Lids. WTF

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Alright I've finally worked up the courage to ask: WTF is the deal with pack lids?

What are they for? How do you properly use them? What are best practices?

To date, they have been a floppy, strappy, collector-of-random-stuff annoyance. Generally to be taken off unless you're doing a giant multi-day pack and run out of space. What am I doing wrong?

EdP

WKR
I like to put stuff between the lid and main pack. It may be a jacket or my sleeping pad. What I would really like is for the lid to convert to a lumbar pack. It could also make a decent rear bag for shooting if it came off easier.

I use mine for ifak, motrin, firestarter, spare headlamp, battery bank. If I kill and have to make another trip, my bag (exo 4800) remains at truck and load hauler, lid, and water bladder stay attached for subsequent trips.

woods89

WKR
My current pack (SO Lanner) is built to use without a lid. I don't miss lids at all. It does have a shroud pocket that let's you store a few items on the top side.

I use it for the easy access stuff. I have having to get in the main bag for stuff I want quickly. So unless the bag has the option grab stuff fast I use the lid for stuff like that. Food. Flashlight. Knives. Keys. Phone. A quick place to throw a hat and gloves. Stuff like that.

P Carter

WKR
Agree - I don't use detachable lids, as a rule. If I'm packing in to a base camp, sometimes I'll take the exo blaze orange lid to keep some items in camp and to secure the antlers on a packout. My other day pack has an attached lid with a small zip pocket; that prevents flopping and it has just enough room for keys, license/tags, and headlamp.

Poser

WKR
I used them for a long time and was always a bit annoyed. I would keep my first aid kit, SpotX and water filter in there.

I got a SG 4800 bag at the beginning of the summer and it doesn’t have a lid option. I do like it better, though my larger SG bag does have one. Only thought that has occurred to me is dealing with a bear head on a pack out and, along those same lines, an elk or deer skull since the kid acts as a great compression strap to hold such an item in place on top of your bag.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I won’t use a pack without a lid. My lid doesn’t have pockets. It makes for a tighter pack and cleaner look for me. Also offers more carry options for me, as well.

nobody

WKR
I tend to agree with the OP. I have a Stone Glacier Sky 5900, had an Evo 40/56 before. I just never even use the lids with my packs. It's a cleaner setup without, and less floppy and obnoxious. On long trips I could see where they'd have a purpose, but for weekend warrior stuff or day trips my lid just stays at home. The key is buying a bag with enough capacity that you don't need the 500 cubic inches for anything

Loo.wii

WKR
My lid doubles as a small pack. I've used it when I leave my pack at camp or I just need too make a quick hike to get a trail cam or something. usually I keep the days food and my kitchen in there.

So I have really only used the exo lid and really like that I can make it not floppy. I have a Kifaru hoodlum and it doesn’t have a lid and I wouldn’t want to put a true Kifaru lid they sell for it. The guide kid or the organizer one the have seen to be awkward fitting for me. I tried a pocket for a bit on the molle spot that can act as a kid and it just felt floppy. So for the hoodlum I would run no lid. But the exo I for sure would run a lid.

Drenalin

WKR
If I’ve got camp in the pack, I’ll keep a rain jacket, beanie, gloves, and water filter in the lid so I don’t need to fish around for them.

DanimalW

WKR
Also took mine off my SG 5900 right away. It’s brand new. I know some people like lids that hold a bladder though.

Loper

WKR
The lid on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf is the worst. I wouldn’t even call it a lid as it doesn’t stay on top of the bag, it slides down onto the back of the pack. I quickly sold the one I had to a friend and the lid was one of the reasons why.

Warmsy

WKR
Like others above, I use the lid when packing camp in my back. Keep water filter, headlamp, book, other items I want to have handy without digging through the pack. In daypack mode the lid stays at home. Found a bunch of elk sheds a few years ago and secured them between lid and pack.