Carnivore Diet

nantzh

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been on carnivore for about 6 weeks now. I didn’t have any brain fog either, I watched and read a bunch of stuff about eating plenty of fat and also salt. I use a packet of LMNT once a day to help with that and I think it’s helped. I’m down 30 pounds in the 6 weeks. I haven’t done any bloodwork but should. My heart rate is 12-14 bpm lower than it was and I feel great. My goal is at least a year on carnivore. The only question I have is how to maintain this while in the backcountry? I have a sheep hunt in August and I’m curious if carnivore is feasible during the hunt.
I did a high country mule deer hunt last year on carnivore. I was very concerned with how I was going to do. so much so that I had a few food bags at the truck of my normal hunting food. I performed way better than historically and ate probably half the calories. I had pemmican, freeze dried cheese, some very low carb meats sticks I found and keto bricks. I know Keto bricks are not 100% carnivore but they were perfect for backpack hunting. 5oz and 1000 cals. They are also supposedly developing a carnivore keto brick as well.

Here were my main items:
https://www.ketobrick.com/
https://steadfastprovisions.com

I did a high country mule deer hunt last year on carnivore. I was very concerned with how I was going to do. so much so that I had a few food bags at the truck of my normal hunting food. I performed way better than historically and ate probably half the calories. I had pemmican, freeze dried cheese, some very low carb meats sticks I found and keto bricks. I know Keto bricks are not 100% carnivore but they were perfect for backpack hunting. 5oz and 1000 cals. They are also supposedly developing a carnivore keto brick as well.

Here were my main items:
https://www.ketobrick.com/
https://steadfastprovisions.com
Thanks for the links!

cusecat04

FNG
Carnivore is not magic. The reason people lose weight on it is they eat less calories. Most people that do on carnivore or keto end up putting it right back on. Have to do whatever is sustainable for your lifestyle and you can stick to.
This is it.
Even on these adjusted diets, calories in need to be less than calories out to lose the weight.

I have a friend that seesaws back and forth, currently on the high end looking to lose.
We've had many convos about my approach and he's got lots of excuses... Things I've relayed to him that have helped me.

Food prep to make the healthy choice easy.
One beer instead of 3.
Walk more, stand more, use your body. It doesn't have to be expensive/time consuming/ gram worthy.... just move the muscles you have.
Track everything you put in your mouth.... this is the biggie... and opens eyes on how many calories you actually consume in a day.

Shit food is cheap, easy to grab, and addicting.

big44a4

WKR
Do you use an app to track your intake or ?

MyFitnessPal free version. Get a food scale. Search for foods in search function. Once you log a food it will remember the serving size and make the same food easier to find for fast tracking. I hadn’t used it in 8 years until this past January when I wanted to drop some weight and still had all my foods from back then.

Duh

WKR
The reason people lose weight on it is they eat less calories

Even on these adjusted diets, calories in need to be less than calories out to lose the weight.
Yeah both of these statements are not fully correct. It sure helps some folks on most diets for sure. However, fat adaptation on carnivore seems to be a bit different.

I’ve lost weight and so have many other I know, in a caloric surplus while on carnivore. Granted, it wasn’t a ton of weight but it was weight non the less. The weight loss came well after the water weight came off within the first two weeks of the way of eating.

big44a4

WKR
Yeah both of these statements are not fully correct. It sure helps some folks on most diets for sure. However, fat adaptation on carnivore seems to be a bit different.

I’ve lost weight and so have many other I know, in a caloric surplus while on carnivore. Granted, it wasn’t a ton of weight but it was weight non the less. The weight loss came well after the water weight came off within the first two weeks of the way of eating.

You were not in a caloric surplus then DUH. You can’t lose weight in a “surplus.” That’s not how life works. I’d ask you to explain how you knew you were in a surplus etc but you are incapable and it won’t get anywhere productive here.

bhylton

WKR
You were not in a caloric surplus then DUH. You can’t lose weight in a “surplus.” That’s not how life works. I’d ask you to explain how you knew you were in a surplus etc but you are incapable and it won’t get anywhere productive here.
Wouldn’t it be possible to be in caloric excess and loose weight eating a carnivore diet tho? It’s common and often suggested to eat a lot of fat on this diet. Fat is calorie dense and our body has only a very limited ability to absorb it (digestive bile limited) what’s not absorbed is passed. Therefor, if a lot of your calories consumed came from fat, there a good chance a bunch of those calories are not being absorbed. I don’t know anything about anything, but I could imagine this leading to a calorie excess going in and loosing weight. It’s not technically an excess in your body, because you shat out the extra.. but excess went in your mouth

big44a4

WKR
Wouldn’t it be possible to be in caloric excess and loose weight eating a carnivore diet tho? It’s common and often suggested to eat a lot of fat on this diet. Fat is calorie dense and our body has only a very limited ability to absorb it (digestive bile limited) what’s not absorbed is passed. Therefor, if a lot of your calories consumed came from fat, there a good chance a bunch of those calories are not being absorbed. I don’t know anything about anything, but I could imagine this leading to a calorie excess going in and loosing weight. It’s not technically an excess in your body, because you shat out the extra.. but excess went in your mouth

Not possible. No. Most people here and in the world don’t track their calories either. Your metabolism changes over time called metabolic adaptation. Short periods of time as well. Which is why dropping calories too low will lead to initial weight loss but will have to drop lower or work more to continue losing weight.

For example last time I dropped weight before this year I lost 25# in 4 weeks at 2800 calories straight. This year I had to work down to 2200 calories and only lost 15-16# in 8 weeks total. Why didn’t the 2800 work like it did before? Also I wasn’t tracking before this January so just assuming my maintenance calories were what they used to be when I was eating 3500 calories a day 8 years ago prior was not correct. You can increase calories and lose weight for a short period yes. But it’s still not a surplus. Your metabolism adapts to the change and eventually weight loss will stall or you will even begin to gain weight at the new caloric intake. This is why diet breaks are an important tool for long term fat loss.

Try helping someone lose weight who only eats 2,000 calories a day. There is no where to go but down with the calories. Another reason you don’t start out with 1hr cardio 5 days a week. Only pace to go is more.

1jeds

FNG

Bingo. The law of thermodynamics always wins. A lot of people may lose weight initially on the scale, especially with something like keto/carnivore and is due to caloric deficit as well as reduction in water weight (glycogen stores water along with it in the muscles). I'd wager that most people losing lbs. aren't actually tracking fat loss vs muscle loss vs water weight etc.

I like to refer to this image when people argue about which diet is best:

1714490405186.png

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
Yes you’re right, I’m not coming here to argue with you about a way of eating. However, I do track calories and currently eat two times a day. Pretty much eat the same thing every day with some variation here and there.

First meal: 1 1/2lb of 80/20 ground beef cooked in tallow or ghee, add a stick of butter onto the meat too. The variation is cheese every now an again. That alone is 2,100 calories.

My second meal is usually a New York steak strip or ribeye, 6 strips of bacon, and a half stick of butter, 1188 calories.

It was a bit of a work up getting to eating that much. I sure as hell ain’t burning that with my one workout a day. For the excreting comment above, I shit once a day and they’re definitely not as big as they used to be.

I’m 6” 245lbs and would categorize my workouts more inline with the powerlifting category. So I’m not burning off calories with cardio. Granted I’m burning them pushing weight. Again, not coming to argue but I know people are dropping weight in a surplus. DR, Baker and Chaffee are pretty good listens on athletes and carnivore.

big44a4

WKR
Yes you’re right, I’m not coming here to argue with you about a way of eating. However, I do track calories and currently eat two times a day. Pretty much eat the same thing every day with some variation here and there.

First meal: 1 1/2lb of 80/20 ground beef cooked in tallow or ghee, add a stick of butter onto the meat too. The variation is cheese every now an again. That alone is 2,100 calories.

My second meal is usually a New York steak strip or ribeye, 6 strips of bacon, and a half stick of butter, 1188 calories.

It was a bit of a work up getting to eating that much. I sure as hell ain’t burning that with my one workout a day. For the excreting comment above, I shit once a day and they’re definitely not as big as they used to be.

I’m 6” 245lbs and would categorize my workouts more inline with the powerlifting category. So I’m not burning off calories with cardio. Granted I’m burning them pushing weight. Again, not coming to argue but I know people are dropping weight in a surplus. DR, Baker and Chaffee are pretty good listens on athletes and carnivore.

Once again you can’t drop weight in a surplus. That’s the definition of a surplus. You may drop weight as mentioned above from inflation and water retention based on initial change in foods to a consistent diet. When you eat the same thing everyday at similar times you’ll notice no weight is changing. If you are losing weight you are in a deficit by definition.

I don’t listen to all “doctors” as some say I eat too much protein. I eat over the RDA and over what many say is necessary and I have the results over the past decade to prove it. I don’t want to look or perform how most people do. I know what works for me and that’s high protein 250-300+ grams a day. Far as losing weight I can go high carbs or high fats and drop weight the same all based on you guessed it total caloric intake. I just did this from January-March on an 8 week mini cut. Some days 350+ carbs and others 50. It has no bearing on weight loss.

Back to square one there is no magic pill just the work and finding out what works for you/your lifestyle to be sustainable.

Reactions: Duh

Block

WKR
My new GF has been on Carnivore for 9 months and raves about it,. I might give it a 30 day trail run next month just to see how it goes and if any of my little nagging achy joints and shit feel any better. Heard Joe Rogan talk about the gut benefits of if short term years ago and tried it but I added some fruit, avos, and protein powder so it wasn’t true carnivore.. don’t see it as a long term solution myself,,, esp since I love fruit. But I’ll check back in after I try it. GF “claims” she tried it all b4 this and feels like she’s 20 again (she’s 38) ,,, tho I question the accuracy of her tracking b4 hand, esp since her version of carnivore I call European Carnivore hahaha since she is very strict,, until the 2-3 glasses of wine at dinner lol…

My honest opinion b4 trying it is that it works for some people simply becuz by eliminating carbs they wind up eating less total calories along with a sufficient amount of protein and healthy fats. End of story. They all claim to feel so good.,, well… of course,, you just lost 20-50 lbs…I’m willing to bet I feel better than them haha.., with a ton of CLEAN carbs in my diet.

Last edited:

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
I had done blood work soon after I started Carnivore. Dr wanted me on statins, I said no, see you in 90 days. I had that done today and my cholesterol went up, especially the LDL. So now the Dr really wants me on meds. So we negotiated and I am doing a Coronary Artery Calcium Scan and a Carotid Artery Disease scan. These are both out of pocket expenses, but better than meds if I don't need them. Watching a couple youtube vids, one of them explained why your LDL would go up, and why potentially its not a bad thing. See what the scan says in a few weeks. TG was 101, which was really good IMO.
Weight is down 36 lbs, BP is down some (wasn't an issue).
Also, I REALLY enjoy the diet, but I have cheated some the last month. But right back to it the next day. When I cheat I use real ice cream and not soft serve... hehe
So I got my test results back. Perfect 0 on the Calcium Score of all arteries tested. The ultrasound in the neck to look for potential of stroke appears very good also. Double the bacon please, with some red meat and eggs on the side.
On a serious note, for the cost, time it takes, and my family history, I will probably continue to have these tests done annually.
From December 8 till today I am down 40 lbs.
Hopefully more active summer can get me down another 5 + lbs. Also need to tone up some.