Leupold vx-3HD vs. Vortex Viper HSLR

dwov222

FNG
I have a .300 Win Mag that I have always had a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 SFP scope on. It has since started to have a "floating" zero so I am wanting to upgrade. Currently I have a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 SFP on it and its not bad I just want elevation adjustment in case I ever do go elk or moose hunting in the future. I am torn between the Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 and the Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 both SFP. I like the low profile CDS turret on the Leupold, but I like the 30mm tube diameter on the Vortex compared to the 1" of the Leupold better (I have always heard bigger tube lets more light in??? Not sure if that is the case, but that is why I am here). I wanted to ask everyone here what their experiences are. Does it really make that big of a difference going with a 30mm tube over a 1" tube? Is a 50mm objective lens really necessary?

I mostly only hunt whitetail with this rifle, but wanted to look into something a little more capable of taking a 400-500 yard shot if needed using elevation adjustments instead of holdovers for bigger game.

What is everyone's opinion on this?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Run from the Viper. They are notoriously bad. They are made like the Viper PST Gen 1. I am not generally an anti Vortex guy, but they are bad… I had two that Vortex replaced and I sold them. A buddy had one and had to do the same thing. In fairness another buddy who shoots less has one that hasn’t failed.

It’s not the tube size that determines light transmission. It is the objective size and glass clarity.

Larger tube diameter scopes allow for more elevation adjustment in the turrets. That’s pretty much the only benefit. Just adds more glass and more weight.

Better glass in a 44 mm objective and better coatings on glass will make it far better than a cheaper 50mm objective.

I had a VX3 and wasn’t impressed by the glass, I mean it was good, but next to my other scopes I was meh. I didn’t keep it long enough to get any other opinion on durability. Here at Rokslide, Leupold isn’t a favored scope for durability/fragility. If you don’t mistreat it, it should be a good choice if you are set on one.

It’s hard to give a recommendation that is universally approved in that price range, IMO. Getting a good scope that dials repeatably and it suitably durable and robust with good glass is difficult. Every product has its weak points/features and failure rate, but, money buys lower rate of failure.

I will always give that caveat or hope you don’t have a problem. Do your best to pick one that is the best you can at your price point.

I don’t know of SFP scopes, but I would tell you to buy a gently used scope so that you stretch your money to the best scope. Reaching into the next “quality bracket” is more important than buying new, IMO. Buy from a reputable seller here on Rokslide and you won’t get a beat up scope instead of a gently used one. Ask for pictures and talk on the phone if you need. Worst case, maybe if it is a lemon you may have to send it in for repairs.

SWFA is the bombproof answer to your question with good glass and reliable dialing, but you will have to wait or buy used if they pop up.

What bullet and velocity are you shooting with your win mag?

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Welcome to RS
1" vs 30mm has to do with travel, not light transmission.
50mm vs 40mm will gather more light.
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
Run from the Viper. They are notoriously bad. They are made like the Viper PST Gen 1. I am not generally an anti Vortex guy, but they are bad… I had two that Vortex replaced and I sold them. A buddy had one and had to do the same thing. In fairness another buddy who shoots less has one that hasn’t failed.

It’s not the tube size that determines light transmission. It is the objective size and glass clarity.

Larger tube diameter scopes allow for more elevation adjustment in the turrets. That’s pretty much the only benefit. Just adds more glass and more weight.

Better glass in a 44 mm objective and better coatings on glass will make it far better than a cheaper 50mm objective.

I had a VX3 and wasn’t impressed by the glass, I mean it was good, but next to my other scopes I was meh. I didn’t keep it long enough to get any other opinion on durability. Here at Rokslide, Leupold isn’t a favored scope for durability/fragility. If you don’t mistreat it, it should be a good choice if you are set on one.

It’s hard to give a recommendation that is universally approved in that price range, IMO. Getting a good scope that dials repeatably and it suitably durable and robust with good glass is difficult. Every product has its weak points/features and failure rate, but, money buys lower rate of failure.

I will always give that caveat or hope you don’t have a problem. Do your best to pick one that is the best you can at your price point.

I don’t know of SFP scopes, but I would tell you to buy a gently used scope so that you stretch your money to the best scope. Reaching into the next “quality bracket” is more important than buying new, IMO. Buy from a reputable seller here on Rokslide and you won’t get a beat up scope instead of a gently used one. Ask for pictures and talk on the phone if you need. Worst case, maybe if it is a lemon you may have to send it in for repairs.

SWFA is the bombproof answer to your question with good glass and reliable dialing, but you will have to wait or buy used if they pop up.

What bullet and velocity are you shooting with your win mag?

I am shooting Hornady American whitetail (I know
Not the best ammunition, but I am only shooting whitetail. If I go for elk it will be someone better) 150 grain interlock SP. muzzle velocity is 3275 fps. I’m not dead set on either scope honestly, I just have never experienced any other brand to know what I am looking at. That’s one of the main reasons I came here. Thank you for that reply and description!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
My main goal in a scope is to be able to shoot near dark (not overly concerned with shooting 5 seconds before dark, if it’s too dim outside I’ll just go home) and still have enough light to make out what I am shooting. I plan to eventually go on an elk hunt or something similar where I may take a longer shot, say 4-500 yards. My current shooting distance for whitetail ranges between 50-200 yards, nothing fancy. I only need elevation adjustment due to the fact I don’t plan on adjusting for wind in any scenario I shoot. My biggest knock on the vortex is the massive turret on top, seems like it would get hit very easily. Leupold had the lower profile that I liked. However, I’m in no way branded to either of these so if anyone has any other recommendations for $500-$700 price range of a scope with 44mm min objective lens then I would love to hear it so I can read more into them! Thank you to everyone who has replied already, it helps a ton!

TreeDog

FNG
I would take a very hard look at the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42. A little over your price range, and just a touch below your desired objective size, but a significantly better scope than the ones you listed. Exposed elevation turret, capped windage, and illumination. Can be had in MOA or mils as well. I love mine.

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
I would take a very hard look at the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42. A little over your price range, and just a touch below your desired objective size, but a significantly better scope than the ones you listed. Exposed elevation turret, capped windage, and illumination. Can be had in MOA or mils as well. I love mine.

I am looking at this particular scope right now. If it is something I have to save a little more to buy so be it, that is fine too. I had the 40mm objective on it before and it was not a problem, I just wanted to go bigger. No particular reasoning on that though. I have never looked into anything from Trijicon so it will be a new learning experience for me but I am researching them right now.

My main goal in a scope is to be able to shoot near dark (not overly concerned with shooting 5 seconds before dark, if it’s too dim outside I’ll just go home) and still have enough light to make out what I am shooting. I plan to eventually go on an elk hunt or something similar where I may take a longer shot, say 4-500 yards. My current shooting distance for whitetail ranges between 50-200 yards, nothing fancy. I only need elevation adjustment due to the fact I don’t plan on adjusting for wind in any scenario I shoot. My biggest knock on the vortex is the massive turret on top, seems like it would get hit very easily. Leupold had the lower profile that I liked. However, I’m in no way branded to either of these so if anyone has any other recommendations for $500-$700 price range of a scope with 44mm min objective lens then I would love to hear it so I can read more into them! Thank you to everyone who has replied already, it helps a ton!

First and foremost, do you have somewhere to shoot 400-500 yards to practice? I would not attempt a shot like that unless you have done it before on a range. Speeds listed on factory box ammo aRE usually inflated 50-100 FPS and you need to know your capability and the rifle.

Taking the velocity off the ammo box, dialing the turret on a $300 scope and throwing a couple hail marys is not ethical IMO.

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
I agree. Yes I have several places on our farm to practice at that distance and shoot deer if the circumstance was right. However, I do agree with you. If I was going to shoot that far or planning to shoot that far I would buy better ammo and start out small and work my way towards that distance. With the American whitetail ammo I only need 300 yards max and 99% of the time it would be within 2-250 yards or less.

SDHNTR

WKR
Buying “better” ammo is mostly meaningless. Better doesn’t mean cheap vs expensive. Better means more accurate, end of story. That can often mean the cheap stuff shoots better than more expensive stuff and if that’s the case, that’s “better”. Shoot what the gun tells you is most accurate, not what you think is better or worse or what the price tag says.

And certainly check your drops and/or verify your true velocity if you plan on shooting past 300 yards, again, regardless of cheap vs expensive ammo.

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
Buying “better” ammo is mostly meaningless. Better doesn’t mean cheap vs expensive. Better means more accurate, end of story. That can often mean the cheap stuff shoots better than more expensive stuff and if that’s the case, that’s “better”. Shoot what the gun tells you is most accurate, not what you think is better or worse or what the price tag says.

And certainly check your drops and/or verify your true velocity if you plan on shooting past 300 yards, again, regardless of cheap vs expensive ammo.

Thank you! I’ve only ever shot this on target at 100 yards and even with the cheap vortex crossfire 2 I am grouping within a 1-1/2” circle no problem. Idk if y’all would consider this good but I’m perfectly happy with it. That does make sense about the ammo. I used to shoot federal fusion and would’ve put it against anything out there. I was very comfortable with that ammo but cannot get it now without auctioning off a kidney.

BLJ

WKR
My main goal in a scope is to be able to shoot near dark (not overly concerned with shooting 5 seconds before dark, if it’s too dim outside I’ll just go home) and still have enough light to make out what I am shooting.

If this is your main criteria I would look somewhere else besides the 2.5-15 Credo.
The one (yes a sample of one) I looked through in an end of the day low light situation was disappointing to me.
Very gray even on the lowest mag.
I preferred my 3-9 Credo by a mile.

I would recommend trying to look through as many as you can in similar conditions before you buy.

Once again a sampling of one and I believe that everyone’s eyes are different. IMO.

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
If this is your main criteria I would look somewhere else besides the 2.5-15 Credo.
The one (yes a sample of one) I looked through in an end of the day low light situation was disappointing to me.
Very gray even on the lowest mag.
I preferred my 3-9 Credo by a mile.

I would recommend trying to look through as many as you can in similar conditions before you buy.

Once again a sampling of one and I believe that everyone’s eyes are different. IMO.

I agree with that. I’ve only ever had redfield, bushnell and vortex really. Out of the 3 the vortex does best them out but it is also a 8-10 year newer scope as well. I’m definitely stepping back at this point and going to be going to more places and looking through several scopes

jimh406

WKR
I don't believe the 50mm is necessary. Have you considered a 5HD? The optical quality is quite a bit better although they do cost more. Also, you get a 5x multiplier which means you could have a 3-15. The 3x is probably significantly better than a 4.5 in thicker woods with greater field of view and brighter.

If you have a floating zero (as you call it). There might be something other than the scope going on like rings/mount/bedding, etc.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you want more light, AND a scope that works, get the 4-16x50 Credo HX.

Honestly tho, IMO, even the 2.5-15x42 Credo will be much better than anything you’ve had to date. Add in the illumination and you’ll be able to shoot deer into any shooting light situation that’s legal.

And I’d also counter that your “main goal” should be a scope that works as designed, tracks like it should, and holds zero reliably. Leupold and Vortex scopes don’t do that well.

intunegp

WKR
I don't believe the 50mm is necessary. Have you considered a 5HD? The optical quality is quite a bit better although they do cost more. Also, you get a 5x multiplier which means you could have a 3-15. The 3x is probably significantly better than a 4.5 in thicker woods with greater field of view and brighter.

If you have a floating zero (as you call it). There might be something other than the scope going on like rings/mount/bedding, etc.

Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL Field Evaluation

There might be, but Leupolds have been shown time and time again to lose zero from riding in a car.

jimh406

WKR
Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL Field Evaluation

There might be, but Leupolds have been shown time and time again to lose zero from riding in a car.

Lame to modify what I posted and attribute it to me. But, any way ...

Of course, we can believe what we want. As noted over and over, many people have no issues with their Leupolds. But, maybe all of those people are just lucky.