Layering Question

mhazime

FNG
Hi, Newbie here planning first Montana Elk hunt the first week of November. Trying to figure out if I should layer or just go with a heavy parka setup from under armor like the timber pants and jacket. I have all of the Treezyn late season gear that I recently purchased. Would that be acceptable to layer in for that location and time of year with a merino wool base layer and fleece layer? Will it be enough or too cold? I am worried it will be cold so thats why I thought the UA timber setup might be a good idea. So many options out there that it is hard to make a decision. The UA timber jacket and pants are heavy! Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Will be hunting from a base camp and hiking during the day.

If you'll be doing any amount of hiking then layers will be the way to go. Even when it's cold out, if you are doing some high output hiking you may want the ability to shed down to a midlayer. That said if it's a truck camp then bring the heavy pieces. Would be nice to have for glassing or hanging around camp.

OP
M

mhazime

FNG
If you'll be doing any amount of hiking then layers will be the way to go. Even when it's cold out, if you are doing some high output hiking you may want the ability to shed down to a midlayer. That said if it's a truck camp then bring the heavy pieces. Would be nice to have for glassing or hanging around camp.
Riding into camp on horse. Not sure if that changes anything.

tttoadman

WKR
Invest in the layering. I ended up in trouble a few times trying to chase elk with nothing but base layers a sweat bag on top.
The typical 4-5 layering is the same no matter where I go.
- base
- mid
- light insulation (vest)
- optional heavy insulation (down jacket and puffy pants)
- shell
Change these around depending on the conditions.
Abuse your shell as an insulator when sitting and it can save weight of carrying heavy insulation.