Light weight fixed blade knife

OP
pyroducksx3
I'm interested in those bark river knives. I realize his company is in Michigan but are his knives made I the USA?

How many elk have you deboned/broken down with that knife?

I've processed 32 deer with it and its still going strong. Used the piranta on a deer and didn't like it. Some people like them, just not for me. And I know a deer isn't an elk. But they all break down the same. Some of the parts are just bigger.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've processed 32 deer with it and its still going strong. Used the piranta on a deer and didn't like it. Some people like them, just not for me. And I know a deer isn't an elk. But they all break down the same. Some of the parts are just bigger.

Gotcha.....

I only asked because a friend of mine had the same idea (with the same knife), but complained about the steel.

OP
pyroducksx3
I narrowed it to three choices
First choice is the izula in venow green(found it in orange as well for onlu 10$ more than the lone wolf), second bark necker river in yellow and third the lone wolf hardway any thoughts?

Attachments

• izula venom.jpg
    izula venom.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Bravo_Necker_Em_Yellow.jpg
    Bravo_Necker_Em_Yellow.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 110
  • lonewolf.jpg
    lonewolf.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Wrongside

WKR
I narrowed it to three choices
First choice is the izula in venow green(found it in orange as well for onlu 10$ more than the lone wolf), second bark necker river in yellow and third the lone wolf hardway any thoughts?

All good quality choices, if you want a neck knife style knife IMO, pyro. I wouldn't worry about the colour as much as the steel and grab a BRKT Bravo Necker 3V in whatever colour is available. It is worth the extra over standard steels, again IMO. I have one from the first run they did and it is part of the reason I've become a big, big fan of 3V.

Good luck choosing!

OP
pyroducksx3
The color is just so it's easy to find when I set it down. I have been deboing deer and then had to look for the knife. Ill check out the bkrt. I have a piranta but want something to back it up in case it breaks or popping the back quarters

OP
pyroducksx3
oh the brkt is the bark river knife, haha (BRKT bark river kines and tools). I agree with the guys that said the 3v steel is going to be better but this started out looking at the buck paklite for 28$ to lighten up my kit a little and for the little investment the 3+ oz saved would be worth it. but looking at those 3v blades at 100$ it just starts to lose the weight to dollars benifit. Im going to stick to the 40$ knives to shave the weight and not get to crazy. Tough choices but I'm really leaning towards the izula in orange for 38$. Is the convex ground blade of the BRKT any different to sharpen?

Wrongside

WKR
Yes it is! LoL! The Bark River convex edge does require different techniques and tools, but is very easy to get used too. One good thing about the convex edge is how easy it touches up in the field, if needed. All you need is the inside of a belt or, in my case, a small piece of leather pre-charged with stropping compound.

The ESEE knives are great knives, especially for the price. Not a bad choice at all.

cmeier117

WKR
I have an ESEE Izula, didn't get a chance to use it this last year, but all my ESEE knives in the past have served me well.

Moe.JKU

FNG
With those buck packlite knives, they worked good. However they get very slippery when they are all bloodied up as the handles have no grip. Deer it seems fine but if you get into bears it becomes a chore.

Lawnboi

WKR
Im eyeing up that benchmade lone wolf, hard way caper. Not the skinner.

A little smaller of a knife, under 2 oz though. And it looks like it would get the job done. Some paracord around the handle and it looks like it would be a good camp knife as well.

And surprisingly its only 27 bucks on gpi

OP
pyroducksx3
I went with the izula knife. I want to see how I like this size knife. If it works out well in a couple years I might step up to the BRKT 3v steel knife. The reasons I went with the izula compared to the BRKT were cost, the micarta handles are 15$ for the esee izula vs 45$+ for just the micarta handle for the BRKT and of corse the cost of the knife itself. Compared to the lonewolf I think the blade is probably better and I liked the fact that it came with a kydex sheath compared to the nylon one the lonewolf comes with. I feel I can mount it on my pack better with the kydex if I so choose. Also I perfer the bright color as I tend to set knives down without looking when Im breaking down animals and the black would be harder to find.

Mckinnon

WKR
I know I am late to this thread, but I really like my Knives of Alaska Cub Bear. I really like the shape and size of the knife (Small, easily maneuvered). Broke down a deer with it this year and really liked it. Steel seems good so far as well....

mtnkid85

WKR
Keep us updated on how the size of the izula works for you after using it a bit.
Ive almost ordered that knife several times for much the same reasons, im kind of afraid its just too small though.