Let’s talk about annealing

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done the torch and socket method a few years. My buddy says it’s a wast of time, but on our second prairie dog trip of the year (second reloads) 30% of his 243 brass were splitting and unable to be reloaded. We use different powders and bullet weights but I’m on my fifth reload of some of my brass and never have problems.
The one positive is that he doesn’t have to trim his brass. I usually start trimming to length after my third reload as they’re starting to stretch.

After annealing are you guys neck sizing only? And if you are trying to use the brass as fire formed to my chamber will this not mess that up? Kinda new to reloading and I've noticed a few pieces of brass were dang difficult to neck size.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

annealing is great. it helps with consistent shoulder bumps and neck tension, and in turn consistent bullet seating I run a giraud and an amp annealer depending on what im working on. You don't need to do it every firing, but i have and it doesn't hurt .

Jake mentioned using a brass prep service on the podcast, who does he use?

FLS

WKR
I anneal my match rifle brass to help maintain consistent neck tension, which leads to low ES, which leads to minimal vertical dispersion at long range. I load it until the primer pockets get loose.
I don’t anneal my hunting brass. It doesn’t get as many reloads and I’m not trying to maintain the extremely small extreme spreads in velocity. Proper die set up and reloading technique do all I need for that ammo.

no idea. I have not sent anything in quite a while. Hope not!

I'm not a SH member, but was digging around last night.
And he posted in April he was no longer doing it due to some issues causing long turn around time.

I need to get a couple of batches done after I shoot them up.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have anything to do with SH anymore. I’m sure someone else is doing it now. DJ’s is a great company too

I'm not a SH member, but was digging around last night.
And he posted in April he was no longer doing it due to some issues causing long turn around time.

I need to get a couple of batches done after I shoot them up.

I do not have anything to do with SH anymore. I’m sure someone else is doing it now. DJ’s is a great company too

I found DJ as well that's who I'm sure I'll use.
Hes only one that really built a website so I figured he must be a little more legit.
Thanks.

Annealing is a process that aligns the molecules of the material being worked with. It is a process that makes the material more dense, thus stronger. In other words, the material is packed tighter. There are set scientifically established temperatures and duration of the temptures for different materials, along with specific cooling temps and duration. So, if you are not using a machine for this process, you are winging it.

I use the AMP machine. It is worth the money. I had the old torch set up but now if I want to do 5 or 10 or so casings, I simply turn it on, anneal, then turn it off. No lost time due to set up and what not. I actually shoot factory ammo for hunting, just do to the fact that over the years I have found that I can put a lot of time into a hunting load, and then, enter Hornady Precision Ammo. It shot just as good as my handloads. So why load when I can spend more time shooting. BUT, I had done a lot of F-T/R shooting in the past since 2012 and found that annealing helped with bullet seating in terms of consistency, prob mostly because of the better, consistent neck tension I was getting due to the brass not getting work hardened. I am not scientist but I did notice that vertical on a 10" bullseye at 1000 yards was decreased after incorporating annealing. Is this the case everytime? Prob not, but in my case, with my rifle and load as well as my discipline I was shooting, I feel like there was a benefit. My $.02

Reactions: FLS