Leupold VX-5hd 3-15x44mm

barrister

WKR
I have 2 VX6 HDs and one VX5HD. My brother also has one on his primary western hunting rifle. We've both had great success with our scopes. No issues so far. The glass is tremendous to me. The custom turrets are great for shooting at game in real world situations.

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
No one can possibly know how badly I feel when I read seemingly endless postings about Leupold's Tactical scopes not functioning properly, as in not dialing and then returning to zero or failing to maintain and losing zero.
I have owned Leupold scopes and binoculars for over 30 years now. But I have no experience with a Leupold scope any newer than 20 years old. None are of a tactical design and all are long discontinued set-and-forget VariX-II's, VariX-III's and VX-III's. All sit atop very harsh recoiling rifles and all have seen countless 1000s of rounds of 12ga magnum slugs, turkey loads, 300wm, 300wsm, 7mmstw, smokeless MLs, and magnum charges of BP sub in my other inlines.
I wish it were not true but my personal experience with my Leupolds when having to re-zero them after a rifle of shotgun change is not a positive as when I take one of my WGS's or Bushnell Elite 4200's and 3200's and put them on a new long gun and have to re-zero. I always attributed it to the fact my VariX-II's adjusted in 1.5 MOA but my VariX-III's and VX-III's are in 1/4 MOA.

Yes I get the Leupolds set to zero every time but their adjustments aren't as fine and concise as my WGS's or 4200's, and often need extra rounds to get my POI and POA the same. Don't have that issue with my WGS or 4200. Knock on wood, never had any of my Leupolds loose zero, but never had any of my WGS's or 4200's or 3200's ever loose or change zero of any significant amount.
Never had any of my Leopold's fail me in any way but neither have any of my WGS's, 4200's or 3200's.

Now that I am getting into longer range shooting, I sadly doubt I will be investing in a VX5 or VX6 only because far to many other scopes in the same price range have not been subjected to even 1/5th as much bad press as Leupold has.

I have been researching tactical scopes for long range hunting and shooting for almost 2 years and no other popular scope brand has come close to the amount of bad press for their tactical type hunting and shooting scopes than Leupold. I have even made a few threads asking is this warranted and deserved or not.
Surprisingly I have seen a very large amount of bad press about their tactical scopes has been Vortex of their Viper and Diamond back lines.

Last edited:
I own a vx6 hd and a mark5 hd.
I am very happy with the glass quality and rtz on my two scopes. I use these scopes past 1000yd and I have taken many game animals with them. I have not had any issues with these scopes thus far.

Antares

WKR
I have a VX3i 2.5-8x36, VX3i 4.5-14x40, and VX5-HD 3-15x44. I've never had an issue with any of them. That said, I'm not shooting them daily, I don't shoot PRS or anything like that, so I don't really know how they'd hold up under that kind of use.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Once you start owning non-Leupold, you stop buying Leupold.

The LRHS was the scope that made me realize how poor Leupold was as an aiming device.