Late season pant - Timberline vs Fjallraven Vidda Pro

TheCougar

WKR
I need a late season pant for November hunts this year. Comparisons and recommendations between these two? I typically wear 32 waist (runs a little big on me) and a 32-33 inseam. I have big thighs and want to layer under. I’m familiar with the Timberline, but not the Fjallraven, although I have heard good things. Thoughts on fit and functionality between the two, or any other thing else worth mentioning? The Fjallraven price is great, but it looks like the seat and knees are not waterproof and the material is 35% cotton. I want a reinforced seat and knee, preferably water proof and a fast drying, durable. medium weight pant.

Bump79

WKR
I think those might warmer and bulkier than I’m looking for since they have a fleece lining.
The Corrugate Foundry would fit you're bill then. I've got a pair - very nice. A little heavier than they need to be though. They use a double layer for the seat which seems unnecessary. The knees I get as they allow for knee pads but they could cut like 3oz of the pant by using a normal waterproof breathable material as the seat. The vents are nice as they allow easy access to zip off bottoms, but feel weird when you don't have a base layer on. The plastic zipper hits your skin and doesn't rub - but feels weird.

Trr15

WKR
I have both and while I like the timberlines, I prefer the fit of the vidda pro ventilated. I find the timberlines to be slightly warmer and while they have more stretch, the vidda’s aren’t restricting in any way. The waterproof seat/knees on the timberlines is nice, but not a major factor for me. The fjallraven g1000 fabric seems pretty water resistant and can be waxed if you want to go that route. Only one rear pocket on the viddas (iirc the timberlines have 2). Viddas probably fit a bit slimmer and have a better pocket layout.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have both and while I like the timberlines, I prefer the fit of the vidda pro ventilated. I find the timberlines to be slightly warmer and while they have more stretch, the vidda’s aren’t restricting in any way. The waterproof seat/knees on the timberlines is nice, but not a major factor for me. The fjallraven g1000 fabric seems pretty water resistant and can be waxed if you want to go that route. Only one rear pocket on the viddas (iirc the timberlines have 2). Viddas probably fit a bit slimmer and have a better pocket layout.
How does the length and waist run? I had no clue there was a ventilated version, and they are on sale for $120 right now with free shipping and returns. Can’t beat that.

Trr15

WKR
How does the length and waist run? I had no clue there was a ventilated version, and they are on sale for $120 right now with free shipping and returns. Can’t beat that.
They run true to size in the waist, maybe a hair short in the inseam. I’m a 32 inseam but buy the long version of the viddas. Wore a pair of mine on a dove hunt yesterday. It was 90 degrees and the side zips kept me comfortable throughout the day. Durability is very good so far.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
They run true to size in the waist, maybe a hair short in the inseam. I’m a 32 inseam but buy the long version of the viddas. Wore a pair of mine on a dove hunt yesterday. It was 90 degrees and the side zips kept me comfortable throughout the day. Durability is very good so far.
How tall are you? I’m right at 6’0” and my true inseam is right around 32 with no break in the pants. I prefer them a bit longer.

I just picked a couple more pairs of Fallraven pants on their sale. I really like them. I have an older pair or Vida Pros and they are so much more durable than the Timberlines I have. I feel like they may be a bit slimmer for guys with bigger legs though. If you want a durable mid to late season pant the Fallravens are great.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ll second the FL corrugate foundrys (actually sitting in them as I type this sipping coffee wondering if that monster bull will re appear this morning…..) I’ve used mine for two seasons now and think they are the perfect balance. The vents make them awesome with a base layer (I use FL wicks). I’ve had them down to 10 deg without issue. For glassing i throw over some puffy pants if it’s that cold. Very durable from my experience. I actually like the stupid suspenders they come with too.

Last edited:
If you haven’t ordered any yet, I’d recommend against the Vidda pro ventilated for individuals with thicker thighs. Will be sending mine back

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6'2 190 and normally a large or 34 in all pants. For the Timberlines I went with a 35 in the 2022 version. I felt the crotch and overall fit was better to go with the 35, especially for late season and a heavy merino base layer.

MTtrout

WKR
I’ve hunted with the same timberline pants for 10+ years and love them. I bought a pair of the vidda online and returned them. Not for me. Now the keb trousers are my go to. Great pants. I’ve worn them for hunting grouse and such but if looking for a late season pants I would get the Sitka timberline

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve hunted with the same timberline pants for 10+ years and love them. I bought a pair of the vidda online and returned them. Not for me. Now the keb trousers are my go to. Great pants. I’ve worn them for hunting grouse and such but if looking for a late season pants I would get the Sitka timberline
Yeah, the Viddas were too tight in the legs and seat. Plus the fabric was really really stiff and not stretchy at all. I can’t imagine trying to walk in those all day.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I just picked a couple more pairs of Fallraven pants on their sale. I really like them. I have an older pair or Vida Pros and they are so much more durable than the Timberlines I have. I feel like they may be a bit slimmer for guys with bigger legs though. If you want a durable mid to late season pant the Fallravens are great.
They ended up being too tight in the legs and seat. Does the material ever break in? They were really loud, stiff, and uncomfortable. I think I would have sent them back even if they did fit.