Legality of radio use in Alaska

Feel like I read somewhere that you can’t use radios while hunting. A set of cheap two ways be nice to have if we ever wanted to split up a little bit. Anybody know where this is addressed?

Page 18
You MAY NOT take any game by:
Using wireless communication to take a specific animal by a person until after 3:00 a.m. following the day after the use of the device, EXCEPT: -- Communications equipment may be used for safety but may not be used to aid in taking of game. -- In the Unit 20D bison hunt, the use of ground-based wireless communications to locate bison is allowed. -- In Targeted moose hunts, the use of ground-based wireless communication to locate individual moose for harvest is allowed.

So you can technically have them. Just like each person could have an inreach on them. It would be up to the troopers to prove your guilt and up to you how to use them when no one is (potentially) watching.

OP
P
Page 18
You MAY NOT take any game by:
Using wireless communication to take a specific animal by a person until after 3:00 a.m. following the day after the use of the device, EXCEPT: -- Communications equipment may be used for safety but may not be used to aid in taking of game. -- In the Unit 20D bison hunt, the use of ground-based wireless communications to locate bison is allowed. -- In Targeted moose hunts, the use of ground-based wireless communication to locate individual moose for harvest is allowed.

So you can technically have them. Just like each person could have an inreach on them. It would be up to the troopers to prove your guilt and up to you how to use them when no one is (potentially) watching.
Well there ya go. Thanks.

So illegal if my partner radios me to say, “I’ve spotted a bull. Come here and let’s know if you think he’s legal.”

Is that “taking game” with wireless communication? Seems like a bit of a bull crap regulation.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well there ya go. Thanks.

So illegal if my partner radios me to say, “I’ve spotted a bull. Come here and let’s know if you think he’s legal.”

Is that “taking game” with wireless communication? Seems like a bit of a bull crap regulation.
Not a BS reg at all. It is also illegal to take game the same day as flying or to use a helicopter for any part of hunting. It keeps hunting as hunting.

You can take the risk and argue it before a judge. Depending on the judge, defense attorney, and prosecuting attorney, as well as the tooper involved, I could see the scenario you give above going either way.

Not a BS reg at all. It is also illegal to take game the same day as flying or to use a helicopter for any part of hunting. It keeps hunting as hunting.

You can take the risk and argue it before a judge. Depending on the judge, defense attorney, and prosecuting attorney, as well as the tooper involved, I could see the scenario you give above going either way.
Depends on the flight. Isn’t bait hunting and flying same day good to go? Also, if you fly a commercial flight you can hunt same day. It’s charters or hunting specific types.

Example. I fly alaska air from anchorage to dillingham. I get in my boat and head out and see a legal moose. I’ll be able to harvest since I flew a regular scheduled flight to my unit.

Depends on the flight. Isn’t bait hunting and flying same day good to go? Also, if you fly a commercial flight you can hunt same day. It’s charters or hunting specific types.

Example. I fly alaska air from anchorage to dillingham. I get in my boat and head out and see a legal moose. I’ll be able to harvest since I flew a regular scheduled flight to my unit.
You weren't specifically flying looking for game
That's the loophole I would think

OP
P

I totally agree with the same day rule for bush flight.

I think scenario i laid out should be legal. Or if I just want to check in to see what partner has glassed up. Another scenario…. What about post-shot on game. At that point the hunting portion is over. If shot fired from elevation through thick stuff it might be nice to leave one guy up high to radio directions to guy that goes after shot animal. Obviously guy heading out won’t always be visible, but it might help

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I totally agree with the same day rule for bush flight.

I think scenario i laid out should be legal. Or if I just want to check in to see what partner has glassed up. Another scenario…. What about post-shot on game. At that point the hunting portion is over. If shot fired from elevation through thick stuff it might be nice to leave one guy up high to radio directions to guy that goes after shot animal. Obviously guy heading out won’t always be visible, but it might help
Once the animal is down, no one cares. If using it to stalk a wounded animal, I would consider that "taking."

So, you can check in with your buddy. Can I sit at camp and have 20 "buddies" look for sheep for me, then radio me what they glass up before I head out?

It is allowed for safety, anything else is trying to make sport hunting less sport and more killing. Plan a spot to meet your buddies and discuss what you saw, it is only walking. I live with the regs and they are not an issue. Sure, radios, spotlights, drones, helicopters, spotter aircraft, and thermal scopes would make it easier to kill things. Personally, I like the restrictions on them. If they where legal, I would use them though, but prefer they stay illegal. So, I don't think there use is unethical, only that hunting is better off being less about technology.

Baiting bears and flying the same day is allowed in some units only, this is an exception that is specifically laid out to the rule, which (if we are picking straws because I did not include the wording "unless it is a regularly scheduled commercial flight") is fundamentally different than implying that only specific types of hunts are restricted as all hunts are restricted unless specifically given an exception.

To preface, my interpretation of the regs is only mine. The regs book is technically a guideline and the laws lie in AAC. I have not read the actually laws and probably not smart enough to comprehend them that way anyways. E-mail the troopers to get an answer to your recovery question; at least then you have a record of what you were told if something were to come up. My interpretation is the same as Marbles above. Recovery of an animal is different than take. I know with certainty you can use an airplane to locate a down animal so I would assume directing someone to recover a downed animal would be acceptable. Again, key words are "I" and "ASSUME" and that interpretation is mine and not the judge's.

As far as the same day flight rules, they do not apply to a scheduled commercial flight. As stated above, there are however hunts where you can hunt and fly same day in a personal aircraft. I landed in Merkoryuk on a scheduled commercial flight in March to a blue bird afternoon and after talking with the trooper, he said you guys better get out there while you have a window. We had musk ox dead within 4 hours of landing on the island.

I wouldnt use them at all unless an emergency situation. troopers are always listening even when you think you are the only one out there. i know this from other peoples experiences. dont try to push it no reason to. because if you do get caught and they think you used them incorrectly you can expect a ticket or atleast a court date.

I can see law enforcement making the argument that an animal has not been taken until it has a tag on it. My suggestion is to do your best to have your behaviors fall within the law, instead of trying to find way to skirt the laws.

Your example of the radio to communicate where moose are would certainly be considered an aid in taking game. F&G's view on aiding of taking game is quite expansive, but fair.

You should call F&G to get the real answer. They are usually happy to help with these questions.

We use programmed texts. MD, CD, BD, HH

Moose down. Caribou down. Bear down. Heading home.

If we receive a MD text we all stop hunting and head towards drop off points assist. Caribou or bear we go help if we choose. We hunt out of boats and drop off at designated areas.