Leupold VX3HD on Tikka T3x Roughtech

jwo

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a Tikka T3x Roughtech on the way to my local FFL and after watching reviews and reading the forums, I'm planning on going with a Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14 for the glass. I live in Idaho, so I went with a 7mm Rem Mag to serve as an all-around big game hunting rig.

My question is: If I go with Sportsmatch TO48 rings, will I be able to fit a 50mm objective bell, or should I stick with the 40mm?

bhylton

WKR
my only comment is that my older vx-III 4.5-14x40mm is more than adequate glass wise. i would never consider going to a bigger objective

I have a Tikka T3x Roughtech on the way to my local FFL and after watching reviews and reading the forums, I'm planning on going with a Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14 for the glass. I live in Idaho, so I went with a 7mm Rem Mag to serve as an all-around big game hunting rig.

My question is: If I go with Sportsmatch TO48 rings, will I be able to fit a 50mm objective bell, or should I stick with the 40mm?
IME, you'll want to stick with the 40mm to keep the scope low. I have a 42mm NF on a Tikka and it just clears the objective with the low rings. Likewise with SWFA 3-9x42mm's. As stated in another response, I ran a lot of 40mm Leupolds through the years and never 1 time wished for a bigger objective. However, I did wish for more reliability and better tracking with the Gold Rings, and based on these poor experiences, I would give a serious look to some other alternatives.

OP
jwo

jwo

FNG
Classified Approved
IME, you'll want to stick with the 40mm to keep the scope low. I have a 42mm NF on a Tikka and it just clears the objective with the low rings. Likewise with SWFA 3-9x42mm's. As stated in another response, I ran a lot of 40mm Leupolds through the years and never 1 time wished for a bigger objective. However, I did wish for more reliability and better tracking with the Gold Rings, and based on these poor experiences, I would give a serious look to some other alternatives.
I've read that elsewhere on the forum, unfortunately. I'm now exploring options from Vortex.

slatty

WKR
I have a T3 superlite with low talley rings and a 40mm VX3HD. Not a lot of room left there for a bigger objective. Can't comment on the scope because I just put it on and i'm itching to sight it in!

I've read that elsewhere on the forum, unfortunately. I'm now exploring options from Vortex.

Unless you move into the Japan built Vortex, I'd keep looking.

You'd have a hard time going wrong with the 3-9 SWFA HD. If you like SFP, MOA and capped turrets, the NF SHV 3-10's have given me a lot of good service, and we've dialed on them a lot.

I'd stick with the Sportsmatch Rings over the Talley LW. They've proven to be much tougher, and their attachment to the Tikka rail is a stronger set up than screwing into the action top.

OP
jwo

jwo

FNG
Classified Approved
Unless you move into the Japan built Vortex, I'd keep looking.

You'd have a hard time going wrong with the 3-9 SWFA HD. If you like SFP, MOA and capped turrets, the NF SHV 3-10's have given me a lot of good service, and we've dialed on them a lot.

I'd stick with the Sportsmatch Rings over the Talley LW. They've proven to be much tougher, and their attachment to the Tikka rail is a stronger set up than screwing into the action top.
I'd prefer a FFP, mil reticle with capped or locking turrets. Does such a scope exist that's worth a look for sub-$1000?

I'd prefer a FFP, mil reticle with capped or locking turrets. Does such a scope exist that's worth a look for sub-$1000?
If you don't mind going Chi Com, guys seem to have good things to say about the Athlon Helos BTR gen 2, 2-12. I like a lot of things about it, but I don't care to consciously support China when there's a choice. Since it's a unique offering in the product space, it might fall into the "when there's not a choice" exemption for buying from red China for me; still mulling it over. Even if I don't buy one, still hoping they're successful so other companies will come out with comparable versions.

Tract has a couple new FFP models with locking turrets out, but, IMO, the reticle doesn't seem well suited to big game hunting. And they are getting weighty at 28 ounces.

Vortex has the LHT, with locking turrets, but the smaller models are SFP and they haven't faired so well for some. Others have good reports. A bigger LHT model can be had with FFP, but the reticle leaves a lot to be desired on low end, IMO. I like FFP's that are usable throughout the X range.

The Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 can still be had through GA precision for around 1k. I have several of these in 3-12 and 4.5-18. They've proven to be very reliable and rugged. I very much like the G2H reticle for hunting. Usable throughout the X range without the added weight or additional componentry of an illumination system. I prefer the 3-12 but they're not too easy to come by these days. Elevation turret doesn't lock, but it is zero stopped and I never really have too much trouble with ghost turning. You also get 10 mil per rev.

Otherwise the SWFA 3-9 is about as good as it gets for a good hunting FFP reticle and exceedingly reliable dialing for under 1k. Like a lot of folks, I'd rather they capped windage and offered a locking low pro elevation turret, but you can easily rubber cap the windage and zero shim the elevation to give it a stop and move on with life. Their 6x is a great dialing scope as well and can be had for $300 when in stock.

IME, the smaller NF's are a good option for big game scopes. I have several and they've all been top notch in reliability and tracking. They are only offered SFP, but I can live with a SFP that tops out at 10x. You have to move up to the NXS line to get a mil/mil based system, as the 3-10 SHV is only offered in MOA.

There are likely other good options out there as well, but these are the models under 1k with which I have direct experience or of which I'm aware.

Reactions: jwo