Leupold Rangefinder opinions

I currently have an older Leopold 1000 rangefinder that does the TBR. Only issue I have with it is that in bow mode it doesn't give me the yardage cut past 60 yds. Not normally an issue but this year I missed a nice buck at a steep downhill shot. He was at 63 yds. and I shot over his back because the rangefinder didn't give me a cut distance. Sure I could have tried to range a tree at 55 and guess, but in the heat of the moment I didn't.

I like the Leupolds, so I'm sticking with them. I do a little rifle hunting but really only shoot out to 400 yds., although I do like to practice out to 500-600 or so.

My basic choice is go with the older RX-1,000i TBR or the new RX-1,200 TBR with DNA. What's the difference? I mean aside from the obvious gain in distance, which I have no use for. I believe both do cut yardages in bow mode out to 125 yds. which is more than enough for me.

Thoughts? No, I'm not going to buy a Leica or a Vortex. Always had good luck with my Leupy, just want more cut yardages out of it in bow mode essentially.

Thanks.

Eagle

WKR
I own the 1200, and the furthest I've been able to obtain a readout on range so far is a little over 900 yards. I know it's accurate to 500 as I've tested it at my local range, but have no idea outside of that. I bowhunt more than I rifle hunt and bought this rf due to the fact that it'll perform equally as well in bow mode as it will out to 500+ yards. Great little unit and handled the rough weather I encountered in Wyoming this year without any issue.

I have the 1200, it gives me the same ranges out to 1000 as my g7 or my leica 1600b did. Very nice little rangefider for the money. Its rides on my harness all the time from archery to rifle hunting. I have the g7 in my pack. Its small, light, durable, accurate, and affordable.

That said, if you have no need for anything over 150 yards there are some offerings from other companies that are made for archery only and will cut to 150, but that is about as far as they will range. Can be had for less than half the cost of the leupold. I just got my wife a buckmaster something or other used for like 90 bucks that does cuts and ranges to about 150, nice little rangefinder.

Joe

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 1200 TBR. I have shot out to 1103 yards in ideal conditions. No complaints except that sometimes it takes a couple clicks to get a range past 800 yards.

Bughalli

WKR
TBR 1000 as well and love it. It's been a couple years, but I compared everything out there and this was the best without getting insanely expensive.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
I had one a few years ago, another guy we were hunting with had an old Leica. Hands down the Leica. I got home, returned the Leupold and immediately bought a Leica. One of my better gear buys to date. YMMV

Stwrt9

WKR
I have the 1200 as well and so far so good! it was an easy choice for me

Eagle

WKR
I had one a few years ago, another guy we were hunting with had an old Leica. Hands down the Leica. I got home, returned the Leupold and immediately bought a Leica. One of my better gear buys to date. YMMV

Leupold had some issues with their rangefinders back in the 2005-2010 range, but they are much better now. I owned an RX1 and sold it after a season, but the 1200 tbr I own now is much nicer.