Leupold vx-3HD vs. Vortex Viper HSLR

intunegp

WKR
Lame to modify what I posted and attribute it to me. But, any way ...

Of course, we can believe what we want. As noted over and over, many people have no issues with their Leupolds. But, maybe all of those people are just lucky.

Lol I didn't modify what you posted, I quoted your entire previous post and highlighted the section I was responding to.

I don't think all those people you're referring to are lucky, I think they don't demand the same from their gear as others. I know plenty of guys that check zero shortly before hunting season and if they're within an inch or two of what they're aiming at they call it good. Those will be the only three rounds they fire until they repeat next season. Maybe that's all their gun is capable of or maybe that's all they are capable of as a shooter. Maybe they never shoot past 100 yards and a small shift here or there hasn't caused a miss yet.

It's really easy to assume your scope is fine and blame other things, but the testing doesn't lie. None of those people with the non-issue Leupolds are recreating the test or sending in their one in a million scope for the world to see so I'll stick with what is proven.

jimh406

WKR
Lol I didn't modify what you posted, I quoted your entire previous post and highlighted the section I was responding to.
I guess you don't understand the word modify.

The proper way to refer to what someone says is to include only that text. But, of course, what you highlighted is nothing specific to Leupold.

Last edited:

intunegp

WKR
I guess you don't understand the word modify.

The proper way to refer to what someone says is to include only that text. But, of course, what you highlighted is nothing specific to Leupold.

1. The implication of your use of modify is that I changed the meaning or intent of your words, which I did not. I guess you don't understand context.

2. Only including part of your post wouldn't have made it clear that the only scope you mentioned, and what we were talking about was Leupold scopes.

I didn't do anything to confuse the issue. Your responses make it seem like you have a safe full of Leupolds and don't want to hear it when someone points out their flaws.

BLJ

WKR
If you want more light, AND a scope that works, get the 4-16x50 Credo HX.

Honestly tho, IMO, even the 2.5-15x42 Credo will be much better than anything you’ve had to date. Add in the illumination and you’ll be able to shoot deer into any shooting light situation that’s legal.

And I’d also counter that your “main goal” should be a scope that works as designed, tracks like it should, and holds zero reliably. Leupold and Vortex scopes don’t do that well.
When I turned on the illumination in the one I looked through it actually made the image in the scope appear darker. Not sure why that’s the case.
Again, my eyes and a sample of one.

I guess I must not shoot enough for all my leupolds to be broken garbage like many on this forum say. Don’t get me started on the years I spent behind an actual sniper rifle with a Leupold on top pointing it at bad guys. I have a stack of them, and 4 NXS. One issue in years of use. The only Leupold I ever had problems with was a vx6 hd 3-18x44 that wasn’t tracking correctly. Went back to the factory and came back tracking in 1/4 moa like it should.

I have a vx3HD 3.5-10x40 fire dot on a Kimber subalpine 308. And dare I say I hunt with this gun as much if not more than most posting about how ever Leupold losing its zero from a car ride…. No issues… miraculous how mine rode from Tennessee to Colorado took multiple spills in the Rockies and never lost zero. Mine must be broken. Just like the 4.5-14 on my 30-06. The list goes on. 270wsm Sako with a vx2 4-12…. Zero issues. Crazy.

Of the two you listed I would lean towards a vx3 HD. Not too heavy(if that’s your thing).very good in low light. I’ve had bad experience with vortex but it’s a very small sample size, their range finders are great though. For doing a lot of dialing I would look else where but a 300win with a 4.5-14 vx3 hd with a bone and crocket reticle will kill a lot animals Way out there as well.

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
I guess I must not shoot enough for all my leupolds to be broken garbage like many on this forum say. Don’t get me started on the years I spent behind an actual sniper rifle with a Leupold on top pointing it at bad guys. I have a stack of them, and 4 NXS. One issue in years of use. The only Leupold I ever had problems with was a vx6 hd 3-18x44 that wasn’t tracking correctly. Went back to the factory and came back tracking in 1/4 moa like it should.

I have a vx3HD 3.5-10x40 fire dot on a Kimber subalpine 308. And dare I say I hunt with this gun as much if not more than most posting about how ever Leupold losing its zero from a car ride…. No issues… miraculous how mine rode from Tennessee to Colorado took multiple spills in the Rockies and never lost zero. Mine must be broken. Just like the 4.5-14 on my 30-06. The list goes on. 270wsm Sako with a vx2 4-12…. Zero issues. Crazy.

Of the two you listed I would lean towards a vx3 HD. Not too heavy(if that’s your thing).very good in low light. I’ve had bad experience with vortex but it’s a very small sample size, their range finders are great though. For doing a lot of dialing I would look else where but a 300win with a 4.5-14 vx3 hd with a bone and crocket reticle will kill a lot animals Way out there as well.

Thank you very much for this info! I would dare say that I would be dialing maybe 2-3 times a year and that’s being generous. I want the ability to be able to do so, I absolutely do not do it all the time. It’s time for me a new scope and I simply want to buy one that is a little better suited for what I want to do in the future. With that being said, all of the other scopes recommended above seem to be great options, they are just out of my price range at the given time. I do believe I have decided to stay away from vortex scopes for the time being as I like every other feature of the leupold better. I’m not knocking anyone’s bad experience with leupold or any other manufacturer, but I cannot believe they would be a top reputable scope manufacturer in their class if there was that many problems. However, with that being said, if there’s a bad one in the bunch my luck says I’m sure to get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
I don't believe the 50mm is necessary. Have you considered a 5HD? The optical quality is quite a bit better although they do cost more. Also, you get a 5x multiplier which means you could have a 3-15. The 3x is probably significantly better than a 4.5 in thicker woods with greater field of view and brighter.

If you have a floating zero (as you call it). There might be something other than the scope going on like rings/mount/bedding, etc.

I thought the same about the issue I was having, but it did end up being the scope. I sent it off for repair, but after nearly missing shots 2 years in a row at deer even after sighting in the week before deer season, I’ve lost a lot of faith in that scope. With the same rings and mounts I have a vortex crossfire two and grouped within 1-1.5” at 100 yards several times. It was most definitely the scope.

OP
D

dwov222

FNG
I'm trying to sell a mark 3 HD if you're interested.

I very well may be, can I ask the reason you’re selling please? Only reason I ask is it may be something I haven’t thought of yet.

I thought the same about the issue I was having, but it did end up being the scope. I sent it off for repair, but after nearly missing shots 2 years in a row at deer even after sighting in the week before deer season, I’ve lost a lot of faith in that scope. With the same rings and mounts I have a vortex crossfire two and grouped within 1-1.5” at 100 yards several times. It was most definitely the scope.

And this is the same issue you will have with any Leupold you purchase. They just don't work consistently as aiming devices. You MIGHT get a good one but I have never seen one, not ONE, of their variable power scopes actually work as it should. I'd love for Libtard to send one of his supposedly fine Leupolds in for testing (he won't...people that claim to never have an issue are the same ones that try to discredit the testing and refuse to send anything in). If you're on a budget and want a scope that actually works and will dial, look in the classifieds for a used SWFA 6x, 3-9x42, or 3-15x42. Those scopes generally work and dial fine. You really need to spend some time in the scope field evaluation forum and actually think about what a scope should do. You've had a bad experience and you are considering a scope that WILL cause you the same issues.

And this is the same issue you will have with any Leupold you purchase. They just don't work consistently as aiming devices. You MIGHT get a good one but I have never seen one, not ONE, of their variable power scopes actually work as it should. I'd love for Libtard to send one of his supposedly fine Leupolds in for testing (he won't...people that claim to never have an issue are the same ones that try to discredit the testing and refuse to send anything in). If you're on a budget and want a scope that actually works and will dial, look in the classifieds for a used SWFA 6x, 3-9x42, or 3-15x42. Those scopes generally work and dial fine. You really need to spend some time in the scope field evaluation forum and actually think about what a scope should do. You've had a bad experience and you are considering a scope that WILL cause you the same issues.
Hell of a claim bud. Spend a few years looking through a garbage Leupold that doesn’t work. Shoot a few bad guys maybe you’ll change your opinion a bit. Pulling a weapon system apart i during the middle of the season to send in for testing to random on the internet is a big ask.

Choupique

WKR
Yea it'll show up as a thread in the classifieds.

Just to be level with you, I took it off my .338 after reading all the leupold bashing on here and got concerned about durability. As far as I know I never had a problem with it. It's a 3-9x40, 30mm tube with mil dot reticle and zero stop elevation turret. I like the scope a lot, just don't have anything to put it on Or plans to get anything to put it on.

Hell of a claim bud. Spend a few years looking through a garbage Leupold that doesn’t work. Shoot a few bad guys maybe you’ll change your opinion a bit. Pulling a weapon system apart i during the middle of the season to send in for testing to random on the internet is a big ask.
After the season? Sounds like a good opportunity to silence the leupold deniers… especially if you could send in a few that all hold zero.

I want to see them hold zero, nice light scope with good glass and aesthetically pleasing, what’s not to like? I have just had terrible luck with them, I was a leupold guy from the beginning… I would be so happy if the vx3 line worked, it’s all I would ever shoot… glass is plenty good for me, pretty economical, lots of options and very lightweight… I wouldn’t buy anything else

I killed plenty of stuff with leupolds, but I was certainly re-zeroing often.

I do have a friend who is still a leupold fan, and he does shoot a lot of long range, and his one rifle kills between 5-10 critters a year and most are beyond 500yds and he has not had an issue with that scope, but I do think that the day is coming… hopefully I’m wrong

He just got a new big boomer with another leupold and is having problems with that rifle, but he said he thinks it’s a bad batch of primers, so I’m sure it’s not the scope 😂 maybe he’s right, but I have my doubts.

I have not personally owned a leupold that never needed messed with, my last one was horrible, and still is on a 17hmr

Last edited:
OP
D

dwov222

FNG
Yea it'll show up as a thread in the classifieds.

Just to be level with you, I took it off my .338 after reading all the leupold bashing on here and got concerned about durability. As far as I know I never had a problem with it. It's a 3-9x40, 30mm tube with mil dot reticle and zero stop elevation turret. I like the scope a lot, just don't have anything to put it on Or plans to get anything to put it on.

I gotcha! I think I’m going to look at the 4.5-14 first, but I’ll check it out if I don’t like the 50mm obj. Hope you sell it quick!

KenLee

WKR
My main goal in a scope is to be able to shoot near dark (not overly concerned with shooting 5 seconds before dark, if it’s too dim outside I’ll just go home) and still have enough light to make out what I am shooting. I plan to eventually go on an elk hunt or something similar where I may take a longer shot, say 4-500 yards. My current shooting distance for whitetail ranges between 50-200 yards, nothing fancy. I only need elevation adjustment due to the fact I don’t plan on adjusting for wind in any scenario I shoot. My biggest knock on the vortex is the massive turret on top, seems like it would get hit very easily. Leupold had the lower profile that I liked. However, I’m in no way branded to either of these so if anyone has any other recommendations for $500-$700 price range of a scope with 44mm min objective lens then I would love to hear it so I can read more into them! Thank you to everyone who has replied already, it helps a ton!

What's your legal shooting window?
30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset?