Leica Geovid Pro - Crossbow mode for Archery.

Utpikahtr

FNG
Has anyone tried using the Crossbow ballistics built into the New Leica Geovid Pro rangefinder with a compound bow?
Looks like you can build a bow profile much like a rifle profile.
My question is, if you had a slider sight and used MILS or MOA for a sight tape instead of yards. Would the correction that the rangefinder gives you for your shot, work with the MILS or MOA sight tape?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious how that's a simpler system than it reading out 80 yards and you moving the pin to 80?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
U

Utpikahtr

FNG
Curious how that's a simpler system than it reading out 80 yards and you moving the pin to 80?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I agree with you on that. Most shots out to 80 don’t require more precision than standard cosine “horizontal distance”. However steep angle shots do seem to have greater errors of margin, and when coupled with a in sight in distance at 4500’ elevation and hunting elevation between 10-12k. There are some pretty big differences in arrow flight. I know that these range finders with on board Applied Ballistics solve for these conditions for rifles. Why not a bow?
I was in the process of adding in a new rifle setup to my software when I saw that they also have options for crossbows. So that is what sparked my curiosity and wondered if anyone had ever tried it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had leica on for the podcast last week taking about the pro ab plus program, which uses Applied Ballistics elite as the solver in this binocular. This would have been a interesting question to pose to them for sure.

OP
U

Utpikahtr

FNG
Agreed. You would think with the AB and the ability for software updates.. This would be a pretty sweet option. Possibly already in the works.

Seems like the main issue or difference between a rifle scope and a bow sight is the way the adjustments for elevation are made/ measured.

The math equation for flight path is the same where it’s a bullet, arrow, or a rock from a sling shot. It’s just the parameters of drag / bc that change.

OP
U

Utpikahtr

FNG
I had leica on for the podcast last week taking about the pro ab plus program, which uses Applied Ballistics elite as the solver in this binocular. This would have been an interesting question to pose to them for sure.
BTW. What podcast is yours?

ZDR

WKR
I use the EHR mode on my Leica GeoPros and couple it with a cut chart from Precision Cut Archery. Its a much better program than archers advantage or archers mark…but, that’s for 3D using my slider and marks instead of a sight tape. You might reach out to Tristan (designer of Precision Cut) and ask him about a MOA/MIL conversion. He is very responsive and might be able to help. if you do, let us know how it goes…

OP
U

Utpikahtr

FNG
I use the EHR mode on my Leica GeoPros and couple it with a cut chart from Precision Cut Archery. Its a much better program than archers advantage or archers mark…but, that’s for 3D using my slider and marks instead of a sight tape. You might reach out to Tristan (designer of Precision Cut) and ask him about a MOA/MIL conversion. He is very responsive and might be able to help. if you do, let us know how it goes…
Thanks for the lead on Tristan, I’ll be reaching out to him. The issue I’m running into with MOA/MIL marks being printed on sight tape is that distance between each hash is also influenced by the distance between the peep and the bow sight.

Reactions: ZDR