Let’s play a game. Build me an optics system with $5K

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
If you were handed $5K and were to build an glassing system for western big game (mule deer emphasis) from scratch, what would you pick up?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Meopta Optika LR 8x50 Range Finding Binos

Meopta Meostar B1.1 HD 15x56 Binos

Lightweight Carbon Tripod

Outdoorsmans Micro Pan Head, Bino Stud, and tall bino adapter.

Have money left over for ammo and tags.

Beendare

WKR
I think I’ve tried just about everything.

If you are a one size type guy and young…the 12x50 swaros are a darn good-do it all bino. Not great for old guys like me to hand hold…

For a Two part system hunting the west I use 10x NL and uhd 18’s rarely dusting off my spotter.

I would buy the Vortex UHD 18s- (better than 15x Swaro or Meoptas) , a carbon Sirui tripod with ball head and Swaro El or NL….eff the spotter unless you would turn down a 180” mulie because he didn’t make 190”

For 90% of guys, you can tell whether you would shoot a critter or not at 3/4 mile with 10 powers.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Maybe wait a few weeks. I’m attempting to do a fairly objective comparison of all that and with other members so won’t be my sole opinion.

chav0_12

FNG
I think that’s about how much I spent on my setup. I have Swarovski 10x42 SLCs, 65mm ATX, Leica 2800.COM, a Sirui ET-1204 with a VA-5. I’ve been pretty happy with that setup. While you might say that’s more than $5k I did get some great deals on all of it. Can’t really say, but it was right around that $5k number.

Edit to add: I will at some point own 15s, and an 85/95mm objective for my ATX. Having 15s is awesome especially for long range spotting work. 15s would be a setup that stays close to the road for me.

Last edited:

WKR

WKR
Zeiss or Swaro Range finding binos, Swarovski sts or ats 60mm with the 25-50 wide angle lens.
This is of you plan on back pack hunting. Otherwise look for a bigger objective lens spotting scope.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Fwiw once the comparison is over I’ll have almost all the stuff for sale used at good prices if you are looking to save over new.

Assuming I’ll have mini razor, STM 65, Kowa 66a, either NL or EL 12s and maybe some others.

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Fwiw once the comparison is over I’ll have almost all the stuff for sale used at good prices if you are looking to save over new.

Assuming I’ll have mini razor, STM 65, Kowa 66a, either NL or EL 12s and maybe some others.
I will absolutely stay tuned. Great idea with the comparison you’re doing, it’s exactly what I’ve had on my mind. I might be first in line to buy

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
If your in CO or close come see for yourself!
Dang, wish I was closer. I’ll be curious to see if you compare the EL to the NL. I’ve looked through both, but not in the field at the same time. Those are the big dogs IMO

I'd pick these up at a smoking deal

Then a spotter, compact I'd go with this demo STC or reach out to S&S for the kowa 553

I'd go full size spotter, kowa 88, call S&S or camera land, you'd be below the 5K for an alpha set up

Rifle or archery or ready for both?
Does this include just glass or your tripod as well?
Backcountry hunting or short hikes from the truck in the morning?
What state or all states?

jimh406

WKR
Most of the reviews I've read say the difference at the top is personal preference, so I'd go take a look at them in person. You may have to go used to get the top quality glass especially with the spotter.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Swarovski 10 or 12 NL and a little ATC/STC spotter. I’ve had just about every combination one could think of and of push came to shove those are the ones I’d keep.
In the process of selling/ have sold off a bunch of stuff to get NL 12’s and an ATC… last glass anyone would need for 90% of hunts. I can think of a few hunts where you may want a bigger spotter but that’s it

wildcat33

WKR
EL range 10x42 and a tripod. Done.

I have a nice spotter and rarely use it. Don’t want to carry it and not often I’m glassing from the truck.