Leupold vx3hd 4.5-14 failure

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Moose hunting day. There was a little precipitation but we see a bull so I take my scope covers off. After 15 minutes the bull comes out of the brush and gives us a broadside shot. I put my rifle up and look through my scope. Everything was super blurry and the bull blended into the bank because both were brown. Luckily I was only a backup and my gf knocked the moose down but I am definitely calling leupold to get the scope replaced or just tossing it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uthuntr

FNG
That coulda been a nightmare. Glad it ended up well. I definitely wouldn't toss it, some turrets and adjustments could just have been out of sorts. I'm assuming you checked everything before and after so it might just be an issue with that copy. But there is no reason not to utilize the warranty and save the scope either way.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Disappointing. How old is your scope? First time using it? I have the same one, as well as an old 3-9x40 and never had issues.

KenLee

WKR
Had a new employee of local gunshop try to sell me that exact scope in 50mm Thursday. He handed it to me and asked if I'd ever looked through a scope that clear.
Owner looked over and said "boy you're barking up the wrong tree".

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
That coulda been a nightmare. Glad it ended up well. I definitely wouldn't toss it, some turrets and adjustments could just have been out of sorts. I'm assuming you checked everything before and after so it might just be an issue with that copy. But there is no reason not to utilize the warranty and save the scope either way.

The only thing I can see is this. Might not buy anymore leupolds after this
808fe00b43ed7dbd119a797564eba5cc.jpg

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Disappointing. How old is your scope? First time using it? I have the same one, as well as an old 3-9x40 and never had issues.

It is 2 years old. In the sun it works fine.

1) Get it fixed, or be provided a new replacement.
2) Sell that thing

I agree with doing both

How long have you been shooting with this particular scope.

Two years but mostly in the safe. Taken out maybe 10 times

Had a new employee of local gunshop try to sell me that exact scope in 50mm Thursday. He handed it to me and asked if I'd ever looked through a scope that clear.
Owner looked over and said "boy you're barking up the wrong tree".

I thought it was a decent scope

I wanted to say I read a warning somewhere if you unscrew it too far and pop the seal you lose the gasses, but I looked at the manual online just now and it says it's got an internal stopper. That looks extreme though, wondering if it's not related or maybe the lock ring failed and leaked the gasses out. I can't imagine it'd be in any kind of focus being that far out either way.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Never seen an eyepiece unscrewed that far.

It wasn’t that far. I screwed out back farther to get a picture. It was to the top of it

Why did you have it screwed out that far?

^

I wanted to say I read a warning somewhere if you unscrew it too far and pop the seal you lose the gasses, but I looked at the manual online just now and it says it's got an internal stopper. That looks extreme though, wondering if it's not related or maybe the lock ring failed and leaked the gasses out. I can't imagine it'd be in any kind of focus being that far out either way.

When its not raining it’s in focus

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t think I’ve ever touched my eyepiece after I’ve gotten my scope mounted. Only thing I ever have to do to mine is turn the magnification ring. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
So like it's fogged up with moisture/condensation?

It was completely fogged up and blurry.

I don’t think I’ve ever touched my eyepiece after I’ve gotten my scope mounted. Only thing I ever have to do to mine is turn the magnification ring.

I checked everything around the scope and unscrewed that eye and saw the hole so thats why it was unscrewed so far. I took a picture of it like that