Leptospirosis in dogs (from dirty streams)

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody on here have a hunting dog or scouting companion diagnosed with leptospirosis bacterial infection from drinking water containing the bacteria?

My dog has some symptoms that align with lepto...some mild lethargy, decreased appetite (very unlike a retriever), slight dehydration and blood and urine samples are showing some mild signs of potential kidney infection or damage, also a symptom of lepto.

Our vet Ingalls just mentioned potential kidney disease, but I am asking her to dig a little more into potential Lepto based on the symptoms and knowing that my dog will go out of her way to drink from any stream or a puddle, even when I pack water for her.

Anyone had experience with this in a dog and care to share how the diagnosis was made, treatments, etc? We started a round of Amoxicillin for a kidney infection, but wondering if I should ask the vet about Doxycycline as that seems to be preferred for potential leptospirosis.

Thanks.

Wellsdw

WKR
Most dogs are vaccinated for leptospirosis. That said I’m sure it’s not a 100%. You can run a liver panel fin him. We do it on ours once they hit 9-10 years old. Pretty cheap