Let's discuss a tripod setup for bino's

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I'm ready to make the jump and get a tripod setup for glassing with my bino's. I have Swarovski EL 10x42's and I've been considering sending them in for an Outdoorsman's stud install. I did a little research and this is what I have put together so far. I spend a lot of money on gear but I'm trying to convince myself that $810 is worth it to be able to attach my bino's to a tripod. Any better options? Am I on the right track? Let's hear it Roksliders.

Slik 634 carbon fiber tripod $250
Outdoorsman's Pan head $400
Outdoorsman's stud install $90
Outdoorsman's tall adapter $70

16Bore

WKR
Holy schit....I bought a second hand Vortex High Country, took out a few sections of the legs, jimmyphuqqed an adaptor and thought I had something.

Marketer2

FNG
You are on the right track. The outdoorsman system is the best out there. The swaro stud is ok but the outdoorsmans system is the last one you will ever need. The only thing I would consider is their pistol grip instead of a planner. I liked the pistol grip better mor my style of glassing.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I got a cheap tripod on Amazon, dont even know the brand of it. Have used it hard for 5 plus years, I dont think it cost 100 bucks. :p

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
There are tons of options out there and you'll get a lot of opinions. Bottom line is that it is night and day when it comes to glassing off a tripod and just free handing it or trying ways to stay steady. I always thought I was pretty good with my 10s at being steady but I was amazed when I threw them on a Tripod. I would highly suggest getting a tripod of some sort. I used a tripod for a long time that I had to either be sitting or place on something if wanted to stand. I have a taller one now that I can use in all positions including standing. It's still light enough to pack so I don't just leave it behind. I find myself standing and glassing a lot, mainly for the field of view. Anyways I use Swarorvski 15's and 10s with the outdoorsman stud and tripod adapter. Never had an issue and I think it's a quality product.

Trr15

WKR
That’s a nice setup. There are certainly cheaper options, but probably few better. I like the outdoorsmans pistol grip for my Binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I have a promaster 525xc with a benro head and the outdoorsman tall adapter and have no issues and it’s quite a bit cheaper option. If I was going to use just binos and no spotter I would look at the outdoorsman pistol grip and panner but that’s a lot of coin when my benro head works just fine.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Haven’t looked at the pistol grip. I’ll check it out. Be using it solely for Bino’s and no spotting scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
The Outdoorsmans pistol grip and panner attachment is an awesome way to go for binoculars. I have both the pan head and pistol grip and if I was just using binoculars I would say pistol grip all day long.

cattleman99

Lil-Rokslider
Id recommend Leofoto for a tripod. You will want a heavy duty solid tripod to support that expensive glass. Leofoto is affordable and solid.

JoeDirt

WKR
Id recommend Leofoto for a tripod. You will want a heavy duty solid tripod to support that expensive glass. Leofoto is affordable and solid.
+1
I run the Leofoto LS-324C, i've also shot some magnum rifles off of it. No regrets!

I dont remember the weight of my setup but its around 3lbs with a small ball head and Outdoorsman adaptor.

Last edited:

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
You will never wonder if your tripod is up to standard. I would probably buy an Outdoorsmans if I didn’t have other stuff to buy.
That said, I don’t have any complaints about my used $50 Pan head.

There are a lot of great tripods out there. The Slik is a good choice as is a lot of the Sirui's and the Promaster new X-CM series. Plus the Sirui VA5 head has gotten rave reviews here. Of course we are here to answer all your questions and take care of you with pricing as well
Give us a call at 516-217-1000
Joel

Since the OP is only using 10x42s on the tripod I would suggest a lighter/smaller/cheaper head. IMO the Outdoorsmans Pan Head is more for bigger binos and spotters. The Micro Pan Head is more like the right size for 10x42s, but certainly there are less expensive options from others like Benro, Sirui, etc that will do well.

With the Swaro ELs you don't really have much choice about the Outdoorsmans stud and tall adapter. With the EL's double hinges the stud installation is the best route.

For the tripod and the head there is a world of options. I'll cast a dissenting vote and state that I used a pistol grip for a while and really prefer the Micro Pan Head. To each their own.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Thanks for the info so far. There are so many choices to look into. I prefer to sit down for glassing so I can probably get away with a shorter tripod but then if it’s not tall enough to use while standing I wonder if I’ll regret that? I’m 6’ tall for reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info so far. There are so many choices to look into. I prefer to sit down for glassing so I can probably get away with a shorter tripod but then if it’s not tall enough to use while standing I wonder if I’ll regret that? I’m 6’ tall for reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think most all of us prefer to sit down while glassing. But, when you need to look over bushes you'll need to be standing. You can probably sit in really rugged country, but in more rolling country you're more likely to have to stand. In more rolling country it is harder to find a great vantage point.

I'm 6' also. I've been really happy with a Promaster 325CF from Camera Land. It has three leg sections so it is more stable than the 525 with five leg sections. But, the 525 is way more popular because it packs down smaller. The tripod is 5-1/2' so when you add the head and adapter it is plenty tall enough.

Last edited:
Unless you need it at standing height, or you really don't mind carrying extra weight, the Aoka tripod is what you want. It's incredibly stable up to it's 38" height with binos. And for $89, it's worth the shot. It'll always be a super lightweight alternative.

Also, if you're looking at the Outdoorsmans Panhead, consider the Jim White 2.0 version for a more universal attachment system.

JoeDirt

WKR
Unless you need it at standing height, or you really don't mind carrying extra weight, the Aoka tripod is what you want. It's incredibly stable up to it's 38" height with binos. And for $89, it's worth the shot. It'll always be a super lightweight alternative.

Also, if you're looking at the Outdoorsmans Panhead, consider the Jim White 2.0 version for a more universal attachment system.
I was eyeballing one of those hard. I ended up buying a monopod......