Leupold Alpine CF-425 Tripod

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider

Leupold Alpine CF-425 Tripod​

Just curious if anyone has any
experience or thoughts on this tripod for glassing? I realize it is a ball mount and may need to be upgraded for fluid motion glassing?

Azhun

FNG
Have only had 15x56s on mine. I love it. It’s a stout product that I don’t worry about when packing externally on my pack

atmat

WKR
It’s not a good purchase.

It’s very lightweight and the ball mount is small, leaving much to be desired. It’s also a re-branded Leofoto with 2x the price tag. For that reason alone it’s not worth having.

OP
Snowhunter11

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea what would be equivalent in weight/size in another brand? Just curious if others are using something similar

atmat

WKR
The Alpine is very light (2 lbs). You could run a Slik 634 (2 lbs) and get a Wiser Precision pan head (or SmallRig) and be just a couple ounces heavier with a much nicer product.

OP
Snowhunter11

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I had some cheap trekking poles in twist and the locks were garbage. My new leki are flip locks and I love them. I will just go to the store and play with a few. I imagine you get what you pay for just like everything else. Thanks all for your input.

dewert

FNG
I like flip locks and find them quicker but they seem to be heavier. All the super light tripods use quick locks.

OP
Snowhunter11

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Currently thinking

Leofoto LSR-284C Rapid Ranger Flip Lock Tripod Legs Carbon Fiber CF 4 Section​

Benro s2 pan head

All in the under $400 if they go back on sale.

Plan is for them to support 10x42 leupold binos. And Kowa TSN-663m prominar spotting scope.

I realize better items may exist just on a budget at this point in life with the family. Money spent on spotter seems to make more sense then tripod. Am I wrong?​