Let’s talk Flat Tarps

Trial153

WKR
I am in the market for another flat tarp. I have Seek Outside Gunnison tarp that used a bunch. I want a second tarp slightly bigger for hunts this year in Alaska.
Order of importance..
1) durability
2) light weight
3) material, sil nylon/ sil poly Dyneema
4) price
5) features ( line locks, rings ect )

What’s everyone’s suggestion?

*zap*

WKR
mld supertarp is among the best, comes with lots of exrtas...mine is silpoly.

ianpadron

WKR
Durability #1 and price #4...sounds like the Kifaru Aegis is your huckleberry. Their fabric is so freakin' strong, more abrasion resistant than other silnylon shelters I've had too.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Durability #1 and price #4...sounds like the Kifaru Aegis is your huckleberry. Their fabric is so freakin' strong, more abrasion resistant than other silnylon shelters I've had too.

I looked at it a bit, little on the heavy side. I wish the sheep tarp was a little bigger

I run an 8x10 zpacks dyneema tarp. 7oz bare. Hits about 10oz with stakes and lines. They are pricey but fairly durable. I pair it with a 4 oz dyneema ground cloth and I can handle me plus gear or 2 people who want to be cozy for a pound.

FWIW - for flat tarps, I tend to think dyneema is 3x cost and half the weight.

I have syl/polly/ nylon tarps of all sizes going back to my +20 year old USGI poncho. They all work fine. My seek DST and Jimmy tarp 6x9 get the most use. However, now that I have a couple of DCF tarps, I tend to grab those when saving weight.

I just got a Hyperlite dyneema tarp. I've used their ground sheet one as a small tarp for a while and like it. I don't know where it is going to fall durability wise though, it seems really thin. (8'x10'- 11oz)

rafiki

FNG
this just sent me down a rabbit hole and landed on youtube DIY tarp builds. if you have a sewing machine (and some basic skills), you can make one of these for like $40 bucks.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
FWIW - for flat tarps, I tend to think dyneema is 3x cost and half the weight.

I have syl/polly/ nylon tarps of all sizes going back to my +20 year old USGI poncho. They all work fine. My seek DST and Jimmy tarp 6x9 get the most use. However, now that I have a couple of DCF tarps, I tend to grab those when saving weight.

Curious your thoughts on the DCF weight loss and size gain? The 2 tarps I have to compare, I value the smaller packable size of my sil/poly tarp over the ounces I shed with DCF.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a borah 7x9 silpoly in the mail. Posted spec is 9.6oz. I had him add one extra center tie out, which I think was $3, for a total $105.

Curious your thoughts on the DCF weight loss and size gain? The 2 tarps I have to compare, I value the smaller packable size of my sil/poly tarp over the ounces I shed with DCF.
short answer: DCF isn’t that much bulkier, especially if you compress it or fold/roll it but there are cheaper ways to shave weight.

Longer answer: i find the compressibility of DCF is more of an issue with tents or items that are stuffed vs folded or rolled. I fold and roll my main 8.5x10 DCF tarp and it is on par with a stuffed tarp of similar size. I think experts will tell you it wears the DCF on the creases but it hasnt been an issue for me. I stuff the smaller items and they look a little bulky but get squashed down in my pack. I think DCF has its place, but I still seem to grab my DST for some trips when I am not trying to count ounces. Comparing those two, Fully loaded with stakes and lines there is 10-12oz of difference between the 2 and they are roughly the same size (In fairness, my dst is rigged with heavier lines and stakes). I would give the DST the edge in durability based on my intuition but I haven’t use either enough to wear them out so can’t say for sure. Neither loves cuts, sparks or abrasion. The DST is $140 and the zpacks is $400.

for size comparisons see below:

Top Row
- Seek DST plus stakes and lines. 9x10 Bare tarp is 20oz. with stakes and lines it is 27oz
- 6x9 Jimmy tarp. 12 oz
- 5x8 Jimmy tarp 10oz

middle row
- MLD pro poncho 5x9 at 9oz
- zpacks DCF poncho 5x7 at 4oz
- zpacks tarp 8.5x10 at 11oz with stakes and lines

bottom row
- Nalgene for scale
- hyperlite designs ground cloth 4x7 and 4oz
- heavy duty sil poly ground cloth (seek?) 5x8 and 13oz

IMG_7039.jpeg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
short answer: DCF isn’t that much bulkier, especially if you compress it or fold/roll it but there are cheaper ways to shave weight.

Longer answer: i find the compressibility of DCF is more of an issue with tents or items that are stuffed vs folded or rolled. I fold and roll my main 8.5x10 DCF tarp and it is on par with a stuffed tarp of similar size. I think experts will tell you it wears the DCF on the creases but it hasnt been an issue for me. I stuff the smaller items and they look a little bulky but get squashed down in my pack. I think DCF has its place, but I still seem to grab my DST for some trips when I am not trying to count ounces. Comparing those two, Fully loaded with stakes and lines there is 10-12oz of difference between the 2 and they are roughly the same size (In fairness, my dst is rigged with heavier lines and stakes). I would give the DST the edge in durability based on my intuition but I haven’t use either enough to wear them out so can’t say for sure. Neither loves cuts, sparks or abrasion. The DST is $140 and the zpacks is $400.

for size comparisons see below:

Top Row
- Seek DST plus stakes and lines. 9x10 Bare tarp is 20oz. with stakes and lines it is 27oz
- 6x9 Jimmy tarp. 12 oz
- 5x8 Jimmy tarp 10oz

middle row
- MLD pro poncho 5x9 at 9oz
- zpacks DCF poncho 5x7 at 4oz
- zpacks tarp 8.5x10 at 11oz with stakes and lines

bottom row
- Nalgene for scale
- hyperlite designs ground cloth 4x7 and 4oz
- heavy duty sil poly ground cloth (seek?) 5x8 and 13oz

View attachment 676010
Thanks Man, great info!

I will try the fold/roll and see if I can get it smaller in volume.

TedO

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs Dyneema 10x12' Flat Tarp. It's huge, only 1lb and has been great. Bearpaw will customize as well.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Any one have any experience in with then Viam outdoors 1.1 silpoly they use? Looks like a sweet spot between weight and price? If it’s well made and durable… it might be the way I go

J.Hunt

FNG
I am very happy with my Seek Outside DST Tarp. I think it checks all your boxes and I love the center reinforcement which most others don't have.

I decided to go with a Borah 9x9. I can’t speak on quality yet but their customer service was great answering all my questions. For line loks I plan on attaching the ones from lite outdoors. They have 1.8mm rope that works with them so there’s not much of a weight penalty. Tie them on with a double fisherman’s knot and you’re good to go.

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I just got a Hyperlite dyneema tarp. I've used their ground sheet one as a small tarp for a while and like it. I don't know where it is going to fall durability wise though, it seems really thin. (8'x10'- 11oz)
I also have a Hyperlite. I love the thing, lightweight, gets smaller with each use (breaking in the fabric) and is strong as hell.