouldn't be much different. I don't call much after they commit and start to search. Biggest thing is to choose your spot.

That said, tell him that he may draw and have to hold it for a lot longer than he wants to. Only draw when he can't see you or is moving. Also, if a bull in close spooks from you drawing, he, more often than not, trots and stops 10 yards away broadside to see what the heck just happened. Finish drawing, and be ready for a 10 yard farther shot.

Jeremy