Layering system

What's everyone running in your layering system for warmer and cooler weather backpacking hunts?

prm

WKR
Anyone using a shell such as the KUIU DCS Guide, Axis Hybrid or Sitka Jetstream? I have a DCS Guide and xis Hybrid but find it a challenge to fit them in. They make sense if it's a little wet, or you'll be in brush that eats most puffy jackets.

Last year I ran:
Patagonia Capilene base (or FL Aerowool)
Peleton 240
Arcteryx Atom
Kifaru LPP
Rain Shell

Considering fitting a shell in for wind, water, brush protection. Probably use my Sitka Kelvin active under the Kuiu Axis Hybrid or Jetstream and remove the Atom and rain shell listed above. This would be for hunting in the CO Rockies 1st and 4th rifle.

Similar experiences, thoughts?

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I am still figuring mine out with the help of several on this forum, but here's what I am running for 2nd rifle Elk in CO, but I run pretty cold.

Sitka Core Midweight base
Sitka Traverse Zip T mid
Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest insulation
Kuiu Super Down Ultra Hoody insulation
Smartwool Lightweight base bottom
Sitka Timberline pants
Golite Tumalo Shell and Pants

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using a shell such as the KUIU DCS Guide, Axis Hybrid or Sitka Jetstream? I have a DCS Guide and xis Hybrid but find it a challenge to fit them in. They make sense if it's a little wet, or you'll be in brush that eats most puffy jackets.

Last year I ran:
Patagonia Capilene base (or FL Aerowool)
Peleton 240
Arcteryx Atom
Kifaru LPP
Rain Shell

Considering fitting a shell in for wind, water, brush protection. Probably use my Sitka Kelvin active under the Kuiu Axis Hybrid or Jetstream and remove the Atom and rain shell listed above. This would be for hunting in the CO Rockies 1st and 4th rifle.

Similar experiences, thoughts?

I think most here will say ditch the softshell. It doesnt have a high enough warmth to weight ratio to justify the extra weight in the backcountry. I was planning to run the Jetstream, but many advised me to ditch it and go with a 4 layer setup, using the rain shell for a windproof layer when needed. It will probably save you at least a pound.

prm

WKR
Honestly what I ran last year worked fantastic during 1st and 4th rifle. I just always seem to be reinventing the wheel.

tttoadman

WKR
My clothing follows the basic principle. I am also a little cold all the time. I am able to stay warm other than very long sitting anytime of year.
bottoms:
1. merino boxers
2. merino full bottoms
3. midweight pants
4. I wear my gaiters almost all the time
5. Rainpants: fjallraven ECO-SHELL trousers(breathable enough to wear all day)

Tops:
1. merino 1/4 zip top
2. Jetstream Lite jacket (super light and windproof)
3. Kelvin lite vest (early, mid, late)
4. Arcteryx thorium puffy (mid and late only)
5. balaclava. amazing how this thing takes the edge off in cold and windy weather
6. Outdoor Research Skyward rain shell

If I get cold, I wear my rain gear. All of this is lightweight, and is great for layering throughout the day.

rbljack

WKR
For me it went like this:
FL Chama hoody base layer Top next to skin..
FL Fleece over that.
FL Puffy and rain Jacket for warmth and shell.

FL balaclava, FL fingerless and Shell gloves and a reversible Beanie.

FL Red Desert Boxers next to skin.
FL Kanab over that.
FL Puffy pants packed and worn when needed, zipped off and on whenever I wanted.
I didn't bring the long johns.
Kenetrek Gaiters
FL Socks
Lowa GTX uninsulated boots. But with that said my feet got cold. We were in a foot of snow for 4 days. I debated bringing another top layer...as long as I was moving it was fine. But for longer stands....and extra layer might have helped when the cold and wind kicked up.