Lightest Stainless Water Bottles

Anyone have suggestions for the lightest weight stainless water bottles for backpacking? Preferably in 32 or 40 oz, Insulated or non-insulated. Here's what I'm finding:

Insulated:
Hydroflask Trail Series 32 - 12.5 oz
Hydroflask Trail Series 40 - 13 oz
Vargo Para-Bottle 32 - 15 oz
GSI Microlite 32 - 13 oz

Uninsulated:
Vargo Para-Bottle 34 - 8.8 oz
Klean Kanteen 40 - 8.6 oz

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR
Anyone have suggestions for the lightest weight stainless water bottles for backpacking? Preferably in 32 or 40 oz, Insulated or non-insulated. Here's what I'm finding:

Insulated:
Hydroflask Trail Series 32 - 12.5 oz
Hydroflask Trail Series 40 - 13 oz
Vargo Para-Bottle 32 - 15 oz

Uninsulated:
Vargo Para-Bottle 34 - 8.8 oz
Klean Kanteen 40 - 8.6 oz

I have the Klean Kanteen 40. So far so good. Put a human gear cap/lid on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
2 of my insulated gsi microlites no longer keep things hot or cold..fill those with hot coffee and you can really feel the heat right away when handling them...my other 4 are fine, have had all those for maybe 12 years.

fyi- gsi make the microlight in two sizes with a pop top lid that you can drink from without unscrewing it.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Alright here's how these stack up.

Klean Kanteen 40oz (Un-Insulated)
Listed Weight - 8.6oz
Actual Weight (w/cap) - 10.0oz
Actual Weight (wo/cap) - 7.4oz

A good amount of weight that can be shaved off the cap. 2.6oz cap weight.

IMG_9982.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG

GSI Microlite 33oz (Insulated)
Listed Weight - 13oz
Actual Weight (w/cap) - 13.9oz
Actual Weight (wo/cap) - 11.5oz

Again, a decent amount of cap weight. 2.4oz. Surprising that this one is lighter given it is insulated. A lot of excessive plastic on the Klean Kanteen top.

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

Nalgene 48oz HDPE and standard 32oz for reference.

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

A little disappointed that the stainless bottles aren't particularly close to their listed weights. Will be looking for cap replacement options. Nalgene top did screw on to both but leaked.

Have you looked at the 24 oz in the Trail Series? I know you referenced them at the start, but the 24 oz comes in at a nudge over 9 oz (with insulated lid) and works excellent. Slim design really keeps it tucked in the pocket of a pack, too.

I went back and forth between 32 and 24 and realized I was agonizing over what amounted to a single gulp.

…which could amount to life or death if we’re talking about one final swig of a good coffee in November now that I think of it…haha!🤔

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Have you looked at the 24 oz in the Trail Series? I know you referenced them at the start, but the 24 oz comes in at a nudge over 9 oz (with insulated lid) and works excellent. Slim design really keeps it tucked in the pocket of a pack, too.

I went back and forth between 32 and 24 and realized I was agonizing over what amounted to a single gulp.

…which could amount to life or death if we’re talking about one final swig of a good coffee in November now that I think of it…haha!🤔
Yeah I prefer at least 32. I carry that 48 Nalgene now.

Stickbow

FNG
Thank you for posting up the weights, Ive been looking for one of these for a while. I like to be able to heat water in mine over a stove or fire. wonder how much that capcap would save on the kleenkanteen. Amazon has it listed at 1.44 oz.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Thank you for posting up the weights, Ive been looking for one of these for a while. I like to be able to heat water in mine over a stove or fire. wonder how much that capcap would save on the kleenkanteen. Amazon has it listed at 1.44 oz.
Yeah I thought about that but went powder coated to reduce the potential for glare/shine on a bare stainless. I'm trying to reduce plastic, which is kind of silly considering my freeze dried meals are in plastic, water filter is plastic, etc.

Looking for a real simple, stainless cap but not sure one exists.

Stickbow

FNG
Hadnt considered shine, if you put it over a fire once it will be a nice dusty black real quick hah. And hey less plastic is still better in my mind. Plus if you ever put hot water in it metal is definitely better for you. I dig the Vargo Bot as well but just too expensive for me.