Narrow Down RS Approved Scopes

H80Hunter

WKR
I’m ready to pick up a scope for a Tikka 6.5 PRC in a KRG Bravo stock. I’m down to 3 @Formidilosus approved scopes and need help with the final call. For reference, I have an Sig Cross in 6.5 CM that I have an SHV 3-10x42 on. It’s pretty new to me but the gun shoots great. This is my set and forget, hopefully bombproof deer rifle say 0-300 yards for hunting. However I have used the MOAR reticle to ring steel at 550.

The new PRC is hopefully my 0-500 yard elk rifle. It shoots good enough to be worthy of a new scope. And I know the CM will kill elk too, but I already have the rifle, and it shoots. It’s not a “range gun”, it will be a “killing stuff” gun. I already have UM rings backordered for it. Both guns shoot great with the 147 ELDMs.

1) SHV 3-10x42 — I think this would be plenty out to 500 as I’ve already used the short barrel creedmoor to make hits at this range with this scope. Also would double as a “backup” to my primary gun and I’d be very familiar with the reticle.

2) SHV F1 4-14x50 — I’ve handled these and the FFP reticle looks workable at 4x especially with the illumination. But in my mind FFP isn’t super ideal or necessary in this application. Also, this is a longer range more open country rifle or else I’d just have the Cross/SHV combo. So I wouldn’t be sitting in a WI stand expecting a quick offhand shot at 4x with this rifle, and I’m sure it would be OK anyway.

3) Credo HX 2.5-15x42 — I’m not familiar with this one beyond what I’ve read. However, it’s cheaper than the SHV F1 and comparable cost to the 3-10 but with more features. This is the direction I’m leaning to save a little money. Would be the MOA center dot reticle. I have a few concerns it would be a little faint? In my mind this gives me some room to dial, but still some lower zoom and SFP hunting reticle. Also the max zoom isn’t like 24x which I wouldn’t want for a SFP hunting scope.

Anything I’m missing?

Last edited:
3x15 (25oz) or 3x9 (20oz) swfa but if you said ffp wasn't super ideal then maybe not. The 3x9 is hard to get The 50mm nightforce I believe is 30 oz, heavier than the other two. If you already had one shv maybe try the credo. I have 2 of the tenmiles they are nice. 15power isn't necessary out to 500 but it is nice if you ever want to stretch things out.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
I’ve shied away from the SWFA just because they are impossible to find, and I’ve always been an MOA guy and the ones you can find are mils.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Another thing reading more on these. I’m not sure the FFP reticle of the F1 would be worse than the Credo reticle in the woods. It seems like the Credo reticle is pretty faint. If the reticle was a draw, the FFP MOAR reticle is more appealing.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Seems like I’m shouting into the void but can anyone compare the FFP NF at 4x vs the Trijicon Center dot at low power?

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Not a bad idea. I’ve seen the nightforces but not the trijicons.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Just want to bump this one more time for any feedback on the SHV F1 4-14 compared to the Credo HX 2-15

I hear people say the reticle on the Credo is faint, all the time. I talked my brother into ordering one for a new Tikka he got and once I looked through it I dont know where the complaint comes from. Its totally usable on 2.5 to my eyes. I really like that scope. I have even kicked around selling my SHV 5-20 and replacing it with the Credo, just cause I like the lower end magnification on the Credo and dont need 20 at the top end.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Another reason I’m leaning toward the credo is it feels like a toss up, it will be plenty for my use, has nice features for the money and it’s several hundred dollars cheaper than any NF option except the 3-10 SHV. I’m not an every year elk hunter so do I need a NF for a gun that will spend 99% of its life in a safe or a Wisconsin treestand? I do have an SHV on my whitetail rifle.

Last edited:

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with the 4-16x50 Credo?
I have and have hunted with both the 4-16x50 and the 2.5-15x42. I honestly prefer the 4-16x50, it has a better eyebox and is quite a bit easier to get behind at full mag than the 2.15-15. It is a bit bigger though if that matters to you. Reticle on both Credo HS is excellent, love the floating dot and hash marks, great for wind and hold over if needed. FWIW I have had an SHV 3-10 too and the reticle on the Nightforce was a bit finer. I'd say if you plan to just use the reticle and not dial then the 10x Nightforce may be better. However if you want to dial elevation the exposed elevation dial on the Trijicon is much better, has zero stop and illumination. Overall I felt for my needs with Trjicon had better features, more visible reticle, better glass and was better for my needs,