Lightest production Grendel AR rifle

So looking for a new "lots and lots of walking, little shooting" AR rifle. Not interested in doing a build at this point. Just looking for suggestions of builders of the lightest complete, reliable, and at minimum hunting accuracy 6.5 Grendel rifles (can be custom builds but want someone who has been around/will be around and stands behind their work). Any suggestions, experiences, and approximate weights if you have them.
Thanks!!

**Would consider a bolt gun too but like a semi auto for coyotes and pigs. So, primarily looking at the AR platform at this point.**

OP
S
Larue?

No clue on weight, their CS is great and will likely have that data if you call.
Thanks for the reply! I had looked at that one. I like it and no doubt it'd be a good one for sure. Problem is I found the weight on it and it's just over 7.5lbs. That's where I'm at on my current bare rifle. So wouldn't be gaining anything. Was hoping to be able to shave a 1lb or more off. Figured someone is making one just have no clue who that might be. Then again maybe they aren't for a reason. Thanks again

ElPollo

WKR
Dunno if you’ve looked at the “223 for deer, bear elk and moose” thread, but you might want to before heading down the 6.5 Grendel path. If your state allows 22 centerfires for big game, a 223/5.56 with the right bullets (TMK, ELDM, Gold Dot, and Fusion) will do the job as well or better than the Grendel with less recoil, flatter trajectory, and cheaper and more available ammo. And the issue of finding a lightweight carbine also becomes significantly easier. I built one a few years ago from parts that is 5.2# without optics. It should be pretty easy to get lighter than that without too much expense these days.

OP
S
Dunno if you’ve looked at the “223 for deer, bear elk and moose” thread, but you might want to before heading down the 6.5 Grendel path. If your state allows 22 centerfires for big game, a 223/5.56 with the right bullets (TMK, ELDM, Gold Dot, and Fusion) will do the job as well or better than the Grendel with less recoil, flatter trajectory, and cheaper and more available ammo. And the issue of finding a lightweight carbine also becomes significantly easier. I built one a few years ago from parts that is 5.2# without optics. It should be pretty easy to get lighter than that without too much expense these days.
Thanks for the info. I had not, but I'll give it a look. I'm already into the grendel game and like it. Based on the experience with the guys I predator hunt with using 223s there are a lot more follow-up shots taken to drop a coyote on average. (Of course a well placed shot is a well placed shot-just know on the runners, seems there's less need for follow-up shots out of the grendel. But one man's experience, is just that, one man's experience. Appreciate your comment and I'll give it a look). No doubt there are lots of round options now days and production ammo is way easier to find in 223. I reload my own so it's not as big of an issue at this point, but something to keep in mind.
Thank you

Have you looked at grendelhunter.com?
They have some nice looking stuff. I've order parts through them and customer service is good. They don't have weight specs but I'm sure you could call and talk to them.
I wish I would have found them before I did my grendel build. I did a Sanderson armory upper, it's a 16" fluted medium heavy barrel. Not sure on the weight but it's definitely under 8lbs with scope and mount. 20221125_215855.jpg

KenLee

WKR
What twist do you need to stabilize 77 gr TMK?

OP
S
Have you looked at grendelhunter.com?
They have some nice looking stuff. I've order parts through them and customer service is good. They don't have weight specs but I'm sure you could call and talk to them.
I wish I would have found them before I did my grendel build. I did a Sanderson armory upper, it's a 16" fluted medium heavy barrel. Not sure on the weight but it's definitely under 8lbs with scope and mount. View attachment 516872
I have looked at them some, need to explore them a little more and get weights. My current set up is 7.5lbs bare rifle. Was hoping to shave another lb + off.

KenLee

WKR
Thanks for the info. I had not, but I'll give it a look. I'm already into the grendel game and like it. Based on the experience with the guys I predator hunt with using 223s there are a lot more follow-up shots taken to drop a coyote on average. (Of course a well placed shot is a well placed shot-just know on the runners, seems there's less need for follow-up shots out of the grendel. But one man's experience, is just that, one man's experience. Appreciate your comment and I'll give it a look). No doubt there are lots of round options now days and production ammo is way easier to find in 223. I reload my own so it's not as big of an issue at this point, but something to keep in mind.
Thank you
I normally don't waste a 2nd bullet on a yote, but don't sell the hides either

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Mark at Precision Firearms. He's a Tier One custom rifle shop that has been specializing in Grendels since the beginning. At this point I'd trust his opinion on a Grendel rifle over ol' Bill Alexander. He's mostly benchrest, heavy rifles, but will build whatever you want. Just tell him what you want and he'll get you set up. If you want something a little cheaper and quicker, I'd go to Alexander Arms. They're the company that originally developed the 6.5 Grendel. They probably have something off the shelf that would work for you.

What ranges are you shooting at and what game are you after?

OP
S
I normally don't waste a 2nd bullet on a yote, but don't sell the hides either
Coyote comps where numbers count towards $$$$ so follow ups are common if they don't drop on the spot. If at all possible you want them dead on the spot (we don't save hides either-not worth anything-but have to deliver the carcass to check-in) waste valuable time when having to track them.

OP
S
Mark at Precision Firearms. He's a Tier One custom rifle shop that has been specializing in Grendels since the beginning. At this point I'd trust his opinion on a Grendel rifle over ol' Bill Alexander. He's mostly benchrest, heavy rifles, but will build whatever you want. Just tell him what you want and he'll get you set up. If you want something a little cheaper and quicker, I'd go to Alexander Arms. They're the company that originally developed the 6.5 Grendel. They probably have something off the shelf that would work for you.

What ranges are you shooting at and what game are you after?
Coyotes and hogs--realistcally most are shot 150 and in. But some will hang up and some 300+ shots will happen.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Coyotes and hogs--realistcally most are shot 150 and in. But some will hang up and some 300+ shots will happen.
If that's all your shooting go check out the Lilja SBR Barrel group buy thread on the 65grendel forum. I ran that group buy several years ago and if memory serves we got into some in-depth conversation over hunting hogs and yotes and what range we could effectively hunt with the 11.5" and 12.5" barrels. A couple of the guys were in the thread were working on a discussing an extreme lightweight build they were working on.

OP
S
If that's all your shooting go check out the Lilja SBR Barrel group buy thread on the 65grendel forum. I ran that group buy several years ago and if memory serves we got into some in-depth conversation over hunting hogs and yotes and what range we could effectively hunt with the 11.5" and 12.5" barrels. A couple of the guys were in the thread were working on a discussing an extreme lightweight build they were working on.
Will check it out. Thanks for the lead. Ya at night we aren't shooting that far on average.

I have looked at them some, need to explore them a little more and get weights. My current set up is 7.5lbs bare rifle. Was hoping to shave another lb + off.
I'd definitely give them a call, great customer service.
From the pictures they're medium contour fluted barrel looks a lot thinner than mine. I can weigh mine this even when I get home if you'd like.
My guess is you could probably get under 7lbs with a 16" fluted barrel and short handguard.
I bought their velocity trigger, very nice.