Legalized robbery that needs to stop.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
They arent "my" leftovers, im an OR resident. I filled 2 reduced price cow tags 2 years in a row in WY, also met a guy in the same unit that bought an either sex leftover tag and he was packing out a 7x8 bull he killed on his 1st day in the unit. This isn't a sought after unit either. Have you even applied for a WY tag before? IMO they are very generous with NR tags compared to other states. Literally the only thing i wish was different about hunting there is the wilderness rule. I just don't understand what you're complaining about if you haven't experienced the process of obtaining a tag and hunting there yet?
I applied last month for the first time.

I'm not complaining about anything. I'm just making the argument that states shouldn't have the authority to discriminate against NRs on federal land. I do think that the parody between NRs and residents in these states that get substantial federal funds has become a little ridiculous, but maybe I'm wrong there.
I suppose you could pirate elk too, lots of folks do. So are you advocating for separate licensing, management, and enforcement of game depending on what agency manages that land? You think anything would get better with the federal government managing the vast majority of western big game hunting, since most of it happens on federal land? I’m sure that would go great.

Monopoly on state land? Do you realize that the bulk of state land in Wyoming is made up of isolated 1 square mile sections surrounded by private or federal lands, and that there really isn’t much of it? At this point, there are probably more non residents hunting private in Wyoming than residents- most private that is at all productive has the hunting rights bought up by outfitters, and most residents aren’t going to pay that money to hunt.

That's a reasonable assumption, but no I don't think the Feds should manage the wild life. I think governance should be done at the lowest level feasible. I've already stated that having the feds manage the game is a can of worms that would worse for us all in the end. But if the state is unwilling to treat NRs fairly what other option are we left with? Honest question.

In your latter paragraph I think your hitting on the amount of federal land in WY being unjust. I think there's a great argument for that and I've heard great arguments that the Fed retaining ownership of the land after WY became a state was Unconstitutional. I tend to agree with that argument. However, as long as it remains federally owned land, my argument stands. FWIW if there was a movement for western states to take back ownership of their land, I'd lean towards supporting them with certain stipulations.

Since this seems to be primarily a financial argument, I'll bite on that point.
My personal perception is that the non-resident price is somewhat closer to market value for a tag, and the resident price is a privilege given to those who reside in the state.
If you want all elk tags to be cheap, there will be repercussions. The main two will be: 1. Less reason for state agencies to have a large resident tag quota. 2. More applicants. Both of which will result in a drastic reduction in non-resident opportunities.
Personally, I'm glad it's expensive. Animals are worth that much, and probably more. $700 isn't a big deal. Anyone who isn't willing to put forth such a small investment probably needs to be looking at some lifestyle changes before they go hunting out of state.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
I agree, that’s why i don’t.

I didn’t want to pay 25k-35k to shoot a dall sheep, so I moved to AK. I do miss my cheap elk though. Even though I now have to pay NR prices, I think tag prices are still quite reasonable in the overall cost of an out of state hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
I applied last month for the first time.

I'm not complaining about anything. I'm just making the argument that states shouldn't have the authority to discriminate against NRs on federal land. I do think that the parody between NRs and residents in these states that get substantial federal funds has become a little ridiculous, but maybe I'm wrong there.

That's a reasonable assumption, but no I don't think the Feds should manage the wild life. I think governance should be done at the lowest level feasible. I've already stated that having the feds manage the game is a can of worms that would worse for us all in the end. But if the state is unwilling to treat NRs fairly what other option are we left with? Honest question.

In your latter paragraph I think your hitting on the amount of federal land in WY being unjust. I think there's a great argument for that and I've heard great arguments that the Fed retaining ownership of the land after WY became a state was Unconstitutional. I tend to agree with that argument. However, as long as it remains federally owned land, my argument stands. FWIW if there was a movement for western states to take back ownership of their land, I'd lean towards supporting them with certain stipulations.

I definitely don’t want federal lands going to states, because next step is gone from public use, or significant degraded quality of that use. WY game and fish functions on sportsman dollars. Making it “fair” in terms of cost for nonresidents can only mean significant cost increase for residents. Making it “fair” for opportunity only means taking opportunities away from residents, and either of those is bullshit. In reality, those NR tags are still waaaay below market value for the “product”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I like that common sense approach. I suggest implementing it personally for elk hunting out west in WY.
That's an option. The other option is that I got hunt WY, while continuing to say what I want about an imperfect system. Guess which one I choice.

That's an option. The other option is that I got hunt WY, while continuing to say what I want about an imperfect system. Guess which one I choice.
That's fine, just understand you're farting in the wind cause most here disagree with you and it doesn't seem like you've swayed anyones opinion so far

wyogoat

WKR
I’ve tried to read these last few pages with a more open mind. What I see is that @ThorM465 feels there should be a type 10 or whatever tag for ON federal land only with a 50/50 res/nonres allotment?

87TT

WKR
Can anyone imagine what would happen if CO got control of all the Federal land in CO? Be a big no hunting wolf sanctuary.