Latest knife I made

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
This blade was ground on my old mutitool grinder from 12C27 stainless. G10 handle scales with stainless pins and lanyard tube. I had the heat treat done professionally, but otherwise everything is my work from start to finish. I kind of cocked up the bevels, so salvaged it as best as I could. Also remade the handle scales, so a lot of time reworking this on. But overall happy with what I was able to do with it. Still plenty of mistakes on this one, but I would say its the best finish I have done so far.

IMG-7455.jpg

IMG-7454.jpg

IMG-7456.jpg

IMG-7457.jpg

IMG-7459.jpg

Trr15

WKR
Nice work. I like the shape and belly on the blade. Scales turned out good too.

Sharpd53

FNG
This blade was ground on my old mutitool grinder from 12C27 stainless. G10 handle scales with stainless pins and lanyard tube. I had the heat treat done professionally, but otherwise everything is my work from start to finish. I kind of cocked up the bevels, so salvaged it as best as I could. Also remade the handle scales, so a lot of time reworking this on. But overall happy with what I was able to do with it. Still plenty of mistakes on this one, but I would say its the best finish I have done so far.

IMG-7455.jpg

IMG-7454.jpg

IMG-7456.jpg

IMG-7457.jpg

IMG-7459.jpg
Very talented. Nice work

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think there’s anything much cooler than making your own knife, It’s a skill I wish I had. Good job on a great looking knife

feanor

WKR
Nice looking knife- color and shape/ design. The bevels don’t look too bad. Always room for improvement, but I think it’s a winner.

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys

I am enjoying working on the knives. Though it can be a slow and sometimes tedious process. Seems like I make a mistake, learn from that so I dont repeat it on the next knife, then make a different mistake on the next one. Slowly working my way through the possible issues. But I can see improvement, and slowly getting better.

CAH

FNG
Thanks guys

I am enjoying working on the knives. Though it can be a slow and sometimes tedious process. Seems like I make a mistake, learn from that so I dont repeat it on the next knife, then make a different mistake on the next one. Slowly working my way through the possible issues. But I can see improvement, and slowly getting better.
What are you using to grind the bevels? I just picked up a 1x30 and wondering what grit belt to use for the initial grinding.

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Hi mate. I have been using a bench grinder with a multitool attachment that has a modification that allows it to use 2" x 48" belts. It has been an okay starting point, but its still underpowered. I expect the 1x30 setup will have similar challenges.

I would suggest a couple of aluminium oxide belts in 40 to 60 grit for the initial work of shaping and putting in the bevels, and some 120 grit belts to finish the metal work and shape the handles.

Reactions: CAH
OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Should probably add too that moving from the courser grit to the finer grit at the right time is an important choice. You want to get the steel as well finished as possible before heat treat so that you aren't trying to clean out scratches after the blade is hardened. Then you want to try to keep the blade to that standard as you finish the grind. That was the first bit I struggled with because I kept using too mush pressure, or didnt grind evenly.

Reactions: CAH
OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Nice knife, good job. And you made it. Are the scales giraffe bone.
No mate. G10 fibreglass & resin with different colours added, so white and orange in this case.

I haven't used any exotic materials yet as I want to get me handle shaping ability a bit better before I try some of the nice looking but more expensive options. I have a piece of impala horn and a cast sambar antler to use, but I want to be sure I have the skills to do those justice before I have a go at them.