Leica Geovid Pro 10x32 ***Updated 10/17/22***

2rjs

FNG

Venatic

FNG
I used the Swaro’s most of last Fall for both hunting elk and deer and also used for ranging steel targets out to 1400 yds in shooting competitions like Steel Safari.
They worked well for both type situations and my complaints are not with the ranging and certainly not with the glass.
I could range reflective targets out past 2000 and animals well beyond 1000 yds so no issues for me there.
They instantly give range and drop in Mil/MOA whichever you chose simultaneously which is awesome for Competitions and not a bad thing for hunting.
These are the pros...
Now to cons....
They have the bulge on the bottom which makes them not the most ergonomic and can be cumbersome in and out of chest carrier at times.
I used a Stone Glacier by the way.
The interface with the app used to program is OK but you have to pick from a list of Swaro scopes and just have to guess on some to pick Mil versus MOA to match what your scope is. Not a big deal but not what I am used to with other Ballistic apps.
Also it will only hold 3 rifles... not an issue for some but my Applied Ballistic app has 28 rifles in it so pretty limited comparatively.
Lastly the price is pretty steep compared to Leica
Now Leica Pro’s
I got them from Doug at Cameraland and was in the first shipment back n April/ May timeframe.
Used them mainly in local shooting club PRS matches but just used them on a New Mexico antelope hunt and they are great ergonomically and they are a pleasure to carry for sure.
Glass is very good and I did do one comparison at dusk with them and the Swaro’s. Mine are the 8x32 and looking at 100yds in thick timber at deer horns the Swaro’s 10x42 edged them out giving about an extra 4-5 minutes of making out detail of white antlers which I called a tie.
Ranging distances were slightly less than Swaro’s but not by much so I wouldn’t chose one over the other based off that.
BUT the Leica are slower to boot up once you hit the range button and slightly slower giving a reading and then another second or two waiting for your Ballistic data so when you are on the clock in a competition that’s a big deal and a Con for my use.
Another pro is the use of Applied Ballistic engine which for me is a plus as that’s what I use.
BUT if you plan to use past 800 yds for Ballistic data it will cost you another 150.00 to upgrade or you can pair it to a Kestrel or Garmin watch with AB and it will range and give Data as far as you can range.
I did all three and it worked fine for me.
I tried to use the tracking in the Swaro but couldn’t figure it out and gave up quickly.
I plan to try the Base Map in the Leica but haven’t done it yet.

I also had the Sig 10K’s and if it wasn’t for the bluish tint on the glass I would still have them and these two described above would be gone down the road because they are the best bino RF’s I have ever seen for both ranging and ease of use and pure speed.

2rjs

FNG
That's a great review! I appreciate your thoughts. Do you feel the ranging speed of the G Pro is slow to the point it would be a hinderance for hunting? I'm not a competition shooter so my only shots past 600 are on steel or rocks anyways. It sounds like if the ranging speed is ok the ballistics app would be fine for me.

My primary concern was optics. I've owned Swaro so I figured the EL optics would be better however like you I did not like the idea of the humps on the bottom. I wonder if there would be a noticeable difference in light gathering between 8s and 10s on the G Pros?

Venatic

FNG
The slight delay from button push to the range is displayed is just a second or two so no for Hunting not really an issue in my opinion.

Theoretically the 10x might transfer less to the eye but I bet it’s hard to measure and it’s small enough I would get what I wanted

WILLMCC

FNG
Just curious if you compared them to the EL TAs? I really like the idea of the Pro 32s but there seems to be no comparison reviews of these out there yet and its impossible to find them close by to get hands on.
Yes I did. The big strength that the Pro 32s have is the ability to input a wind value. The EL TAs are extremely nice as well. Both Alpha quality glass.

2rjs

FNG
Does anyone know if the Applied ballistics lite compensates for elevation or will I need to upgrade the app?

Also, does anyone know if the magnets in a Marsupial harness will have a negative affect on these binos?

Venatic

FNG
Yes it will compensate for altitude.
I have heard both magnets will and that they won’t effect the compass so I guess I am still waiting for the definitive answer from an expert in the field of electronic compasses and magnetic fields to post his research.

2rjs

FNG
I took the plunge. Matt hooked me up with a deal at Schnees and I've been using these for a couple weeks. So far I'm very happy with them. Glass is great and low light performance is a lot better than expected. The rangefinding app is very simple to setup and use. I've not tried the location marking feature yet so can't comment on that. Overall, I think these are a great setup

Last edited:
Definitely interested in these as well. As a person that hunts the Midwest for whitetail as well as some western hunts sprinkled in for good measure, the decision between the 8x and 10x is painful....like others have noted, for 1 do-all bino, the 10x is probably the ticket.

Hi guys, Hamilton Boykin from Leica here. If you have any Leica-specific questions, please don't hesitate to post them or pm me. I think I've correctly activated the alert feature on this thread and hope I'll get notifications if you post. One question I saw posed above was whether or not magnets will affect the PRO's compass. -They will. Large metal objects, your phone, and magnets can all affect compasses and ours is no different, but knowing that ahead of time should reduce any issues for users. Regarding light transmission, I run the 8x32 PRO and it is as bright in low light as my 56mm Leica riflescope set on 8 power (its brightest power setting). I hunt in SC mostly, where we can legally shoot deer until 1 hour past legal sundown, allowing us to stay out until 20-25 minutes past hard dark. In this situation, I've never had a time where I could see something with my scope and not see it thru my PRO. Also, FOV 32 of the PRO is actually the same as in a 42mm 3200COM of the same power (10x32 FOV = 10x42 FOV). The 374' FOV I've seen posted elsewhere came from an old spec sheet that was improperly translated from FOV at 1000m to FOV at 1000y. Actual FOV of the 10x42 3200COM is 342' at 1000y vs. 345' in the PRO 32. The 8x32PRO also has a slight advantage of 405’ FOV vs 8x42 3200COM’s 390’ FOV.

rtrenka

FNG
Does anyone know if the Applied ballistics lite compensates for elevation or will I need to upgrade the app?

Also, does anyone know if the magnets in a Marsupial harness will have a negative affect on these binos?
In regard to AB ultra. The bino has built in atmospheric sensors that calculate basically density altitude so the AB dope is adjusted to the current conditions. The main difference is that you get dope to 875 yards in Ultralight and with Elite you get Dope as far as you range plus all the advanced input settings.
2-Yes for sure. All magnets that close to the unit will alter a compass. It will require more attention to compass calibration when using Leica ProTrack.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regard to AB ultra. The bino has built in atmospheric sensors that calculate basically density altitude so the AB dope is adjusted to the current conditions. The main difference is that you get dope to 875 yards in Ultralight and with Elite you get Dope as far as you range plus all the advanced input settings.
2-Yes for sure. All magnets that close to the unit will alter a compass. It will require more attention to compass calibration when using Leica ProTrack.
Ryan,
That's good information to share about compass calibration. I use an optics harness with several magnets in the lid and didn't have issues but I removed the binocular from the tethers while calibrating. It maybe an issue for people who use the Magview phone mounting system with their Geovid Pro's.

2rjs

FNG
Thanks for jumping in here! I appreciate the info!

Cadence64

FNG
With apologies if I'm not doing this right, I'm here to ask Josh questions after reading his excellent review of the 8x32 Geovid Pro.

First, I'm under the impression that the only binos with the ballistic engine in them are the 8x32 Pro model, but I see the two buttons on larger models. Are there not larger models with the same ballistics in them?

Second, in my experience testing at 600y using profiles for rifles zeroed at 100, with known verified corrections, while I sometimes get readings that are on or close to actual observed correct calls, I also get frequent calls for essentially no correction, when at least I know the call is wrong, and calls for just-wrong-enough to miss corrections. The almost no corrections calls will repeat one after another until I move on, or suddenly I will get a real call.

I am noting the range measured and getting 600 +- one or two yards, not 100 on these calls.

Testing against the Gunwerks Revic BR4 and getting some iffy readings there, too, but no clearly wrong ones. Like essentially no call at 600. I've examined my profiles and I don't see how the problem can be there because sometimes I get good readings. Also, the profiles are essentially the same in the Pro and the BR4.

One more thing, one of the options for BC, other than 1 and 7, etc., is CC. I don't notice any difference with CC vs a BC selected, and can't find out what CC is. Radar map? But it's not just available for Hornady (drag profile, no BC) bullets. What is CC?