Lids. WTF

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
The lid on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf is the worst. I wouldn’t even call it a lid as it doesn’t stay on top of the bag, it slides down onto the back of the pack. I quickly sold the one I had to a friend and the lid was one of the reasons why.
This was my opinion as well. It seemed no matter how much gear you had in the main duffle, that lid was always flopping all over.

I will say the lid on my K4 seems much more secure. Even with the 7200 bag barely 1/4 full that lid stays in place way better than the MR.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 lids... That rarely see use. I found an assortment of belt pouches placed on the outside of my pack will cover what I used a lid for, quick easy access to some specific items.

TheTone

WKR
I use a lid probably 50% of the time. Great place for overflow small stuff if I’m packed full, if I need to clear space in the main bag or a place for things I want quick and easy like snacks or a headlamp

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Kifaru lid on a mystery ranch selway 60. I hammock camp in september and my tarp, hammock and stakes fit in my lid so only food and quilt/ under quilt go in the bag. It really organizes everything so Im not digging for stuff when setting up camp after dark.

R_A_W

FNG
The lid on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf is the worst. I wouldn’t even call it a lid as it doesn’t stay on top of the bag, it slides down onto the back of the pack. I quickly sold the one I had to a friend and the lid was one of the reasons why.

YES

I have a Mystery Ranch Stein 62 (discontinued) that was designed with a lid that clips on at 4 points. Unfortunately, the lid works itself loose within a mile & then flops around until it loosens enough to just slide off to one side. I've even emailed Mystery Ranch about it, but of course they've "nEvEr HeArD oF tHaT pRoBlEm."

Electrical tape does help hold the buckles in place temporarily, but that's a half-assed solution IMO. Tighter buckles night fix the issue, but I moved on. I dislike the lid enough that I won't go backpacking with that pack.

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I like to put stuff between the lid and main pack. It may be a jacket or my sleeping pad. What I would really like is for the lid to convert to a lumbar pack. It could also make a decent rear bag for shooting if it came off easier.

Stealing this. I’ve been putting my tent or jacket compression sacks in the bottom straps, but this makes way more sense. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I kinda like my Kifaru lid for quick access stuff. I keep my headlamp, jet boil, food for the day, gloves, beanie, etc. The small kinds of stuff that can be difficult to locate in main bag if not in some kind of organizer pouch or something.

BDRam16

WKR
Another vote for the Metcalf lid isn’t a lid. The one they have on the 2023 Popup 40 looks awesome though. I want to see if they’ll sell it separately if it fits the Metcalf.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my beanie, headlamp, med kit, Inreach, and food for the day in mine. It’s easy access and doesn’t flop around.

I use it for the easy access stuff. I have having to get in the main bag for stuff I want quickly. So unless the bag has the option grab stuff fast I use the lid for stuff like that. Food. Flashlight. Knives. Keys. Phone. A quick place to throw a hat and gloves. Stuff like that.
yep this, easy access to stuff i will definitely need

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m right there with most of you! Not a fan of the lid on my pop up 38. It, for the most part just doesn’t ever sit right. Love the pack other than that.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing most people fall more into one of two categories. Those who compartmentalize everything, every item has a spot. The other is those who fit things where they fit best. I'm guessing those who like lids are more the first category. Myself, I prefer one big open bag, I'll stuff it as I see fit.

MattB

WKR
I'm guessing most people fall more into one of two categories. Those who compartmentalize everything, every item has a spot. The other is those who fit things where they fit best. I'm guessing those who like lids are more the first category. Myself, I prefer one big open bag, I'll stuff it as I see fit.
I agree. When I use a larger bag, I use the lid for my possibles pouch/kill kit and a number of other small and frequently accessed items. Doesn’t matter which bag I use, the stuff I often need is in that pouch and it is in the lid.

My main bag is for clothing, sleeping/camp gear, and food/cooking gear.

Always have a lid on my pack. Quick grab items I don’t want lost in the pack. Can’t imagine leaving home without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHL

FNG
How are the new Eberlestock Mod Lids? I was thinking if one would fit my Mystery Ranch Sawtooth.

Like others, easy access items. I only use them on rifle hunts. Archery, I don’t want anything sticking up and hanging up in the brush

I don’t load my lid heavy, and exo lids are well designed, so they are useful storage to me

All depends on the style of hunting I’m doing at the time, but lids do have a place. Also like them for securing extra clothes between lid and bag

87TT

WKR
I always use my lids. I have two Exo packs, both K2. One has abK3 lid the other a K2. That’s where lunch and snacks go. Ialso as said, put my clothing layers under the lid as needed. Always a jacket or hoody until needed, then long sleeve layers and zip of thermals. With the Exo you can cinch it down snug and kind of wraps around and keeps them secure. A quick stop for a snack or meal, and I don’t have to dig in the main pack or loosen any straps. Belt pouches hold the small stuff used frequently.