Let's start working on solutions

Billinsd

WKR
The death rate is what sets Utah apart. It has the lowest death rate in the US, aside from Wyoming, which has only ~200-300 cases. My theory behind Utah's low death rate is because ~90% of the population is Mormon, and Mormons smoke less, drink less alcohol, eat healthier, and do more exercise than the average American.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Isn't the hardest hit area Park City? I read that Summit County is one of the highest infection rate per capita in US. Sounds like tourists and the Spur Bar were ground zero? I'd imagine that there aren't many Mormons there?

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Honest question and I really don't know the answer. Why are the numbers so good in Sweden? They aren't doing anything besides social distancing and banning gatherings over 50 people. They are low/mid of the pack in Europe.

Same with Utah here in the US?
Scandinavians are very clean people. Polar opposite of Italians and Latin people and similar to Germanic People . I'm sure that has something to do with it. I read in one of Laura Wilder books where her dad comments on their Norwegian farmer neighbors with an imaculate sod house with a dirt floor and how clean they were. That's how my relatives were, are.

Okhotnik

WKR
I just had to go pick up something from Walmart.

I dreaded having to go but it was needed.

What did I notice? WAY MORE PEOPLE THAN EVER THERE!!! All this bull **** has done was cause everyone to panic and actually put themselves at MORE RISK!!!

A large portion of these people were middle age, grossly overweight, driving the electric scooters while wearing their little mask!

Funny how that works! Stores are packed and empty with product!

Seems we were safer not being told all this bull and being scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw quite a few grossly overweight guys and gals on Walmart scooters wearing face masks and buying cases of Coca Cola, Mountain Dew, beer, ding dongs,ice cream, chips, processed fried food this past weekend. Not one piece of fruit or veggies in their carts. So much for compromised immune systems

Okhotnik

WKR
Scandinavians are very clean people. Polar opposite of Italians and Latin people and similar to Germanic People . I'm sure that has something to do with it. I read in one of Laura Wilder books where her dad comments on their Norwegian farmer neighbors with an imaculate sod house with a dirt floor and how clean they were. That's how my relatives were, are.

Italy is flooded by tens of thousands of Chinese visitors a year and has a large Chinese manufacturing base employing 1000's of Chinese in Italy. Spain receives a lot of Chinese tourists every year too. Sure that didn't help.

f

Billinsd

WKR
Italy is flooded by tens of thousands of Chinese visitors a year and has a large Chinese manufacturing base employing 1000's of Chinese in Italy. Spain receives a lot of Chinese tourists every year too. Sure that didn't help.

f
Right, that's a much bigger factor than cleanliness!!! I never hear all the Chinese in Italy or Spain on the news or most other places. Thanks

jmez

WKR
Northern Itsly has over 100,000 Chinese Nationals from the Wuhan province. Multiple daily flights from Italy to Wuhan. Most of them return to China to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

Huge link between Wuhan and Northern Italy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Isn't the hardest hit area Park City? I read that Summit County is one of the highest infection rate per capita in US. Sounds like tourists and the Spur Bar were ground zero? I'd imagine that there aren't many Mormons there?
Summit county is by far the highest infection per capita in UTAH, but less than half what several counties in NY are at and about a third of Rockland. And yes, probably late-to-go-home tourists, especially skiers, were the cause of that. Just like the N.B.S ski convention on March 6 in Blaine county, Idaho, helped to make that area a hot spot.

The death rate is what sets Utah apart. It has the lowest death rate in the US, aside from Wyoming, which has only ~200-300 cases. My theory behind Utah's low death rate is because ~90% of the population is Mormon, and Mormons smoke less, drink less alcohol, eat healthier, and do more exercise than the average American.

As of this morning only 6 confirmed deaths from COVID in Alaska (actually only five, because one of the Alaskan cases was a guy that contracted it in Seattle and also died there). I don’t know what the death rate has been in Utah, or how it even compares per capita, but fortunately for us, it’s still pretty low. I’m really, really hoping that given we are so isolated up here we will be somewhat insulted from the the spread, and we don’t see the surge that other parts of the country have seen. I guess we’ll see. Stay safe and wishing good health for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There shouldn't be a middle ground. This is America. Our economy shouldn't have been shut down to begin with. As America, the government should have made "recommendations". Then as Americans, we have the freedoms and liberties to "choose" how we go about life. If one wants to barricade themselves in their homes for several months, that's their choice, and freedom to make that choice. If they want to go about business as usual, that's their choice and freedom to make that choice. If grandma wants to isolate from society......that's her choice. This used to be America, where we had the freedoms to choose to keep our businesses open and not be forced into bankruptcy by the Kingdom.

If one is truly isolating by their choice........how on earth are they going to get this virus from someone that is choosing to not isolate? If someone breaks into Grandma's house, then ya, that's a problem even without the virus.

But in the end, 10's of 1000's of people die every day in this world even without this virus. People die.......that's a fact. What's ironic is all the folks that are screaming for lives to be saved, but at the same time are also screaming for the abortion clinics to stay open. That is about as illogically messed up as one can get. If you're pro-abortion, then you forfeit your say in saving lives.
BOOM!!!!!!! I was going to give my advice. But, the above statement said it much better then I could.

So, what is your solution to this? Theoretically, you're right shave been trampled. The government has grossly overreached - provide a solution.

You gonna start a civil war? Throw of the yokes of tyranny!

LOL!

There is a great callousness with which you guys treat other people's lives. If it is real, a little sacrifice to save lives is not to great.

The way folks who talk statistics and numbers show they don't value life. We only lost "10,000" - it is less than 0.001% That's 10,000 mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, kids, grandchildren, etc. If it was one of your's then it would be diff. Folks don't talk like that if it happened in their own family. It's not a statistic then. Crazy aint it.

How are the older vets handling this? Do they feel that their sacrifices have been trampled or are they concerned for people in this time of need?

Back to your solution to running around crying that your rights have been trampled upon.

So, you gotta stay home a month and uncle sam is giving you extra money to ease the suffering if you lose your job.

Folks have a right not to be exposed to a virus by other folks. If this turns out to be a scam, there will be easy answers. Right now there isn't. Your solution of just letting people spread it is not an acceptable solution - too bad you can't see other people's health as having value.
Stay Home. Quarantine yourself. And, anyone that feels that is the right thing to do needs to do the same. If they/you stay true to that conviction of self preservation, there would be no worry of getting sick. One last note, it isn't uncle Sam's money It's your kids and grand kids.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I do feel bad the way you were treated upon returning from Nam. It was terrible and no soldier/person should feel that way. Unfortunately we cannot go back and treat them better. I’m glad to see we as Americans have changed and hold soldiers very highly. My issue is with the “POS left”. To make it fair, you need to make every Dr., nurse, first responder how you feel about the “POS left” just in case they are one of these people. I’m sure you wouldn’t want your life saved by a “POS left”. End of my .02. Thank you for your service
RS , I hear what you're saying but my resentment is more of the type towards those who are trying to change our GREAT COUNTRY to that for which many men and women died to protect from what they want this country to become.
I think the world of those helping or even trying to help, including truck drivers, store workers and those in harms way, I should not have made the statement so broad but that's just me.

If you go and look in the link I provided there is an age breakdown.
Yes, I found it reading through the thread after posting that. FWIW, thank you very much. I'm patiently awaiting his response. I know the people on the front line of this are seeing terrible things. But, I also know many people on social media are acting irrationally, outside the ht zones, based on the facts we do have. If you agree to anything but lock up country wide, for 1/3 of the year based on their suggestions and biased knowledge, you are just ignorant, stupid, uncaring, etc...

Also, for those that are having to go through this now, I pray for you all. EVERYDAY. So, dont take my comments as malicious or uncaring.

jmez

WKR
You will be insulated and won't see the surge AK. Population density is the foremost factor in an outbreak. It's not a mystery that the middle of the country looks the way it does. It will continue to look that way.

They are preparing, wasting a lot of money and causing a lot of angst preparing for a wave in Western South Dakota that isn't coming.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rs3003

WKR
RS , I hear what you're saying but my resentment is more of the type towards those who are trying to change our GREAT COUNTRY to that for which many men and women died to protect from what they want this country to become.
I think the world of those helping or even trying to help, including truck drivers, store workers and those in harms way, I should not have made the statement so broad but that's just me.
I understand. Thanks for your service again. Good luck in all.

Wyoming has the lowest death rate with zero. WV is second with 2 deaths per million. Utah is sharing a rate of 4 deaths per million people with about three other states.

Saw quite a few grossly overweight guys and gals on Walmart scooters wearing face masks and buying cases of Coca Cola, Mountain Dew, beer, ding dongs,ice cream, chips, processed fried food this past weekend. Not one piece of fruit or veggies in their carts. So much for compromised immune systems
Me and the wife went to the market early saturday morning. It was amazing to me to see other peoples buggies. Soda, sweets, processed food, all sorts of snacks and junk food. I exchanged looks with most everyone who had buggies full of veggies, unprocessed foods, eggs, meats, etc..... Most all of those people would look at our buggy when we passed and smile.

I was feeling proud because I felt like we had won the contest. So good, I put a 6 pack of Corona beer in ours. Which made us loose out to a mid 30's hottie in the check out line. She obviously lived by the motto that what you put in your body is what you get out of it. :^)

Rob5589

WKR
Me and the wife went to the market early saturday morning. It was amazing to me to see other peoples buggies. Soda, sweets, processed food, all sorts of snacks and junk food. I exchanged looks with most everyone who had buggies full of veggies, unprocessed foods, eggs, meats, etc..... Most all of those people would look at our buggy when we passed and smile.

I was feeling proud because I felt like we had won the contest. So good, I put a 6 pack of Corona beer in ours. Which made us loose out to a mid 30's hottie in the check out line. She obviously lived by the motto that what you put in your body is what you get out of it. :^)
The claims of food shortages are, overblown, at least in our area. The produce section is stocked daily, meat counter is full. The only sections that are thinned out are eggs, dairy, junk food, and canned goods. You can definitely tell peoples eating habits during this situation.

Utah Mormons engage in a few unhealthy activities. Far from clean and unpolluted.
BUT, they know how to isolate and stay home and be with just family. A lot of Utahns are healthy too.
Most engage in outdoor activities of some sort so health is a natural way of life. Also the big thing is eating habits. They aren't the McDonald on a regular basis. They are cook at home for the regular routine.
I believe not eating the hormone, antibiotic and steriod injected meats is key to a healthy life style. Plus the outdoor activity allows the Vitamin intake needed too.

I moved here from Az and the culture is way different.