Leupold Binoculars

edevans

FNG
I see people talk about Leupold riflescopes, but nobody talks about their binoculars (at least to my knowledge). I see a lot of posts about vortex and other brands, but no one hardly mentions Leupold. Is there a reason for this?

ET8300

FNG
I am also interested in this. I have been looking at the

BX-5 SANTIAM HD​

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
All my rifle scopes are Leupy's three Mark 4's and one VX5 and a few others...Over the past few years I bought several pairs of Leupy binos. One from Costco out of a bulk bin and a couple of BX5's that happened to be on sale.. They just don't compair to their scopes and definatley don't compare to alpha binos. If you have to have some knock arounds to bounce around your pickup they are great for that. Plus if they get stolen you arn't as butt hurt.. I finally broke down and got some Ziess and now I'm kicking myself for not just getting those to begin with. Sure you got save up, but they are worth it.-WW

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
I know models and technology probably has changed, but about 5 or 6 years ago I was looking for a pair of "budget binos" and went to Cabela's to try a few out. I don't remember all the specifics of the other binos but I looked through everything Cabela's had in the similar price range of the 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks. Since I was more concerned with price than anything, I was looking at dissimilar models so this really wasnt a 1 to 1 comparison at all from magnification or objective size standpoint so take this as a grain of salt.

Anyways, I remember looking at Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Cabela's brand, Stiners...the two that were closest to my price range and as well as wanting 10x, I narrowed it down to the Vortex Diamondbacks and some model of Leupold. Looking at these side by side in the store, the Diamondbacks kicked the pants off the Leupold's. The Leupold's were "nice" for the price range but they were not as bright seeming or as clear. This was long before HD binos were a thing but remembering back, it was like looking at HD with the Vortex but standard def with the Leupold's.

Personally I dont think they can or probably care to really compete with anything on the budget price range (at the time I was looking several years ago). They probably just rely on people that greatly follow their scopes to just buy their binos out of brand loyalty. I constantly find myself going back to Leupold scopes, I think they are very good (by no means the best) and like what they have to offer...with that said, I would just look else where for better binos. Things might have changed and could be a difference experience for the higher priced binos. However, if you are specifically in the market right now, it seems like some of the big guys are either updating their lineup for the year, are planning to or are having year end sales. I have seen some good deals on binos right now if you are ok with getting "old" models of things. Some Vipers are less than Diamondbacks right now.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
After a lot of research, I ended up with a pair of Leupold BX-4 in 10x42. I'm an eastern hunter hoping to eventually make it out west, so for what I do I don't need alpha glass. The BX-4 line compares favorably with the Maven C.1 series, and you can buy the 10x42 new for a shade under $400. I previously had Diamondbacks and the BX-4s are better in every way. I really like the open hinge design and the glass is good (not amazing, but you wouldn't expect it to be in budget binos). The only complaint I can remember consistently seeing with the BX-4 line, and BX-5 for that matter, is that the eye cups are chunky. Not a problem for me, but had been for others.

I think Leupold just flies under the radar on binos a bit. They make some real junk, and by the time you get to the BX-5 level, there may be better options for the money. For me, the BX-4 line is a sweet spot between quality and price.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I have the BX-4 binos and they are way better at low light than the vortex diamondbacks gen 1 I had before this. I do find myself really spinning the focus to fine tune my view a lot compared to my older binos. Is it clearer glass, yes. Does it take more time to fine tune to the distance I am looking at, also yes. For the price I got them at used was a great deal. If I did not get that deal I would have got Maven C1's based off reviews

Other note is that it is a split hinge design so adding a stud adapter to them, the stud sticks out the front of the binocular and the binos won't stand up flat if you go to set them down or put into bino harness. So I recommend the RRS cinch if you want to put them on a tripod. Here is a pic playing with the mounting options that shows stud off front and the cinch attached to tripod:

Cinch:
SVTI1NkUydbb62rpDpRNSRNyzGXJG6R081n1fZ0aYbyYTRXB7bqtDOSwpX67yKillbo8UL4oiJZdONo5FYKbUtlNeVFmqidpz_tYnyBp1m19LP_rqjPFmh1HyZ-xOl9v9y0DoC15OVp3CvmGcyuMRYURPwZ6lZsjt5YuGJQtVc5fwss2Nnzajsx6iC7k2siaGwUbSzaWEN1HyBhlIKEOWKXOW5ge2TPIsLogg2BX6d2T4CBqzn6Lsiwfdc6OphuclRUNcqVEcp-GYcUmDu8tzqvKEg2CHEH3LcsHfY3NrKOXPS8JizhH6CYa-c_FwzBlpAvd9VQQyHck4b61y8PPMkvOg3shctDhzx7l0w-2OhU9DA6AuYiVYmJV74p8c1xvZoJ6kj-YMNv4OOUmPo30YeiUL4iYyUrZ_qm_qI6EPaOqtI3E4E6Uc1Vr2zjIEbccygwyCaeVkchJ-koBi2UiF3IRoE2tzE26AODTh3sP2EngqbsaVOYDXHWgfeTgJbizPUEifMnECDJJDyMKWEK_s8j6zbzuflKXDtXKWgSWoh6Pu0VzfA79u-OjkvlZhvsno-ZxL4NvbXAPTC1oabALaaDEZRFVHHQDoMSpWCNhzueMbGxmQQvPg3wT8hC1gY_QCCrG9VtFb2QVumOJpPJh8sC2za_vAvt_zdo343ZZ3ljK762fQmjQKU_sBAkrP7KSWdmK8nou0XDn6Pj5Fu5OSbfZ=w1292-h970-no

Stud:
OrhUCXd-5zquS8yoAInMGG8-a4MM7ywONjxhiqs12Bzn8aGMUlbLH7dO-DaaC_WHQXs9IyEm4tlCw0nM0dvZhO4MtSw62fbA0aYpH7Kb-r86tr0oKYLk2Okrpt_zMd1rBj7WZTcX4hlvylB2tm85sPjqnnG25PKw41FeddC8FC9L0Zgb8o722GpbHSETb33bjOtUE6vTiJYw96AMGoUV3Zy-IPFieRXqj-ghHnrl3KEspsr93iLkwMNUO174d_zPMQP7OZDHm0ZhK0z3mjnYtKu1jmG68PbyRUByGWoxvvCmMLUCXcnJWamvtSv2384iU1CYi4mEDqsgd6yL0rVEh564td4nOSORpbHZqpsW8R50tLWi1FkLL6UQ1UacxUOGHgRfwXzIUPm9pxxQnxMqED2lKiDjBf54Bd654RXjnsWJ2cT00IIsmvd4N-hud-AJ6JiYQE5aL0iWLiza0Xc_QnmjLZ4t5kvjkL9oY6_WJMKL7HTz-H4Yv5Gu96rYfyQniCqrOFiEXK0zHO4QEPCNqLpybE6g17gUmJs1uPgP7vHDLcbVrTR8Ogl7IoHdZO0d3QWvHLrmlOvdqOwfVmZwZJSuqmaqtPZE42iZ7d1Nk_8pE1-u9r26fR4ePrpBDZAfhu0jyVTzeh464ZY1lTrxF5uWjke6Znpf1rmoDGw73ZYrklBrMfQAXPvDWnfPhwBtDUO1EnrfLFivbNWcIU57yAZZ=w727-h969-no

ET8300

FNG
All my rifle scopes are Leupy's three Mark 4's and one VX5 and a few others...Over the past few years I bought several pairs of Leupy binos. One from Costco out of a bulk bin and a couple of BX5's that happened to be on sale.. They just don't compair to their scopes and definatley don't compare to alpha binos. If you have to have some knock arounds to bounce around your pickup they are great for that. Plus if they get stolen you arn't as butt hurt.. I finally broke down and got some Ziess and now I'm kicking myself for not just getting those to begin with. Sure you got save up, but they are worth it.-WW
Thank you for the info. I also have several Leupold scopes as well as a swarovski. I am happy with the Leupold scopes. I will look at other options for the binos.

nobody

WKR
Every company has what they're good at and what they're known for. Leupold has always been known for their simple, lightweight hunting scopes. But when you're talking about entry level to upper mid tier binos, they're beat out by almost everything else in the same price point. It's almost like their binocular line were a bit of an afterthought. Leupold is great at the lightweight hunting scope thing, but their binos are nothing special. The glass is at or slightly below par depending on the price point, the eyecups are clunky and blocky, they're just not anything special! They're solid, and I have no issue with their stuff and wouldn't say they suck, I just think there's better buy's at every price point they compete at.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Every other post is clearly a Ford, Chevy, Dodge answer. Every bino works different for different users. None will look the same for everyone. I’m a huge fan of my 8x32 BX-4 and 12x50 BX-4. I’ve passed my 10x42 Conquest to my son as they don’t work as well for me. If the shoe fits then wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mejresc2

FNG
I had to return a pair of BX 4s to sportsman's due to horrible purple fringing, Got the new pair and liked them until they fogged up, spent 20 to send them to Leupold got a brand new pair with another purple fringing problem, spent 20 dollars to send them back to Leupold,got a new pair liked them till they fogged up, sold them , I also had to send my 15x56 bx5s back because the focus stopped working, that's a total of over 60 dollars I had to spend to send they're mistakes back to them, used my kids pair of BX2s for a bit they fogged up on the same day I was using my sx4 spotter on the same day it fogged up. No joke. I haven't yet sent the latter two optics back I'm wondering it's worth dealing with Leupold. I have a pair of Tract Toric binoculars on the way, I'm hoping they're on par with the razor uhds

hiker270

WKR
I have several Leupold rifle scopes and have no complaints, have never had to send one back for a repair. Have not had as much luck with the bino's. Bought a pair of BX-4 Pro's and sent them back and the pair I got back was no better. I just could not get the left side adjusted to get a clear image. Spent a little more money on a pair of Leica's that I think are great.

LostArra

WKR
Leupold Golden Ring HD 10x42 are nice but heavy and no longer made.
(These are different than the non-HD, 10x40's)

My main issue with the Leupold BX series is materials and build quality. Construction / ruggedness is important, especially for the conditions and environments many hunters operate in. Compare the Zeiss Conquest torture test to this Leupold. How do you think this Leupold would fare in the same test?

3D5189D4-DA09-4A89-B99B-B984443639FF.jpeg