Leica vs Sig Rangefinders

I'm getting packed to go elk hunt next Thursday. I pulled out my Leupold 2800 and noticed it was dead. Replaced the battery and it's still about as lively as Joe Biden's brain at 4pm.

Since I'm leaving in a few days I really don't want to order something online and gamble on next day air or pay for that kind of shipping.

My options are a Leica 2400 from Scheels or a Sig 2200BDX.

I might be able to get a Leica 2800.com shipped to the GF Scheels from the Billings store.

I had the old Rangemaster 900 back in 2008. LOVED IT! But sold it for the Loopy with angle correction.

I do long range shooting so I was wanting to upgrade my range finder. But it seems looking through the app store on Apple both Sig ans Leica apps are wanting in one way or another. But the Leica complaints were more towards the 3500.com.

I don't really want to drop $1,300 on the fancy Sig. And it seems the 2800 Leica does everything the Sig does but with probably better glass.

How important are the Bluetooth range finders over say just the 2400 Leica? I mean I've got the solvers on my phone. Is the 2800 that much better over the 2400 to justify the extra 150 bucks?

josef

FNG
The sig ranges way faster and has applied ballistics. If you’re just using it for archery either should be fine. If you plan to shoot a rifle the sig is the way to go in my opinion.

PVS

FNG
I have the Leica 2800.com, yes it’s a dumb name, and the glass is really nice and it works well. Cycling through though the menus is not intuitive but you don’t have to very often.

The feedback on the Sig 2200 is a bit mixed compared to the high percentage of positive reviews of the Leica. Leica‘s been in the rangefinder business for a long time and their stuff works very well. Can relay that I was in a mountain hunting camp a few years back where other folks were bragging up why their rangefinders were better than my Leica — except theirs became somewhat useless through even light mist, while the Leica was soldiering on.

The Leica is compact, more rugged than it looks, does exactly what it is expected to do - angle compensation included. Leica also stands behind them.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I am going down this road as we speak. I have a crappy vortex that wont range a metal shed at 800 yards. I am curious about the leica2800.com(agree stupid name) and a kestrel elite paring. Anyone else use these two together?

11bar

FNG
Sig lasers are hard to beat I had a 2200 before I went with ziess rf binos and had great luck with both game animals and shooting lr out too a grand

Axlrod

WKR
Used a sig and a Leica side by side for a month last year. sold the sig kept the Leica.
A few months ago got a Revic BR4, for long range it is very good. No bluetooth- you upload your cartridge to it from an app in your phone.
Going to keep the Leica for archery.

I bought a Leica some time around 2005/6 best I can recall. My hunting seasons are long Oct thru Feb/April. my Leica has been bouncing around in a atv and a pack in cold and hot, dry and wet conditions and has never failed to range. If you looked at it you might think its seen its better days but I just keeps on working. I take the battery out at the end of every season and replace it with a fresh one In October. If it ever does crap out , and it may, I will buy a Leica 2400. I’m always looking for a reason to upgrade it but it never gives me a reason to. I think it says something that a guy has had a peice of gear he uses about everyday he hunts for so long he cant remember exactly when he bought it. Believe me my closets are full of gizmos that I dont use.

Slugz

WKR
Someone smarter than me advise on this as I heard it from a very technical optics dude a while back.
To paraphrase:

"All rangefinder technology started / emanated from the Leitz / Leica / Ziess cameras circa 1930 something"

"Since then as technology has advanced all have tried to keep up with Leica rangefinders and their internal parts/technology but cant due to some patents"

Does that still hold water ?

Last edited:
Can’t speak to the Sig but I have a Leica 2800.com. I have been very happy with it, easily ranges everything I need it to when I need it to. For rifle hunting I pair it BT with a kestrel 5700 elite running AB. No issues there either. Just takes a second to boot up the kestrel. This is for long shots anyhow, not something I would do super quick anyways.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I should add that the Leica I have is a Rangemaster 2000B. I think I got it Christmas 2018. I have been very pleased with the clarity of the optics, and it will absolutely range targets out to 1000 yards. I have not messed much with the ballistic computer functions. I pre-calculate my dope and hold points and have a card taped to my rifle, so all I need from the rangefinder is the range itself and maybe the angle compensation, although I find that latter is not as much of a factor in the real world as people on the Internet make it out to be.

Mnash

FNG
I’ve had the Leica 2800, 3200 binos and the sig binos. I don’t own the sigs anymore. Not only is the glass far superior in the leicas but the rangefinder beam divergence is way tighter as well. I know the sigs can range the moon but when do we ever shoot that far. The problem I run into far more often is being able to shoot a range on a target or animal through brush or trees, and the Leica beam does a much better job of that. (0.5x1.2 mils) I will say the Bluetooth connectivity and app sucks on the Leica, but I prefer a hard card anyway as long as I’m getting an accurate range.

manitou1

WKR
My Sig 2000 was lucky to hit reflective distance of 800 yards on an ideal day. My Leica 2400 will easily double that and more.
The Sig was more intuitive though.