Leave elk to find elk or stay in the truck

mans9110

FNG
I there, I’m looking for some advice.
My brother and I are going back to same place in Colorado as last year for 4th week archery.
Two mornings in a row last year we parked the truck at trail head about two hours before daylight. Our intended hunting area was about 3 Miles in. Both mornings there were bulls bugling in the meadow right beside the trailhead, about 100 yards from us. We couldn’t see them since it was dark but there were at least two bulls going off the first morning and one the second. We didn’t know what do do since it was so long until daylight. Wait and hunt from the truck at sunup or start hiking in and leave them, based on fact they would be moving up the mountain to bedding areas. Both days we left the elk to go find elk, and I’ve been regretting ever since. What would people advise to do in this situation?

Pbast81

FNG
I would have stayed with them and shadowed them till it was light enough to make a move on them. Have to agree with the guys that already posted. There’s no sense in leaving bugling bulls to go try and find others.

wapitibob

WKR
The problem is you're at a trailhead, which attracts hunters like a moth to a flame. You'd have to be real lucky to be the only ones there when it was light enough to hunt.

cnelk

WKR
I would get out of the truck, move uphill in the dark, watch the wind, and be ready to flank the elk when they move. Even being 300-400 yds in the woods is better than trying to catch up

CX5Ranch

WKR
I would have snuck about 30 yards closer and loosed an arrow

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you're next to a trailhead and hearing bulls 100 yards away but aren't able to get eyes on them, my first guess is that you heard guys ripping some bugles to see if they could locate an animal to get on about the time it gets light

My first thought as well.

Sounds like you answered your own question. Now you can feel re assured of your thoughts. I was in a similar situation on my very first elk hunt in 2008.

After 7 or 8 days of hard hunting right outta truck camp, I decided to drive to another spot I had scouted. I got there just before dark. And the surrounding mountains just lit up when I hit the hoochie mama. (Laugh if you want). And it got dark quickly after that. But I knew where I'd be in the morning.

So I'm driving down this old logging 2 track at 4am when I great 6pt bull crosses and stops in my headlights. Then calmly crosses and up the hill thru the lodgepoles. I put the truck in gear and creep forward about 300 yards and shut the truck off with the windows cracked figuring to let the woods settle down and just listen. Still 2 hours till it gets light.

Didn't take long and a few bulls were bugling back and forth. And they weren't going anywhere. About 5:30 comes and now I'm out of the truck making my way towards the bugles. I eased my way towards them in the dark with the red light shining to the ground and leading the way.

As the sun comes up I'm right on top of what turned out to be a very big herd with 2 bulls of pretty equal size.

I never did kill either one as the close encounter + a rookie = tag soup. But the point being, I was able to slip in on them in the dark because I knew where they were, and they had know idea I was coming to get them until I drew my bow and missed a layup 40yard broadside gimme because my nerves got the best of me. It can be done.....

jmez

WKR
I would never leave elk to go look for elk. I shot one right outside of Jackson Hole one year, about 400 yards off the highway.

We went into town for supplies. Heading back to the trailhead and I see a large herd moving alongside the highway. Went and parked, got the wind and killed one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
I'd hunt them there at the truck. Get the wind right and wait for daylight. Could work out or might not. If you don't kill one so what. Then go to your intended spot 3 miles in.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year the last day of the season I was kept awake in my base camp from 3am on with the bulls screaming all around me. Some were close some were probably 1/2 mile off. I was thinking "man, this is going to be one great last day". So 1/2 hour before light I head out to get a bead on where I want to be at first light........and never heard another bugle the rest of that day. Most bizarre thing I've ever seen with elk.

Beendare

WKR
The problem is you're at a trailhead, which attracts hunters like a moth to a flame. You'd have to be real lucky to be the only ones there when it was light enough to hunt.

Agreed.^
There are many spots like this where the elk come down to feed in the safety of darkness....then move out before legal shooting light and you are wasting your time setting up in that meadow.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Were there other hunters at the TH? Are you sure they were elk bugles?
If the answer was "no" to other hunters, and "yes" to them being elk, there is no way I would've left them.
Live and learn!

OP
M

mans9110

FNG
Thanks for everyone’s perspectives. There were no other trucks in site and I’m 100% sure they were elk. The one afternoon we came back through the meadow and there was fresh sign everywhere. Looked like the elk were having a party. I think if it happens again we wait. Worst case is its just a late start to the morning hunt deeper in

There is too much there that we don't know, so i would say it Depends.

Last year I found elk coming down into a big flat with some small openings and water at about 9k'. They didn't get there until about 2 hours after dark and were gone 2 hours before dark. They were bedding at 10.5k' - 11k'. It took them about an hour and a half to get there through the thickest brush, nastiest deadfall, and rugged country you could find. It would take Superman about double that time.

That is why I would say it depends, because if the bulls weren't there in daylight, which we are almost certain they were not - it could have been a situation like I witnessed.