Let’s play a game. Build me an optics system with $5K

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle or archery or ready for both?
Does this include just glass or your tripod as well?
Backcountry hunting or short hikes from the truck in the morning?
What state or all states?
Good questions. Also will only be hunting mule deer.
1. All weapons, mainly muzzleloader and archery, however
2. Tripod already purchased. Optics only
3. Backcountry, some front country (1-3 miles)
4. Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada

I figure more reponses would include range finding binos. Do you guy typically just carry that separately

Hnthrdr

WKR
Rangefinder technology changes rapidly. I find it much more cost effective to upgrade RF than Alpha bino
Agree, fancy rangefinders are still only 400-600 ish vs 2k. Never tried the RF binos mostly since I’ve never felt that I need a 10x RF

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Love the responses. Thanks everyone. Turns out this wasn't a hypothetical exercise, I'll be making some big purchases in the next few days/weeks.

Here's what I'm leaning towards and why:

1. Swarovski EL 12x50: Alpha glass, biggest investment of the lineup as I'll spend the vast majority of my time behind this glass. Fits best in my hands, I'm 6'6" with bigger/clumsy hands. Absolutely love how these work off a tripod. Deadly glass. I also prioritize brightness, clarity, and eye relief over anything else, even if it weighs 7 ounces over the NL 12's.

2. Swarovski STS HD 65: Tough decision here, but I don't use the spotter enough to justify more money or weight. It will be used solely to confirm rather than to find animals. I'm hard on my gear, so the warranty will be nice to have. This might be the decision maker for Swaro over Kowa in this category.

3 (maybe) Maven B3 6x30: Might bring a compact bino into the equation if I can find good enough glass that doesn't push over 16 ounces. This would be carried on the chest and used for first looks at the ridgetop, then while stalking/still hunting.

I hear your points on the 12x EL but I’d steer you towards the 12x NL

The FOV, ergonomics, and stabilization put it in another category by itself. You will need to hand hold these and when you do you’ll be happy you got a lighter bino that stabilizes better.

Heard on the spotter. I’d go angled though. I’ve done the straight route and it definitely puts the setup in a box. Straight spotters for verifying are faster. The angled is more versatile outside of verification when breaking down country especially at steeper angles.

With 12x NL’s your spotter budget isn’t big! Used is always a good route to go. The Kowa 773 used is amazing for the price.

I’d suggest 8x or 10x NLs / ELs no matter what. Then your bigger glass depends on a couple factors: Lots of varying terrain out west— if you’re gonna be looking for tine tips sticking out of brush at a mile, you can’t beat a spotter. If not, get big binos like the 15 SLCs. Your personal experience will determine how diligent you will be sitting with an eye patch or squinty eye all day—it’s much more enjoyable to sit behind big binos. Are you trying to dig up bedded bucks, or see animals as they move with a big FOV? Do you need to add up the inches on a buck, or just see that it has a mature frame?

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
I’d suggest 8x or 10x NLs / ELs no matter what. Then your bigger glass depends on a couple factors: Lots of varying terrain out west— if you’re gonna be looking for tine tips sticking out of brush at a mile, you can’t beat a spotter. If not, get big binos like the 15 SLCs. Your personal experience will determine how diligent you will be sitting with an eye patch or squinty eye all day—it’s much more enjoyable to sit behind big binos. Are you trying to dig up bedded bucks, or see animals as they move with a big FOV? Do you need to add up the inches on a buck, or just see that it has a mature frame?
Good way to look at things. Definitely situational, as everyone hunts different slices of country. My “bucky” spots are 9,000 feet and higher. Narrow, rugged canyons usually less than a mile across. I’ve never had a view over two miles in my unit. I’ve found the 12x on a tripod to be just right for picking bucks out on the move, while also getting me close enough to find ear flicks mid day. I definitely see the use case for 15x or even 18x binos in the big, desert areas. Just haven’t hunted that stuff yet

Bham $1900 leaving $3100 left and you get a Magview

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
I hear your points on the 12x EL but I’d steer you towards the 12x NL

The FOV, ergonomics, and stabilization put it in another category by itself. You will need to hand hold these and when you do you’ll be happy you got a lighter bino that stabilizes better.

Heard on the spotter. I’d go angled though. I’ve done the straight route and it definitely puts the setup in a box. Straight spotters for verifying are faster. The angled is more versatile outside of verification when breaking down country especially at steeper angles.

With 12x NL’s your spotter budget isn’t big! Used is always a good route to go. The Kowa 773 used is amazing for the price.
This sounds like a great setup. I better find a way of putting a pair of ELs up next to the NLs. I’ve heard nothing but raving reviews of that Kowa 77, too