Legal to carry in backcountry?

WCB

WKR
agree with what some said above...get what ever basic license you need to shoot varmints and carry away.

JRMiller

WKR
In most ( not all) NF, even in CA, you are allowed to shoot recreationally, so its not uncommon to have a firearm.
As well, legally, your immediate campsite area ( an actual sleeping area, not just a “spot”) is considered your home, which allows you to have a firearm in your camp as well as defend yourself as you would in you're own home
Just dont ever conceal while you are hiking and in most places you’ll be fine.

amassi

WKR
Your right to open carry in the forest is not tied to posession of a hunting license.
The op originally asked about a case involving an illegal concealed carry
Once you remove the concealment problem solved.
Traveling in a vehicle you abide by those laws
Park your car, load your k6 and strap it on where it's in plain sight
Your reason why you want to carry is nobodies business but yours

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RileyMT

FNG
This is an old thread but in case someone searching for this...

This is from FAQ USDA FS website:

3. Can I carry a firearm on the national forest?

The possession and unconcealed carry of a firearm on the national forest is not restricted by federal law or Forest Service regulations with the exception of “prohibited possessors,” such as convicted felons, 8 USC 922g.

State laws regarding the concealed carry of firearms and the carrying of weapons within or on a motor vehicle apply on national forests.

4. Can I shoot a firearm on the national forest?

National forest regulations prohibit the discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or any other occupied area; across a road or any body of water adjacent to a road; into or within a cave; or in any negligent manner that could endanger life or property, 36 CFR 261.10d. The National Forest also closes areas to recreational shooting year-round due to proximity to local communities. During periods of high fire danger, additional restrictions on the use of firearms may be imposed. None of the temporary or year-round restrictions prohibit the use of a firearm in the lawful taking of game.

TheGDog

WKR
I also seem to recall in the regs (check me on this) that you are also allowed to concealed carry while hunting. I think it was that it doesn't mention anything about HOW you carry, if I remember right. You can check the CCR's on Westlaw.

I've got to say I'm a little confused as to what you need protection for or from? Black bears? coyotes? Humans? All of the above will stay clear of you. I've spent plenty of time backcountry in CA nat forests and have never had any need. Also spend time backcountry on the border in So CA... the only time I didn't feel safe was while being molested by CBP agents. Always brought a gun down there but it was a 22lr rifle for jack rabbits (dinner) not for protection.
I've spent plenty of time working in Compton, Watts tower.
I didn't need my gun. But I would still suggest carrying one.

TheGDog

WKR
I've spent plenty of time working in Compton, Watts tower.
I didn't need my gun. But I would still suggest carrying one.
Man... Compton ain't bad. Especially now. It's majority Mexicanos now.

I grew up just over the hill (Dominguez Hills) in Carson (Victoria Park) there near Avalon Blvd and 186th. (by what is now the CSUDH campus and the Olympic Velodrome.) Ugh man... wasn't always the most fun place to grow up at bein' a White kid... Same kinda neighborhood as in Ice Cube's Friday movie... only a little more mixed then that. OMG, especially when Alex Hailey's ROOTs TV Mini-series debuted... Remember Kunta-Kinte? OMFG man... you have know idea how much that damn show whipped-up the anger in those mofos. I experienced soo much Gawd Damn racism and violence at their hands back then. Which is why it pisses me off BIG TIME when I hear little snibbler beyotches in this day and age all trying to pop-off with that race-card victimization BS. I'm all over here like Naw Screw You Jack!, Bump that noise! I know DAMN well what life is like when the Racist boot is on the other foot! You can't tell me nothin'! It's like 20 times worse! Naw man... anybody who plays that card will get no sympathy from me on that isht. All over here hatin' on lil 8yo/9yo me livin' right damn there with em in the same damn hood! Neyba Please! Like I'm your problem? Psssh... SMDH

You learn a DAMN LOT growin' up in a place like that! You learn how to read peoples body language real damn good. You get highly skilled at knowing if these mofos you see walkin' your direction are thinkin' of EFF'n with you or not.

Tell you somethin' else too... you will NEVER FORGET the first time somebody pulls a gun on your ass and tries to run you for your sh*t like the keys to your car.

Oh man... as kids if you lucked out and got a new bike for Christmas? Soon your parents got wise and wouldn't let you take it to the park for like 2-3 months after Christmas because they know mofos would steal 'em like clockwork. Got so sick and tired of that noise you learn to right-away spray-up your brand new bike w/ rattle-can primer-grey so it wouldn't look shiny/new anymore so they'd look at the other kids bikes instead.

And if you decided you wanted to be adventurous and go to the Carson Mall to hit up the Arcade or the Toy Store? You learned to put some money in this sock... some in that sock... some in this pocket... some in that pocket.. some in this back pocket.... some in that back pocket... so if some group of older mofos tried to run you for your money you'd play all boohoo sad face and take out what's in your one pocket and fake cry about it so they don't try to shake you down for the rest of it.

I'll sum it up like this... my two best friends on the block?... the mexican kid nextdoor and the white-trash bad-seed kid several houses down...I come to find out years later as a young adult my nextdoor got all cholo'd out... and apparently shot the other dude in a dispute over some drug dealing there were doing with one another something to do with sellin'... now ones dead and the other is a lifer in Federal Pen.

Glad we got out of there at like 11yo. New place wasn't much better. But at least it was a little better. Then just had a buncha Samoans to deal with that had chips on their shoulders and bad attitudes.

And you know how it is. It's just those people in that particular situation. You grow up and start to experience the rest of this great big world out there and then you realize that you just happened to be unfortunate enough to grow up next to people from other races and cultures that didn't have the right mindset and lacked the education, knowledge and wisdom to break the cycle and make something of themselves. Once you've grown up and met a great many people from all walks of life... then you just realize how sad it is when you run into that class of people that are that closed minded and indoctrinated with that kinda hate-filled identity politics makin' them think that everyone who doesn't look like them is out to get them or hold them back or whatever.

So yeah... carry that gun man. 'Cause everybody gets older man. You ain't always gonna be that bad mofo you once were. Better to realize and accept that fact sooner rather than later, and adjust accordingly.

FLAK

WKR
I may end up in hot water one day, but I be damned if I'm asking the
Govt if I can carry a firearm for protection.
I'm not committing any crimes, just protecting myself and my family.
If they dont want me carrying, then they dang well have a metal detector
at the door to keep EVERYBODY from carrying.
And the back country is a no brainer.

I may end up in hot water one day, but I be damned if I'm asking the
Govt if I can carry a firearm for protection.
I'm not committing any crimes, just protecting myself and my family.
If they dont want me carrying, then they dang well have a metal detector
at the door to keep EVERYBODY from carrying.
And the back country is a no brainer.

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck197

WKR
I guess I’m wondering why the police decided to search a hikers bag....there must be more to that story, even in a commie run hell hole like California I find it hard to believe cops just approached a hiker who was minding their own business and searched their bag.

now that I got that out of the way, have you tried talking to your local law enforcement agency and asking them about the legality of taking your gun hiking?
there would have to be probable cause to search unless he gave permission to search, so yeah, there's more to that story.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful.... You really have to know where you are carrying in CA. NF and BLM I believe you should be ok, however you might get a hard time if you aren't using monolithic ammo (Copper). Also, make sure you are clear if you are on state land, park etc.....

I have a CCW and an officer noticed my side arm while I was taking my jacket off and getting back into my truck after fishing a couple miles into the park well known for bear activity because of the fishing... The officer jumped all over me. Even with my CCW he told me it was unlawful to have a firearm in a state park. He ultimately let me slide... I found it hard to believe I was breaking any laws. Anyway, be careful and know the laws... you don't want to get yourself into a bad legal position. Best.

Be careful.... You really have to know where you are carrying in CA. NF and BLM I believe you should be ok, however you might get a hard time if you aren't using monolithic ammo (Copper).
That's a good point. I know you have to hunt with non-lead, but if you're carrying a hand gun for protection and not hunting with that gun, you can be in possession of lead ammo in NF/BLM, right? What if there is a hunting tag in your wallet? What if you are shotgun hunting with non-toxic shot but also carrying a handgun with lead ammo? I'm guessing they would say your in possession of lead ammo while hunting, and therefore, in violation.

TheGDog

WKR
That's a good point. I know you have to hunt with non-lead, but if you're carrying a hand gun for protection and not hunting with that gun, you can be in possession of lead ammo in NF/BLM, right? What if there is a hunting tag in your wallet? What if you are shotgun hunting with non-toxic shot but also carrying a handgun with lead ammo? I'm guessing they would say your in possession of lead ammo while hunting, and therefore, in violation.
if you are hunting at all, can't have any lead, unless it's an airrifle. if you have hunting license on you better damn well be non lead.

TheGDog

WKR
What are some options for that? Who makes it? I have a KUIU bino harness, I couldnt fit an additional ounce of anything in that thing.
Well I happen to have a Marsupial. And from this site here I clicked on the Razco link and got their holster for my Glock 29 to attach below it. They have a Universal one listed on their site.