lighter, matches, and/or flint/steel?

jm1607

WKR
Whenever I see gear lists they vary so much in the firestarting tools brought along..

I know in general you want to take 2-3 different devices to start a fire, 1 primary and a backup or 2..

I'm planning on bringing 2 bic mini's on my 6-day early elk hunt this year..

It looks like most people bring a bic and either matches or a flint/steel or both..

Are there any advantages of matches over a 2nd bic? I would think they would both have about the same cons (finite, not good in wind, not good when wet, etc)

Two Bics minis for me. I am above tree line in most cases so starting wood on fire isn't a prime requirement. Lighting the MSR Pocket Rocket and one in my first aid kit as a backup are the main uses.

mtnkid85

WKR
I always have a bic in my chest pocket and another bic along with a magnesium block/flint in my bag. I can't remember the last time I used or even carried matches.

I have all of them and a candle. Bic lighter , faro rod, matches stuffed in my med kit, small partial Candle stick as well. Very little weight and great PC of mind. I try to practice primitive starting every trip, its not easy.

rayporter

WKR
tinder is also very important.

i make coffee for lunch everyday with fire, no matter the weather. fuel bars or esbit will make you pretty confident that you can make fire.
i carry 2 bics and matches encased in wax. FYI- a fero rod will light trioxane but will not light esbit.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Bic lighter (or two) and a ferro rod for me, in addition to various tinders. Flint and Steel is just for when I'm messing around camping and want to play a bit (same of like the bow drill).

jfenske46

FNG
I like a lighter,waterproof matches and a flint and steel. I also carry a couple wetfires and my favorite, a small tube of contact cement. Very flammable with a small amount ime. Much better than the messy cotton balls and Vaseline.

Normally having three ways to start fire is in case one method does not work due to environmental reasons like wind or wet or its so cold you have to wear gloves. Sooo, I would not take two bic lighters but one bic and one or two of another kind (matches, zippo lighter, ferro rod and striker, battery and steel wool). Also bring three different kinds of fire starters.

xziang

WKR
I tend to have two lighters handy, and water proof matches with first aid kit and candle. I also have some cotton balls rolled in Vaseline stuffed into an old light weight aluminum container.