Leica Geovid Pro Technical Resource

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I figured out a work around to use the location tracker with OnX. If you choose GPS Tracker (instead of Basemap or Google Maps), the lat/log coordinates are displayed - I was able to manually input the coordinates into OnX and mark the tracked location. I'm guessing you could do this with any topo map application.
Good find 👍👍

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I changed the display timeout to 1 minute. It reduces the annoying circle and blinky bluetooth. Once I've got mine all figured out bluetooth will be turned off unless I need to connect to the app to change a profile.

I was able to get it connected to the Kestrel without issue. Connecting to the Tactix watch doesn't work. The watch doesn't find the Pro.

On the active profile in the app while connected you'll see three little circles at the bottom. It looks like it can use a station (phone?), binos or manual to set temp, pressure and wind speed.

• Easy menu on the binos
  • Ability to leave a wind call in the binos (I leave mine a 10 or 15 mph). It's much easier to use than the way the Fury's implemented it using the compass and multiple buttons
  • Able to read 2000 yards without a tripod
  • I projected a waypoint using google maps and the gps tracker. The built in gps tracker seems much easier to use that google maps
  • Compass calibration is easier than the Fury
Dislikes:

• I expected a bit better glass. 8x32 ELs are quite a bit brighter. They are quite a brighter than the Vortex Fury. I no longer have my Zeiss Victory RF but remember them being a bit brighter than these. Still real good glass but I guess I just expected more
  • Every time I go to the Leica Pro Track menu it tells me I need to recalibrate the compass even if I just did it.
  • I really wish it could be programmed to show the dope before the yardage or be able to change the time between the screens. Using this at matches I need to quickly know the dope. Ranging four targets and waiting eight seconds total for the dope eats time. It sounds rather ridiculous but it's important.
  • The red circle being left on is really weird.
I spent some time in the hills this weekend and expierenced some of the same things as parshal. For reference I have the 8x32. I also have 10x42 ultravids, 7x42 untravids, and 10x42 hd-b for comparison.
Clear glass, especially in low light
Easy to load ballistic data using the app (when it connects- see below)
I found it easier to use my left index finger while holding them to press the buttons as I was able to hold the unit more steady and ranged objects out to 2000 yards repeatedly.
Dislikes:
Constant red circle after ranging. I changed my setting to 1 minute as well. In low light the ⭕️ becomes more of a nuisance as it’s really bright even on the lowest setting.
The blinking blue tooth is also annoying but can be turned off. This is how I plan to use them- load the data I want then turn the blue tooth off.
In the middle of the day the ⭕️ Is not as bright or clear as the hd-b even on high setting.
Field of view is noticeably smaller than 42s.
The app disconnected at one point and it took me 20 minutes to get it to reconnect after trying everything between my phone and bino. It finally reconnected. Not sure how I fixed it but I was thinking what if it happened during a critical moment?
I took two way point readings about 500 yards out using base maps. I then pretended to navigate to these points and they were no where near where I took the readings. They were shifted about 30 degrees counterclockwise. This feature will require more practice and testing before relying on it. This was the biggest disappointment as this was one of the main reasons I wanted these.
My unit also kept telling my to recalibrate everyone opened the app. Also annoying.

My hope is these are all software issues that will be fixed with further releases of the app. I really want these to work as intended.

A note on the glass- it’s always been my intention to use these as secondary glass or neck glass. The ultravids are so much sharper and brighter and with tripod use nothing goes unnoticed. Once game is spotted I will switch to the geovids for ranging and stalking. I was going to sell my hd-b, but I’m going to keep them a bit longer until the pros prove themselves.

parshal

WKR
I did confirm with Leica that the calibration note is a bug. No ETA on the fix but it's easy enough to skip.

I compared the 8x32 to the Fury 5K AB a little bit ago. Both were on tripods. The Fury more reliably reads targets in the >1800 yard range. Also, with Geovid Pro, I was able to range some targets on the first try but, when I went to scan mode, it never read them again. Maybe someone else can test that.

On a tripod, I find the glass better than the Fury but they're closer to Fury glass than they are 8x32 EL glass.

parshal

WKR
I have a dumb question. Why is there a left and right diopter adjustment? On the Zeiss and Fury, one adjusts the focus and the other adjust the focus on the range screen. The red one on this seems to adjust that barrel's focus just like the white one on the left. I found nothing in the manual. The manual just pictures the white diopter adjustment on the left barrel.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Add this to your technical resources for how well Leica did QC before sending these out...BC63F439-3647-47A9-9721-E18C97EB5B14.jpeg

parshal

WKR
I took two way point readings about 500 yards out using base maps. I then pretended to navigate to these points and they were no where near where I took the readings. They were shifted about 30 degrees counterclockwise. This feature will require more practice and testing before relying on it. This was the biggest disappointment as this was one of the main reasons I wanted these.
My unit also kept telling my to recalibrate everyone opened the app. Also annoying.

I tested this a bit today. I ranged a house at 1600 yards while using the GPS Tracker in the app. I'd skipped calibration. I saw the direction it gave in the app and then used the iPhone compass and found it off by about 30 degrees counterclockwise as well. I calibrated the compass and did it again and it was within 6 degrees which is well within the margin of error in my ability to point the phone.

Once the coordinates were in the GPS Tracker and chose take me to Google Maps. It took me to the map app with the pin. I noted the pin was the neighbors yard and not the house so I copied the coordinates into onX Maps and used a distance line to see how far off it was. It's not a precision method but did show 85 yards.

I'd say 85 yards off at 1600 yards isn't too bad. If I had to look for a blood trail I'd have trouble but if I had a few landmarks I saw through the binos it'd get me close. I planned on using that feature to get me close to a place to stalk an animal while glassing in the wide open. I believe this would work just fine for that purpose.

Mds2004

FNG
On a tripod, I find the glass better than the Fury but they're closer to Fury glass than they are 8x32 EL glass.

Do you find the Leica's worth ~$1400 more than the Furys for a smaller form factor and not substantially better glass?

I'm wanting to replace my mediocre binos, phone with AB, and an older basic Leica RF with binos that have much better glass and a rangefinder with a ballistics calculator. The Geovid Pros intrigued me because I was hoping they would check all the boxes for glass quality, AB built-in all while being built into one unit with a smaller form factor.

I really want to be, but am just not sold yet on the trade-off of having lesser optical quality for a more convenient combined unit.

JGRaider

WKR
If you think Geovid's don't have substantially better glass than the Vortex Fury AB you're kidding yourself.

parshal

WKR
The difference between the Pro glass and the Fury is less substantial than the difference between the Pro and EL. The Pro is definitely better but not as much better as I expected.

I'll be selling the Fury.

I spent some time in the hills this weekend and expierenced some of the same things as parshal. For reference I have the 8x32. I also have 10x42 ultravids, 7x42 untravids, and 10x42 hd-b for comparison.
Clear glass, especially in low light
Easy to load ballistic data using the app (when it connects- see below)
I found it easier to use my left index finger while holding them to press the buttons as I was able to hold the unit more steady and ranged objects out to 2000 yards repeatedly.
Dislikes:
Constant red circle after ranging. I changed my setting to 1 minute as well. In low light the ⭕️ becomes more of a nuisance as it’s really bright even on the lowest setting.
The blinking blue tooth is also annoying but can be turned off. This is how I plan to use them- load the data I want then turn the blue tooth off.
In the middle of the day the ⭕️ Is not as bright or clear as the hd-b even on high setting.
Field of view is noticeably smaller than 42s.
The app disconnected at one point and it took me 20 minutes to get it to reconnect after trying everything between my phone and bino. It finally reconnected. Not sure how I fixed it but I was thinking what if it happened during a critical moment?

My hope is these are all software issues that will be fixed with further releases of the app. I really want these to work as intended.

A note on the glass- it’s always been my intention to use these as secondary glass or neck glass. The ultravids are so much sharper and brighter and with tripod use nothing goes unnoticed. Once game is spotted I will switch to the geovids for ranging and stalking. I was going to sell my hd-b, but I’m going to keep them a bit longer until the pros prove themselves.

is this calibration thing similar to some other handhelds where the digital compass needs you to move around before it can start pointing the right direction? is this possibly why it wants you to calibrate before you navigate? just thinking outloud

also be good to hear more solutions on that red circle being in the way when you want it gone and if anyone confirms if they find the auto brightness feature as mentioned in the Eastmans video

thank goodness for you guinea pigs! seriously...appreciate it, this is a substantial investment, it's looking like most things it will be a bit of a learning curve but sounds like the glass and ranging performance are not a question, I am like a few others, to combine my 10x32 ultravid hd's and my crf-1600 into one unit that my right or left hand can reach the buttons is pretty appealing even without navigational potential

parshal

WKR
is this calibration thing similar to some other handhelds where the digital compass needs you to move around before it can start pointing the right direction?
Yes, that's what it is. The calibration is quicker and simpler than the Fury. It's just tilting them 45 degrees each direction and moving them in a figure eight.

mike175gr

FNG
This is a great thread. Thank you posting it. I am eagerly awaiting mine to arrive (ordered in early March)....

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Look what appeared on the Leica Website

Geovid Pro Manual

This wasn’t available a few days ago. In the booklet that comes with the unit it references a “long form” instruction manual that I was unable to find. The link printed in the book was a dead link but now appears to be published.

Items worth noting:
On page 15 it states that if the blue tooth is activated the auto power off will follow the setting, 1,3 or 5 minutes. If the blue tooth is turned off the red circle turns off after 10 seconds. I checked this and it works. Thank goodness as that ⭕️ gets annoying. On mine it seemed more like 7 seconds but I might count slow.

On page 21 it states that if the menu button is pressed briefly the atmospheric conditions are displayed- angle, temp, pressure. Mine does not do that- blue tooth on or off. I’m sure that was the intention but mine does not display these. Hopefully this will be fixed with the first update. If so I will have no more complaints.

On another note, I’ve spent more time behind the glass and have to say I’m getting more impressed with the optical performance. They glass seems to be much better than previous geovids. Still not ultravid level but better than previous models.

Let me know if you are able to get your unit to display atmospheric conditions.

parshal

WKR
Good find!

A short press on the menu button takes me to wind entry as described on page 23. I tried the different range modes and still the same.

parshal

WKR
Ah, yes. I figured it out after the circle was there.

That also made me think of an easy software modification. Once a target is ranged, it would be cool if you could press the mode button to cycle through the output. You'd not have to wait the two seconds for range to get the dope that way. That's much easier to program.